kinda FAQ

First let me say thank you for the brilliant job of reviving EnB. I can tell you that in the first hour of playing I had a wide smile on my face the entire time! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed E&B.

I think there is a need for an FAQ for those of us that haven't been following the efforts all along. The FAQ on net-7 is good for "how do I get started", but I'm curious about things like:

1. What is the long-term goal of the project? To recreate the original, or to go beyond it and modernize (Earth and Beyond and Beyond)?
  2. In the same vein, how much flexibility is there in updating the client, e.g. graphics, chat, markets, DX10/DX11, etc? Or is the development focused on server-only changes? What are the constraints?
  3. What stage of the project are we in? What stages are planned? Are there wipes expected at certain transitions?
  4. Are the dev teams looking for certain things in particular? (Printouts of item stats from Live? Particular skills in coding/art/etc? Testing of particular features?)
  5. Do you want people out there "drumming up business", e.g. posting to MMORPG discussion sites? Or should it be low key at this point?
  6. One of the creative things about the original was the way the game would change from month to month -- vrix invasions as an example? Will the universe be static or dynamic?

There have probably been discussions on such topics, but I didn't spot them readily.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for making this newbie-oldbie remember what he liked about this gem.

There have probably been discussions on such topics, but I didn't spot them readily.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but honestly you must not have looked very hard. Yes, there have been many discussions on the topics you list - and, IMO, it would be much better to continue those discussions in the existing threads rather than try to start a whole new one here.

• Upvote 1

Please don't take this the wrong way, but honestly you must not have looked very hard. Yes, there have been many discussions on the topics you list - and, IMO, it would be much better to continue those discussions in the existing threads rather than try to start a whole new one here.

Actually I'm not looking for answers in this thread; I'm suggesting they might make good topics for an FAQ. I'm still digging though threads for answers, and the questions seem like they belong in a "project mission statement" or something. It's hard to see the forest.

Edited by Calatin

This would be nice to have all in one topic. I can say for sure they can't mess with the client much if at all due to EA but they can and do add new content. Were a ways off from having all the content that was in live like vrix but we're getting there and there are already some sectors that weren't in live and the unreleased classes are in. Dev team's making great strides. Welcome back!

First let me say thank you for the brilliant job of reviving EnB. I can tell you that in the first hour of playing I had a wide smile on my face the entire time! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed E&B.

I think there is a need for an FAQ for those of us that haven't been following the efforts all along. The FAQ on net-7 is good for "how do I get started", but I'm curious about things like:

1. What is the long-term goal of the project? To recreate the original, or to go beyond it and modernize (Earth and Beyond and Beyond)?

2. In the same vein, how much flexibility is there in updating the client, e.g. graphics, chat, markets, DX10/DX11, etc? Or is the development focused on server-only changes? What are the constraints?

3. What stage of the project are we in? What stages are planned? Are there wipes expected at certain transitions?

4. Are the dev teams looking for certain things in particular? (Printouts of item stats from Live? Particular skills in coding/art/etc? Testing of particular features?)

5. Do you want people out there "drumming up business", e.g. posting to MMORPG discussion sites? Or should it be low key at this point?

6. One of the creative things about the original was the way the game would change from month to month -- vrix invasions as an example? Will the universe be static or dynamic?

Thanks for listening, and thanks for making this newbie-oldbie remember what he liked about this gem.

Actually, this is something we do need. The FAQ on the Net-7 portal is limited at the moment, and could use some expansion. Here are some general answers to your qeustions:

1. The current goal of the project is to restore Earth & Beyond functionally to its original state at launch. Well-documented missions from live are being re-created, while others are being replaced with our own original content. Once the emulator reaches the state Earth & Beyond was in at launch, we will determine whether or not to move forward and continue developing content and server enhancements for the game. Regardless, the servers will remain up and running as long as there are players willing to donate to keep them alive.

2. We have practically no ability to change the client, although it is possible to add assets to it. This means that we can add new 3D models and sounds, although as of yet we've had trouble getting certain things to work with the client, such as animations and effects. Currently, we are focused on building a fully functioning server to emulate the original Earth & Beyond servers, so we are most concerned with server code, as opposed to adding to and/or changing the client.

3. We are currently in the midst of Stress Test 4, as we have been since early 2010. The next logical stage for the emulator is Alpha, which are working hard to progress to, and should reach within the first half of 2011. The current stage of development implies that the server and content is incomplete, and that players should not expect a flawless playing experience. That said, we have made a huge amount of progress and are steadily working toward matching the functionality of the original Earth & Beyond servers.

4. We have a vast collection of information, screenshots, etc. built up which we use as references in reconstructing the game. We are currently no longer in need of additional information from the players on the original state of the game. We are, hoever, always looking for individuals with skills in C++ and/or C# .NET programming who are willing to dedicate some of their time to helping with server and/or tools programming. The developers will request that certain things be tested as the need arises; normally, we only ask that players enjoy playing the game and let us know when they encounter bugs.

5. Not quite yet. We want to get to a more stable stage of development and to improve our facilities for installing the game and connecting to our servers before we want to invite what, hopefully, will be floods of players to the emulator.

6. This has not been decided yet. We will have to see what resources and staff we have available once we reach a "like-live:" stage of development wherein we feel confident that the server is fully functional and stable and that the next logical step is to move forward and create new content and progress the storyline of the game.

If anyone has other questions they'd like to see in the FAQ, please post them. I'll run this thread by the developers to ensure accuracy and we'll get it posted to the FAQ once we feel it's correct and fairly complete.

• What is the long-term goal of the project? To recreate the original, or to go beyond it and modernize (Earth and Beyond and Beyond)?
The original goal was a functional game, which we've made it to. The more modernized goal was to try to restore it to launch day (aside from fixes they made for balance which we are either correcting or restoring all the way to the end of the game as appropriate). Many of our developers have expressed an interest in doing more beyond launch, all we can say at this time is "We'll see!" because you never know what will happen by then. :)
  • In the same vein, how much flexibility is there in updating the client, e.g. graphics, chat, markets, DX10/DX11, etc? Or is the development focused on server-only changes? What are the constraints?

As stated by CDel, the client is pretty limited in the things we can accomplish. New assets and art, and some minor changes to the interface are possible, but for the most part not all that much, at least that we know of. I have a team member who spends their time trying to discern the mysteries of the client for just that reason to see if we can do anything to modernize (aside from writing a whole new client!). Chat is really controlled by the server, and not so much the client, so we can do pretty much anything with it. DX10/11 nothing can be done for without a whole new client. Mainly server changes because this controls the game experience for the most part aside from the sound and graphics. There aren't really any constraints other than we obviously can't sell it as a product of course, as EA owns the IP.

• What stage of the project are we in? What stages are planned? Are there wipes expected at certain transitions?
Stress Test IV, after this, Alpha > Beta > Live. Wipes? Hopefully we can avoid them but if technical requirements demand it, then so be it. I imagine if we had to we'd probably increase the experience to allow people time to get one character back up towards the end-game levels though I don't want to speak for the entire team there are occasionally times that we need data about leveling speed and this is invalidated by super experience.
  • Are the dev teams looking for certain things in particular? (Printouts of item stats from Live? Particular skills in coding/art/etc? Testing of particular features?)

Hm, As CDel said, C++ and C# .NET are always useful. I occasionally pick up new talent for my content team when someone shows me the willingness to work and understands that its not just a title and powers.

• Do you want people out there "drumming up business", e.g. posting to MMORPG discussion sites? Or should it be low key at this point?
This is really up to the community, but we would prefer to wait for the Alpha release to get too many people flooding in.
  • One of the creative things about the original was the way the game would change from month to month -- vrix invasions as an example? Will the universe be static or dynamic?

Dynamic.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Dakynos' timestamp='1301008078' post='37139']
Glad it helped, I may pin it, but we have so many at the moment
[/quote]

Or someone could just as easily add them to the portal?

I made it so all GM's and above can add FAQ and re-order them :)

I think this is the right place to put this. Kyp replied to a post I made a couple months ago that I was in #1 mode. I've been thinking about that since then. What would make the game fun for me that would also make it more fun for everyone else? This is my request. Get all the devices in game! First, everything that was in the so-called hulk-a-thon because not all players had equal access to that bug. And then everything else. That's my wish. Just get all the devices in-game!!!! I'll be away all weekend, and this is my parting wish. Thank you DEVs for giving me back my favorite online activity. Thank you for giving me a place to go when my kids are sick and I am worried. Thank you, thank you. I am very grateful.