Server crashing due to people trying to Dual Net7 on one box?

Servers gone down for several hours today and everyone feels its from people running two or more Net7's off of one box. If this is the case maybe its time to shut down this option untill it can be further tested on the Dev server. I would love to run two toons on one computer and I have since last night but I would much rather be able to run one toon off one box without the fear of the Server shutting down.

Its a great idea but it appears the Server is having a hard time with it. I hope it can be fixed so we can dual account on one box but untill we know its for sure working I think its best to just take it away... what do you think?

-WhiteTrash

If it is related to multiple logins causing the server to fall over, then Yes I to think it should be disallowed.

A soultion I can think of is to limit it to 1 connection per IP... but then Me and My father wouldn't be able to play together under the same roof then :(

Unless the Almighty devs have a trick up there sleeves like, one instance of Net7proxy.exe may run at a time ^_^

hi there, nothing to do with multiple clients,

it was caused by an old bug that's been lurking there un-triggered for a few months. I've fixed it now, along with a few other similar potential null-pointer bugs I found in the same file.

Sometimes these code-mines lurk in there undiscovered for ages awaiting the right edge condition to trigger them.

server is back up again.

Personally I don't like to run multiple clients as it's extra hassle, but I know some people do and there's nothing wrong with it, there's always plenty of capacity on the server - I don't think I've seen it get above 70% (150 slots still remaining), so I don't think the extra clients are a problem at all. I found a couple of group bugs while I was dual-clienting too.

cheers,

TB

^_^ good to know about the bug fixes, it is strange how they don't appear for a while then all of a sudden bring it all down.

*shakes fist at pc*

however about dual-clienting, I'd get too confused, probs try and fire missiles from my JE.. no wait, wrong window :(

getting server to it's knees and hopefully to crash is the very purpose of stress test.

absolutely, if the server hadn't been hammered during ST3 no way would have the system we have today.

If the server can't handle all the extra people that dual boxing may bring then it needs another re-think.

Well, we're trying to stress the client/server, not the devs. lol

I am glad for the option to use 2 accounts on 1 computer, but haven't actually tried it yet. I partitioned the 2nd drive on my wifes' computer (vista doesn't really like enb), and put xp on one partition, and ME on another (wanted to play some old games). EnB runs very nicely with xp on her system, so I dual box. I might try putting my main account, and my mule account both online on my system, and her account on her computer, and see how it goes. Hmm, dragging low lvl alts around for explore lvls sounds like a plan.

Between both of our main accounts, we have 2 je, 2 tt, 1 jt, and 1 ts, so we needed extra room for ores and comps. Now I'm thinking about setting up a mule account for her. lol

Well, we're trying to stress the client/server, not the devs. lol

I am glad for the option to use 2 accounts on 1 computer, but haven't actually tried it yet. I partitioned the 2nd drive on my wifes' computer (vista doesn't really like enb), and put xp on one partition, and ME on another (wanted to play some old games). EnB runs very nicely with xp on her system, so I dual box. I might try putting my main account, and my mule account both online on my system, and her account on her computer, and see how it goes. Hmm, dragging low lvl alts around for explore lvls sounds like a plan.

Between both of our main accounts, we have 2 je, 2 tt, 1 jt, and 1 ts, so we needed extra room for ores and comps. Now I'm thinking about setting up a mule account for her. lol

Keep in mind that while we may become exasperated from time to time, you'll never stress us that much. We'll always take a step back if needed so we can recuperate. :)

ll

Wait just a hot minute.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Are we capable (in theory) of running multiple instances of Net-7 proxy on the same computer, without having to use a virtual machine (VM) or a second actual computer?

Because I sure wouldn't mind swapping stuff between mules without taking 20 minutes to spin up VMware and having to drop everything into no-sound/lowest-graphics mode, and kill all other unnecessary background services....

Edited by -Seeker-

Wait just a hot minute.

Am I understanding ths correctly?

Are we capable (in theory) of running multiple instances of Net-7 proxy on the same computer, without having to use a virtual machine (VM) or a second actual computer?

yes, the latest net7proxy allows you to start multiple clients without VM. Just run the launcher as many times as you want clients running (remember you need a separate account for each client).