Server status (current) (unofficial)

I just restarted it, sorry folks, wasn't around much today. Dunno why it's being unstable, my former theory turned out to not be it, something is just causing the "login server" as you all call it to crash and then not restart itself. Still trying to isolate it as the sunrise server doesn't run in "dev mode" so we can see the innards when things crash.

The server notification (Zackman) current thread has been unlocked. Please notify server outages on there but please do not keep adding comments there for the same outage. This thread server notifications current by janwarrior does not notify EnB staff of outages.

Maybe renaming this thread would reduce the risk of confusion.

the original was locked after the initial reports to prevent multiple messages being sent to staff emails for the same outage. When the server is restarted the thread is then unlocked and available for the next time.

You could leave yours up for players to add their comments & experiences which will not be sent to the team as a server failure notification.

• Janwarrior changed the title to Server status (current) (unofficial)
15 hours ago, Kyp said:

We think we may have narrowed on the cause a bit, letting it run to see if it makes it a few more hours.

server with an uptime over 16 hours now. Thanks @Kyp, think you nailed it

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw, at the most recent "login server" crash, the following happened to me:

just before login server died: level 34 explore, 90% explore XP to the next level.

i was still in game, so i figured i would warp around to a few asteroids and top off to level 35.

i just barely reach level 35, then i get kicked off (presumably things were restarted)

i log back in, to find myself at level 35 explore, with 98% explore towards the next level. in other words, the game gave me a whole free level. the only way this makes sense is if the "XP to next level" had been saved to the database separately from my actual level, so the two got out of sync on the server reboot.

expected behavior: my character should be somewhere between level ~34.9 to 35 on login, not at level ~35.98.

i dont know if this is enough information to do any useful debugging with, but i figured it would be worth a note.

Edited by fioraaeterna
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fioraaeterna said:

fwiw, at the most recent "login server" crash, the following happened to me:

just before login server died: level 34 explore, 90% explore XP to the next level.

i was still in game, so i figured i would warp around to a few asteroids and top off to level 35.

i just barely reach level 35, then i get kicked off (presumably things were restarted)

i log back in, to find myself at level 35 explore, with 98% explore towards the next level. in other words, the game gave me a whole free level. the only way this makes sense is if the "XP to next level" had been saved to the database separately from my actual level, so the two got out of sync on the server reboot.

expected behavior: my character should be somewhere between level ~34.9 to 35 on login, not at level ~35.98.

i dont know if this is enough information to do any useful debugging with, but i figured it would be worth a note.

Interesting report, but I don't think related. At least unless you can crash the server on logging that character in now. :)

In this person's case, it had to do with having executed a trade and at an almost identical tick the server crashed for another reason, saving your inventory is done on something of a cycle, albeit a very short one, so chances are your 'free level' simply came from the overall server software being forcefully terminated before that save can complete. I'll note it as a bug for us to look at and fix though. ;)

• 2 weeks later...