job terminal botting

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1320791383' post='48239']
the macros can read the job levels?? I didn't realise they were that advanced. So they take a screen shot and read that?
[/quote]
There were two ways to read text from the screen or window. The macro mapped an area of pixels and could compare it to a chunk of pixels saved from before, or could try to figure out the text word by word using the same pixel matching technique and return a string of characters to the macro. A basic routine would just deal with numbers 0-9 like "5791".

Two of the popular tools back in the day when E&B was live were Xylobot and AC Tool. Xylobot had better features but cost money to use ($20US) but the developer didn't care about E&B and wouldn't add proper support. AC Tool was free and the developers liked E&B and added support but otherwise AC Tool only had a fraction of the scripting power of Xylobot.

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1320797465' post='48244']
... power of Xylobot.
[/quote]

Xylobot sounds like something that would try to take over the world, but could be sent critical with a bit of simple thinking:

Hoochie24:

"Hi Xylobot, everything Catnipper says is a lie!"

Catnipper:

"Hi Xylobot, I'm lying!"

Xylobot bursts into flames.

Or...

Louder:

"Hi Xylobot, WHY?"

Xylobot starts venting smoke and plasma, then melts into a lump of smouldering debris.

As far as job macros are concerned, most if not all that I know of or can make anyway, especially the ones that have to dock and find a terminal, rely on split second timing to get to there destination, even a millisecond off and there useless so if anyone thinks there's an advantage in using them they should try one out lol. Other macros depend on finding a combination of colors or shapes to identify things and decide if they exist or not to perform a certain action, if the resolution or even gamma is off a bit they don't work so what it comes down to is people spend more time tuning the macro then actually using them. I have seen macros that advertise they can do this or that and in theory it all looks good but nothing is reliable enough to run unattended for more then a few runs and if your bio break takes a few more minutes then planed you might have to get yourself a JS or at best find yourself a million km smacked against sectors edge somewhere.

Mining macros might save you from carpal tunnel but there slow as heck compared to humans so if your in a hurry forget about them, on a good day I can mine with the best but those are far and few so I,m content with just looking at the clouds or reading the forums while my dumb macro mines on the average 1/4 of what I could do when my pain meds kick in :rolleyes:(

Combat macros, sure I use them to get RD faction on a toon, takes like 3 days compared to 6-8 hours I could do, on a good day of curse, but hey, I'm not in a hurry, if you are, you best forget the macro.

The bottom line....for those people that feel threatened or disadvantaged by some one they think is using a macro, first, PM them and say hey, whats up dude, if your using a macro can you give me a break so i can lvl my toon? if they don't respond in a few minutes PM them again, the rules say 5-10 minutes, hey you decide, if they still don't respond by all means report them, I don't condone unattended macros and either should you.

my 2 cents, Rez over and out..........

I have changed jobs so there's more on each terminal, and for the first 15 seconds, the jobs are shared between all people connected, so the jobs you can see no one else can. After the full job list has built (about 15 seconds) the whole list becomes visible to everyone.

Let's see how we get on with this system.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1320685246' post='48181']
Jobs all getting instantly snatched from the VT terminal?! The emulator ... emulates live!

In live you almost had to own at the least your own macro to take jobs at VT to beat the competition otherwise you'd never get any jobs at all. I guess the only "fair" way settle this competition is to offer jobs per user instead of a pool of jobs for all users to grab from. It won't stop the macros but it'd be a step forward.
[/quote]

Or, simply offer more jobs or change the refresh timer.