YAPRW - Yet Another Pop Rock Whine

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1323386648' post='49367']
I was killed today by a pop rock explosion. I understand your pain but I was trying to mine a level 5 ore with only level 3 prospect so I probably deserved it.
[/quote]

Shouldn't that be doable, if you're using an apropriate reactor and PM mining device? The guardians; however, may make such a thing impractical in some cases.

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1323335236' post='49341']
Sounds good to me. I just have one point of feedback, and that's on the chance of successful ore pull. It should go up with the explorers prospect level and down with the level of the ore. Not just down with the ore level. If that's the way it currently works, just ignore my comment...
[/quote]

ah yes I like, so if you have a higher level prospect skill, mining a lower level pop rock, you'll have a greater chance of success ...

Nice mechanic, if no-one has any objection I'll put that in.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323393202' post='49372']
ah yes I like, so if you have a higher level prospect skill, mining a lower level pop rock, you'll have a greater chance of success ...

Nice mechanic, if no-one has any objection I'll put that in.
[/quote]

No objection here, that's a good thing to put in. Gives a good reason to use PM mining devices while leveling up. Once you've got Prospect 7 and L7 Devices, you can hit effective L10 Prospect with a L7 Miner or Sculptor.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323393202' post='49372']ah yes I like, so if you have a higher level prospect skill, mining a lower level pop rock, you'll have a greater chance of success ...

Nice mechanic, if no-one has any objection I'll put that in.[/quote]
You have my wholehearted support.

ok it's in.

The chance of a successful pull now varies between 1 and 50%.

You'll get a 50% chance if you have a level 10 prospect skill (via devices) and are attempting to pull a level 1 pop rock.

You get about a 15% chance to pull a level 9 pop rock with a level 10 prospect skill.

OTOH if you're trying to pull a level 5 ore with a level 3 prospect skill, that would drop to around 8% chance. This drops away steadily depending on the difference between the two.

I added it as conservative to begin with, but I guess maybe we could broaden the range out to about 80% for the first case; it should be like 'pickpocket' for AD&D thieves maybe. A high level guy should be able to successfully pickpocket a lower level without much danger.

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1323732484' post='49634']
something needs to be done with this, 3 mobs 2 de-buffs and a pop is overkill from 1 roid, and I seen even worse
[/quote]

did you keep trying to pull the ores while it was collapsing? Yep I gotta make sure this can't be done. When the roid pops it should close the mining window.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323734474' post='49638']
did you keep trying to pull the ores while it was collapsing? Yep I gotta make sure this can't be done. When the roid pops it should close the mining window.
[/quote]

no i cloaked for a few secs and mined again, wanted to see how many would spawn, 3 mobs and 2 de-buffs later it popped, i didn't spam mine another words

oh and another thing, after explosion I CTD a few times, might want to check it out Edited by Rezwalker

[quote name='Rezwalker' timestamp='1323734888' post='49639']
no i cloaked for a few secs and mined again, wanted to see how many would spawn, 3 mobs and 2 de-buffs later it popped, i didn't spam mine another words

oh and another thing, after explosion I CTD a few times, might want to check it out
[/quote]

so are the pop rocks staying open after mob spawn?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1323737583' post='49642']
so are the pop rocks staying open after mob spawn?
[/quote]

As you posted, the detonation, mob, and buff/debuff are being decided independently, so if it spawns a mob and/or causes a buff/debuff without detonating, the rock/hulk will remain to be re-triggered. Only a detonation will currently de-spawn the rock/hulk, was it intended for all effects to de-spawn it? Personally I prefer the current way it works, gives additional attempts to mine if it doesn't detonate, and that's not something to complain about IMO.

Once it has detonated though, you cannot mine the ores or re-trigger the pop during it's de-spawning animation, even though the loot window remains open. This has been fixed from previous when you could mine it after it popped.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1323787541' post='49656']
Personally I prefer the current way it works, gives additional attempts to mine if it doesn't detonate, and that's not something to complain about IMO.
[/quote]

In my last multiple mob/de-buff encounter I was left with 15k hull after the explosion and killing 2 lvl 51 and 1 lvl 50 that spawned, needless to say i had to stop mining and go get fixed, my other option was to leave the mobs wonder the sector and let the next unsuspecting miner deal with them. Anyway you look at it its a losing proposition so that's why I disagree with your thoughts on the matter.

yes, luckily it was simple enough that I could live patch the fix too - I checked and it's no longer doing this. Have a go.

One thing I did notice though is that it should really close the roid content popup when it blows. I'll get that fixed for the next restart.