Ship Decals

Mimir

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Now that we are allowing player submitted tattoos, how about ship decals? I was thinking that guild decals would be a great addition.[/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]To keep others from buying a guilds decal we could use the token idea.

One token for a player guild decal, two tokens for an player officer decal, and 3 plus tokens for guild lead decal.

The guild leader would have as many tokens as needed to assure that all members would be able to get their decal. [/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]If a member leaves the guild the token would go poof from their inventory and the decal would likewise go poof off of their ship. [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]This needs some further fleshing out but I think it has some merit. Even if coding is not available at this time it could be added to the back burner stack for later.

Discussion?
Additional ideas?
Suggestions?[/size][/font]

yeah no worries, if you can come up with the design (in the right format) we can add it, as long as it's not offensive or anything! And when I say that I just mean use common sense - like the Memphis Belle decal is neat, but if you had things being done to her - even if she seemed to be enjoying it - it probably wouldn't be appropriate.

you can design and test new logos quite easily.

Here's one way:

[list=1]
[*]Download [url="http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/tools/files/Photoshop_Plugins_8.51.0816.1945.exe"]this plugin[/url] for photoshop, and install. This is the Nvidia .dds creation plugin.
[*]Install the XCC tools (look on google), open the 'Mixer' tool, and extract one of the decals from mixfile_art_14.mix - they are called DEC0001.dds to DEC0173.dds. Just right click on the decal and extract to \earth and beyond\data\client\art. You're best off using DEC0001.dds as then it'll replace the first decal.
[*]Design your logo however you want, starting from the .dds template you extracted.
[*]Save the file to the same directory, using the DDS setting 'DXT5 ARGB 8bpp | interpolated alpha', 2D Texture, and in the MIP map generation box click 'use Existing MIP maps' and pick '7' from the box.
[/list]

Load up the game and you should see the decal when you design your ship.

Note that other players will still see the old decal unless they have that file on their PC. Once you submit the new decal we can put it into a patch and then everyone will see it.

For guild decals, the best thing would be to give guild officers the ability to replace any existing decal with a slash command (for any other guild member), this way if you design a particularly cool decal you won't have every man and his dog choosing it in the ship design screen.

[quote name='Drifter' timestamp='1316780577' post='46516']
what happens if you don't have photo-shop? there should be another way...
[/quote]

Go to the Nvidia site pointed to above and download the command prompt tools. I use a combo of Gimp (free) and an old Paint Shop Pro (also free). Do your work at least 4 times the 64 x 64 size (256x256). Use gimp to save in a png, or bmp format.

Use Gimp to resize to 64x64.

after unzipping the tools from above add them to your path statement.

Run CMD from the Start

Change to the directory you created or are working from for your now reduced decal and

cd [directory name]/[additional directories if needed]

type the following at the command prompt;

nvdxt -file [your file name here.png] -dxt5 -alpha -volumeMap -nmips 7

Follow the rest of Tienbau's directions.

The current tatoo are out of whack in game. The scaling isn't correct (squished), and the alpha isn't correctly applied. I see the edges of several of them in the toon editor, so they aren't right (former RL game dev making this observation). Please test it first and get it right before patching everyone.

Also, just so it gets said, many players feel that this is a move away from the actual core work needing to be done. Just mentioning it in market or general chat seems to draw out these comments by the players. I do understand that development sometimes requires a diversion to get away from the monotony of the day to day work, but please be aware of this issue. :)

Thanks for reading...

-Overt.
  • Like 1