revenue generation

I know this might be a far fetched idea but has any one thought to approach places like dominoes pizza, taco bell,mc donalds to advertise on this game. From past experance I know they are open to the idea.Gamers play alot and get hungry. I also saw an ad in a game for citibank on a billboard. You have a large fan base and a lot of screens in the stations. Say something like "for a piece of the terrian home world buy dominoes." or For the best progen tacos buy taco bell. Just a thought.

I sure do like the idea of Progen tacos, bet they'd be nice and spicy. The problem with in-game ads is twofold: First, we already modify the EnB client, which EA owns the rights to, but doing so to add adverts and generate revenue would be a pretty blatant use of EA's intellectual property for gain. Second, I don't think we could get advertisers. Real MMO companies hire teams of lawyers to help them broker those ad deals, and the usual small-time advertiser, the mighty and powerful Google, dropped us like a hot rock after they saw what we do. :D

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1312902072' post='44522']
I sure do like the idea of Progen tacos, bet they'd be nice and spicy. The problem with in-game ads is twofold: First, we already modify the EnB client, which EA owns the rights to, but doing so to add adverts and generate revenue would be a pretty blatant use of EA's intellectual property for gain. Second, I don't think we could get advertisers. Real MMO companies hire teams of lawyers to help them broker those ad deals, and the usual small-time advertiser, the mighty and powerful Google, dropped us like a hot rock after they saw what we do. :D
[/quote]

Should approach EA and just ask them if they would name a price on the EA intellectual rights. They don't want to use it and its getting close to the 10 year mark of being considered abandon ware.. If they want to make a bit of coin then all we have to do is ask them to let us pay royalties to them for full usage and rights to use the Int rights.

Bitstorm

[quote name='Ramses' timestamp='1312917544' post='44529']
Out of curiosity, what makes you think they would give up the rights for something they have invested lots of money in for pocketchange?
[/quote]

They didn't actually 'invest' anything. They bought out westwood studios in order to get the 'game engine' in order to create sims online. They promptly shut the EnB servers down 6 months after the final closure of the main studio occured.

EA doesn't care about EnB. I know a couple of 'friends' (i use that term loosely) that work at EA sports and they know about this and don't care about it. This has been taken notice by EA and they haven't done anything to shut it down. Most game companies would send cease and desist orders if they got wind of this time of reverse engineering of their code. Which they haven't.

That said, i think they would be very agreeable to 'rid' of the IP (intellectual property) in order to get the EA name back out there again for games like this. EA may even want to stay on as consulting partners etc.

Its something that would need to be addressed legally through a lawyer etc as a general query to EA.

Bitstorm

Recent searches have shown us that EA cancelled their trademark on this game. The only thing still in effect would be the For hire Copyright on the material. (95 years from date of publication)

With that said, revenue generation is something we intend to stay away from where possible, and Bit, I believe you approached me in a PM about that. Give me a way to reach your contact and we'll find out.

Kyp

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1312922666' post='44534']
Recent searches have shown us that EA cancelled their trademark on this game. The only thing still in effect would be the For hire Copyright on the material. (95 years from date of publication)

With that said, revenue generation is something we intend to stay away from where possible, and Bit, I believe you approached me in a PM about that. Give me a way to reach your contact and we'll find out.

Kyp
[/quote]

Yes i had forgotten about that lol. The 'friend' said that it would be best to do a general inquiry from an out side party that has nothing to do with 'this' to inquire about obtaining the IP.. (intellectual property) and then go from there.

I will get the appropriate info soon.

Bitstorm

This will no doubt be another failed attempt.

They are a massive company and you have absolutely nothing to offer them.

But I'm hope I'm wrong and someone on this forum has an illegitimate child with the CEO...

That's good news that EA dumped the trademark registration. I do think it would be hard to get them to hand over or license the game materials to us though. There's very little in it for them to gain, and the process would require them to assign some legal professionals to work it out, which costs cash money - corporations don't like to spend money if there's nothing to gain by it. It's always worth a try though - it would be awesome if we didn't have to question our every action, worrying it might get us sued.

Don't about legalities..or if it would profit them to bother, or if they would want logo off or on etc etc. and them canceling copyright is encouraging...wonder if a F2P model to address anything they might want/not want would be a route anyone has considered. Turbine has made quite a go of it taking up DnD and LoTRO and paying over a paltry amount for DnD, and a finger in the mix for the estate of Tolkien in regards to LoTRO direction.

Maybe for a simple (it's never simple with lawyers I know :D) we won't embarrass you EA and will carry/ not carry your logo for the consideration of a legal agreement from you to not sue us. Or maybe a F2P model agreement that we give you 5% of reciepts, you stay out of our way, we stay out of your way deal etc. Just a off the top off the head idea, worked for others, maybe in this instance also.

If they canceled the trademark then I'd just stay under cover till the 10 yr mark hits. As for revenue someone mentioned the idea of a monthly fee for each forum account. The suggestion was 50 cents I believe , probably to little to guarantee enough to run the server tho. Maybe 5 dollars would work and since its a "Forum" fee and the game is abandon ware there should be no legal issues. Assuming y'all wait till the game is officially abandon ware.