Old player here with old question

I'm an old player of this game. I had a crazy built up TE with tons of recipes of engines and weapons of every type. One of my biggest beefs at that time was that even if you had maxed out builder skills, your chance to fail analysis of a given item was way higher then it should ever have been. I remember routinely failing analysis of items far below my builder skills' level. It was so bad that when I successfully analyzed an item, the feeling was akin to winning the lottery. What I want to know as a possibly returning player is whether this issue has been addressed to any extent or if not, will it be?

It's one of those little tricks the original devs came up with to keep you playing longer. More fails means more time spent farming for analyzables.

Whether or not the analyze chance has been increased in this version.. can't say for sure, but it doesn't really feel like it when I'm analyzing.

Not too sure I want changes to the analyse system.
Took me 10 tries to get the Zet ML, and at around 25mil per to buy, it took a while.
Luck place a big part in the game.
You may get it on the first try and be the uber seller for that item for a while.
I say leave the odds as they are. There are plenty of terminal devices etc that can improve your chances and dont forget, Always group with a TT :)

[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1312739006' post='44167']
Not too sure I want changes to the analyse system.
Took me 10 tries to get the Zet ML, and at around 25mil per to buy, it took a while.
Luck place a big part in the game.
You may get it on the first try and be the uber seller for that item for a while.
I say leave the odds as they are. There are plenty of terminal devices etc that can improve your chances and dont forget, Always group with a TT :)

[/quote]

Are you saying that the terminal devices work now? Something to do with them other than FB device. :) Also if grouping with a TT works does it also stand to reason that station faction for crafting is also now in game? If none of these are in yet the "lucky Lucky chicken bone" seems to still work the best.

I have been unable to detect anything other than skill level, number of prints, and build devices (ala Matrix) which help increase build quality.

One point of not however is that I can confirm that the build devices now stack - at least the major / minor. So Duct Tape stacks with Matrix and the Reactor/Shield build computers stack with Shield Prom and Scientists Data Cube now.

So some good news. :)

• 2 weeks later...
While I can understand the frustration of losing a valuable looted item to an analysis gone bad, I have to say that I don't think there should be a 100% chance of success. Trader activities has little enough risk as it is, and the whole point is that you are making an investment in the hopes of eventual reward. If that investment is minor and you are guaranteed to immediately make it back, then you've pretty much taken all the challenge out of the "game".

Plus, to me the chance of failure increases the diversity of Traders, and gives each a way to distinguish themselves from others. If every Trader in the game has exactly the same prints, then what is the point of searching around for a bargain? You might as well just give everyone all of the prints right off the bat when they learn the skill, then.

Perhaps the solution is to raise the chance of success for looted items, since they are so valuable, but keep it where it is for vendor items. Of course, every builder knows the trick up upgrading an item, and then breaking it back down so someone else can analyze it. Personally, I feel the problem is not the difficulty of getting rare items, but the difficulty of trading them. Guilds really have the advantage there, because they can take a loot item that the person who found it has already analyzed and pass it on to someone else.

Heck, IIRC back in live there was a chance that you could fail an analysis so badly you could never attempt that print again. I don't know if that's still the case.

[quote name='Dragoncove' timestamp='1313771681' post='44906']
Heck, IIRC back in live there was a chance that you could fail an analysis so badly you could never attempt that print again. I don't know if that's still the case.
[/quote]

you do not remember correctly

[quote name='rabidcajun' timestamp='1313774113' post='44908']
[/quote]
Well sort of...not EVER again..but for a long indefinable time.

Example: Z shields and archoes, everyone was on the lookout for the drop mob so they could print it, they saw the ammo and precursors but no items. When they WERE finally introduced, it was through the christmas even as a "gift" from santa. Some (like I) got those (I got a z shield), a guildy got a archoes, our guild shield builder failed the z shield :D, i failed the archoes :(. It was another 6 months before those items were finally put in via a mob drop to aquire, and try once again and pray to terminal god to not fail. So to SOME 6 months IS forever :) lol. But you are in reality correct, becuase we failed at christmas we didn't get shut out later when they did get dropped in.

I suspect what he is remembering is some of the missions were you was to get a chance at a recipe, some of them "didn't take" and the mission had to be repeated, but you never was totally shut out, you just had to go through the hastle to do the mission again.

There is however, instances now in EMU were you get shut out from recipes becuase of the way the recipes wre rewarded on a track and if you took wrong track, or progressed pass level requirements, or had HU awarded by GM then becuase of level restrictions you ARE shut out from ever getting the recipes, its a alpha/beta, there are bugs..(just wish that there was a way that devs would recognize that you did put the sweat in on the missions, and manually drop you the recipe so you didn't feel jipped)

[quote name='rabidcajun' timestamp='1313774113' post='44908']
[/quote]

You know, not that I think about it, I may have originally assumed when I failed an analysis, I could not try again. But I don't remember ever NOT learning a recipe, so I'm guessing I eventually figured out that I could just try another copy of the same item. I guess the idea sort of stuck in the back of my head. :D