Wandering roids

Tyran

I have always wondered if it was possible that some roids could move around. Like the movements of the comets in endriago and that thing that orbits the red dwarf in nifleheim cloud.

Only difference would be that these contain minable resources. Since you cannot mine while moving these roids would need to move fairly slowly across the sector so you can park yourself in front of their path to mine them.

They could orbit planets or move from one edge of the map to the other and disappear.

Why consider adding this? Well it could make mining a lot more dynamic.

Miners would not only do their normal routine of fixed fields, but could also come across the odd rogue roid. Also, entire fields could move through space and will therefore never be at a fixed position - a player would need to find it.

The method of mining is also somewhat different than the usual. You need to park yourself at the right spot to mine an incoming roid - not sure if this is easy or may require some skill. Ofcourse some roids could be made faster than others so your positioning needs to be better or you need to be able to mine the roid faster. Some roids could therefore be made to be farmable only by a fully kitted out high level miner.

And ofcourse, if these wandering roids are more trouble to mine and find, their reward could be adjusted accordingly.

How fast will they move? Maximum prospect range is 2.5Km, with Prospect 7, and it cannot be buffed beyond that range.

It could vary. With a 2.5k prospect range you have at most 5k distance travelled by the roid to prospect it.

The speed could probably be anything from 1 to 1000. Ofcourse they could go faster than this and still be prospectable.

How fast will they move? Maximum prospect range is 2.5Km, with Prospect 7, and it cannot be buffed beyond that range.

It could be coded such that you would automatically follow the roid while prospecting.

You may have noticed that in the intro video, there's actually a PS mining a roid while orbiting it, so moving while prospecting isn't an outlandish concept.

It could be coded such that you would automatically follow the roid while prospecting.

You may have noticed that in the intro video, there's actually a PS mining a roid while orbiting it, so moving while prospecting isn't an outlandish concept.

Yeah, I noticed that, they're mining the rings of a planet. Are all the classes represented in the video? I've definitely seen the JE, JW, JT, PE, PW, and TE (Scout), one ship I think is a TT but not sure, and don't think I've seen a TW or PT.

As long as it can be done, where it's still minable I don't have any objection to it, I was just wondering how it would work out given prospect range and needing to be stationary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what we need is an 'orbit' button in addition to the follow button for mobs. Click orbit to orbit the planet - or a comet you want to mine :( I'd finally be able to mine that comet in Uranus instead of just looking at it.

Better yet, let's just make it so we can land on them and mine too. Match speed... land... boom you're set to mine.