Privateer - Why menace?

Right, why do Privateers have menace?

To me, menace is a profession defining skill belonging to Sentinels.

Next question: why have Privateers not got gravity link?

Gravity link is a race defining skill for Progens, every Progen should have it. It's like negotiate for Terrans or Scan for Jenquai - the whole race features the race defining skill in all their professions.

It still leaves Privateers without a profession defining skill. If I could go back in time I would alter history - the original Earth & Beyond would feature Privateers and they would get shield charging instead of the traders. Alas, that is how the game originally evolved and traders pretty much own the shield charging skill now.

At least menace could be replaced with gravity link.

Next question: why have Privateers not got gravity link?

Gravity link is a race defining skill for Progens, every Progen should have it. It's like negotiate for Terrans or Scan for Jenquai - the whole race features the race defining skill in all their professions.

It still leaves Privateers without a profession defining skill. If I could go back in time I would alter history - the original Earth & Beyond would feature Privateers and they would get shield charging instead of the traders. Alas, that is how the game originally evolved and traders pretty much own the shield charging skill now.

At least menace could be replaced with gravity link.

I think if EA had actually intended to put in all 9 classes, Shield Charging does make more sense on the PT than the TT, but since the TT had it in live, I don't think taking the skill and moving it will go over too well. I think PT does currently have 2 fewer skills than the other Progen which leaves room for 2 to be designed. Whether or not L5 Menace would ultimately be traded for L5 Gravity Link I don't know but it does make sense IMO. They also will need a L135 skill.

i think if anything we need to talk about some serious taking away from the PT... as it is now... PT is the most OP class in the game... if it werent for the fact that they are progen and not terran... I would have 3 of them all at L150 and make a guild called "The Three Privateers"

Only my 3 toons would be in it and we would go from raid boss to raid boss farming it and restricting other groups from having a chance at it... because we could...

oh and they do have a defining skill... its called OP :)

and if you also think about it... they dont need more skills... no class really does (except for the TS that needs Build Reactor)... cuz each class has at least 2-3 skills that are so useless that all they do is suck up bandwidth when we have to scroll past them...

Like Avani said, you really do not need to worry about any shortcomings on the privateer.

I'm not sure how to put it.

It is just much, much, much more valuable than any other class in a raid.

To bring a TW is a waste because it only does nominally more damage than a PP.

To bring a TT means you are missing out on the PP's firepower.

To bring a PW means you have are missing out on the PP's recharge shields...

etc. etc...

You could even take away menace and not add gravlink and it would change nothing :)

Ok, then try this;

What about hacking for TW's, yet TS gets it. Or psi shield which was uniquely for JD's, but now the JS also gets it.

I could understand if you said something like wormhole or rally being a profession defining skill, but menace...it's a bit too weak to bother with.

No it is not.

Negotiate and Scan are passives, gravity link is active. Not comparable.

Critical targeting is the passive race defining skill you seek for progen. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I only have a minor issue with privateers compared with the issues that scouts have.

Seekers don't get PSI shield.

I tie menace with sentinels due to their intimate knowledge and understanding of life and death. What is the connection between sentinels and privateers that allows them to share menace? That's the question.

Passives or actives it's irrelevant really.

Seekers don't get PSI shield.
I give you half a point because the skill was only recently switched :)
I tie menace with sentinels due to their intimate knowledge and understanding of life and death.
It's not hard to find convoluted storyline reasons to have things changed;

Remove jumpstart from all but the PS because that is about giving life.

Remove weapon slots from all professions but the PS because that is about dealing death...

Passives or actives it's irrelevant really.

Nope.

Anyone can see that critical targeting is to progens what scan is jenquai and negotiate to terrans.

There simply is no race-wide active skill.

What you see with the PW and PS having gravitylink is the same as the TW and TS having hacking.

So your argument does not hold well. :)

In the PT's faction description, it points out that they're recruited from the fringes of Sabine society. If so then they may have learned Menace, before getting whatever genetic changes they needed to go from being explorers to traders. In Live Collegia leader Theodoric Cassel usually had missions aimed at hurting Vinda in some way. There was one that involved getting Vinda's Gene-Map into Cassel's hand so she couldn't be called forward, when she dies. I don't know if the emulator devs have altered that aspect of the Progen storyline.

There is one race that has a race-wide activate skill, the Jenquai and the Cloaking skill. JE gets L7, JW & JT get L5. The recent change to the JT means that all Jenquai also get Fold Space, JW gets L7, JE & JT get L5.

Thanks Terrell, on behalf of those like me that don't remember all the storyline.

Accepting that privateers have menace has now become easier.

I feel privateers are still probably missing a couple of skills especially a skill that is uniquely their own. It's too easy to pick build weapons and build reactors and still have enough points before reaching 150 to set all the other available skills to maximum. Privateers need more diversity.

Adding gravity link still makes sense to me as one option.

Greetings

The reason why PT are unbalanced is that i introduced the PT according to the original design docs we had.

I gave the class all that EA intended them to have according to the so called Janus files.

But since the class never made it post design stage they surely never got tested and balanced by Westwood / EA.

So it's up to the current EMU Dev's to get them in shape.

Regards

Herak