ENB mentioned in new EVE Online documentary

Thanks to returning pilot Famicom earlier today in the Server Status thread, is the following link to:

EVE Online | Down the Rabbit Hole

The video was Posted 21 hours ago (on 1 Nov 2023), and already has 590,765 views! 598,741 views from the time I finished this post!

Duration: 5 hours, 55 minutes, 12 seconds.

One of the comments says this comprehensive documentary about the history of EVE took 2 years to create.

Earth and Beyond makes an appearance at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/BCSeISYcoyI?t=3694

I thought I would re-post Famicom's link here, as any discussion should be kept out of the Server Status thread as each comment there will ping the server admin and drive him nuts if a conversation takes off!

Edited by Winlander
Fixed main URL
  • Like 2

• Winlander changed the title to ENB mentioned in new EVE Online documentary

Pretty crazy how impactful the presence of ENB "refugees" was in the EVE space! To be honest, I hadn't thought of this game for literal decades until it was mentioned in this video, and watching some videos of people logging in, creating characters and exploring space with all the chonky UI noises as were customary at the time suffused me with such nostalgia that I went ahead and see if maybe someone reverse-engineered the server architecture leading to the existance of private servers ala Ragnarok Online and lo and behold here we are. Hopefully the login server gets reanimated soonish!

In the meantime, I think anyone playing this game will get a kick out of watching the documentary as well, especially since it's also kind of a love letter to space sim genre enthusiasts as well. It's running time is a few minutes short of six hours, so it should keep you occupied for a hot minute :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Apologies for possible necro-revival but catching up on fora and saw this.  When EnB folded the bulk of my guild went to EVE . . . I followed for a bit but just found the game deadly dull.  EnB was my first MMO and still really the only one I've liked (admittedly haven't tried that many).  I liked how it could be both a community game AND/OR a single player game.  I like how I have the option of pursuing combat (are you killing monsters again? my wife would ask as she'd walk by) or mining when I just want to veg out and pursue a bit of zen.  So, yeah, was there for the EnB->EVE influx but couldn't hang.  There was also a subsequent mass migration of a bunch of folks over to Star Wars (I think Galaxies?).  I'd never played turn-based games before and it also didn't tickle my fancy.  Kind of put all things MMO aside and just did first person or other stuff that was solo until EnB emulator (re)appeared.  Yay!

tl;dr - I thought EVE sucked.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2024 at 4:02 AM, garblesoup said:

tl;dr - I thought EVE sucked.  :)

Hehe I hear you... several of us ENBers in The Dragoons guild reformed as a corporation in Eve, with me as the CEO.  In the end, I found myself spending more and more time in our home station doing corp admin and inter-corp relations, while the rest of the guys were out in space actually doing stuff.. and creating more admin!

One reviewer of the game resonated with me.. "Eve .. a second job you have to pay for!"

Edited by Winlander
  • Upvote 1

I was one of the E&B refugees that moved to EVE after EA pulled the plug.  It was cool for a while, and I've played it on and off for quite a while since then, but the fact is that the whole game is a PVP playground that really grated on me when I was used to players helping each other in E&B.  I play games for fun, but EVE felt more like a job, so it was hard for me to keep playing for any sort of time.  It's a good game, but it's not for me, that's coming from someone with 249 million skill points and can fly almost every ship (I never trained capital ships as they can't be flown in 'safe' space).  It's a good game if you are into PVP and backstabby politics, but that's not me.

• Upvote 1

I went there all so after Sunset.  I hate PVP.

I was lucky enough to meet TOOBMS (?) and the whole team from Iceland up in Los Vegas.  Sadly it became too much PVP for me.

Most corps were 10-50 people at the time, so when CLS was made and quickly jumped to 300+, it kinda made a scene. 

I just love that the first merc group that was sent after us ended up teaching a lot how to pvp and later on many of them joined us. 

Our ability to camp forever and mine like crazy from EnB allowed us to develop the fey area. 

Was good fun til Goonswarm joined enmasse even more so than us and changed the way the game was played.