Malware on Server?

I've been getting these blackmail attempt e-mails (nice try morons!  I don't do that!) You know, the ones that threaten to post video of you supposedly yanking the crank unless you pay in BitCoin.  Well, the ONLY place I use the particular credentials mentioned in the e-mail is for EnB/Net-7.  So you folks might have a bug in the system, especially in the forums, since that seems to be a security hole anywhere.

Tell them to post the video on the forums. Funny thing I got 1 like that and I said the same. (I use a tower with no webcam) still waiting to see myself tossing off, might even show my wife.

there are a lot of blackmail-type e-mails circulating this very moment.

pointing towards the server here is a bit of a stretch though.

any malious code can fish password from your webbrowser these days, and post them in some bogus e-mail message. 

you might want to check your own system first.

internet through a VPN + get a decent malware/ addblocker / antivirus seems to be getting mandatory.

even if you never visit malicious websites. embedded adds are easily infected with malware aswell.

Allow me to allay some fears here:

Remember a couple years ago (if you're american) how Equifax totally screwed the pooch and lost most of our data, well this is the result, not the passwords mind you, you probably used it or some derivative of it that looks the same somewhere else. Notice it's almost always a partial match for the password or they only show you a few characters, that part is totally on purpose. These people are running a well known scam relying on psychological things that it's hard for people to resist. They claim they've got a video of you and so on. They aren't real. These people are just taking advantage of people who can't afford to be "outed" about whatever the shame is for professional or family reasons.

Don't worry, I keep Net-7 pretty much fully patched, and I'm always checking our firewall to regularly and looking at logs to see if I see any suspicious behavior.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:29 AM, Neuro said:

Well, the ONLY place I use the particular credentials mentioned in the e-mail is for EnB/Net-7

1.Your mail provider it self could have a leak / security issue.

Wouldnt be the first one...

2. Many spam bots are scripting/trying/guessing mail addresses these days

I can see this on my domain logs. Sometime they hit an existing address.

3. Net-7 database passwords are encrypted, even if you would break in, no cookie for you.

4. We have very effective security mechanisms, monitors etc.

Don't getting into detail but be warned: Don't even try...intrusion monitors would ban your IP immediatly!