Just getting started, with questions

Man, it's hard to belive it's been 5 years since I've even seen this game. I would check about once a year to see if anyone was donig anything with it and I was blown off my feet when I found a link to this site.

It's a little hard to piece together what's going on though. Is this emulator in a "beta" state? I saw where there were some character wipes with more planned. I don't mind that at all if we are just testing the game right now. Even if it's currently considered 'live' then I guess I can put up with it for the chance to return to some degree to one of my favorite games of all time. If it is in a testing phase, any idea on when it will go live?

I finally got into the game last night, but it was a little bit confusing. I had to sign up here with a user name and a forum name, then I had to go to another site and sign up with my forum name being my user name (took me a bit to figure that out till I saw a thread on it here). Also, is anyone working on an installer that will consolidate the 3(or 4 if you count the creater) diffrent install exe? I want to invite a bunch of people from some of my other games to give this a try but I'm afraid they might balk at some of the install and set up confusions.

Last, I'm playing a PW and I noticed right off the bat that there is almost nothing that tells you how to do what. I remember an awful lot from when I played but I had to go back and relearn a lot too. I remember that this game was built pre-WOW so the concept of handholding was not really in the game to start with, but again, I'm afraid it would turn off some of the folks I'm hoping to bring over. Though to be honest, the idea of discovering what's going on and where to go again is very refreshing. Something we have not had in a long while.

Mojo

Guest Builder

It's about 60%-65% done imo.

That's not to say it isn't playable, it is playable - and most skills work. However, the universe as it stands is more in favour to the players as the mobs only fire at default range of 3K. When mob ranges start to reflect their CL and the weapon and items they equip; and have a better AI then another 5-10% could be added.

Stress test is probably pre-beta in reality, and yes there will be loop-holes fixed; exploits patched and player wipes made. If you know where to look in your local hard drive (Win XP example given: \My Documents\Local Settings\...\WestWood\... you can find your in game avatar, so you can always save this / backup it should you like the way you or your ship looks. And copy it back for a quick start. You won't have levels etc as this is server side, but you won't have to go back through character generation to try and get your character looking right.

Weapons fire, ammunition used, you can analyze, dismantle, build, use skills on self, others, mobs, mine, do missions, group, so there is a lot in the emulated game for you to do, and more star systems in the game and support for the 3 classes not in live. But, there is still more to do, more fine tuning over intitial content. An emulator sends a message to the client and receives a message in response. Some of these messages still need to be understood. The client limits what can be done; and once it is fully understood, then it will be 100% done.

Play, but don't go mad and buy an account on ebay! Player resets / wipes will be present; if to fix exploits etc; currently don't think 'long term galactic empire' think 'short-medium fun'.

=============

[builder, Progen Privateer character of Byakhee, Work Computer]

Well, as I understood it from what info was released after sunset or during that time, three classes were taken out because EA wanted the game to ship seemingly without reguard to the state of the game. So things had to be adjusted for that management error. Basically, before the game shipped, planned classes were shelved never to be seen again in live[*], some sectors were never added which were supposed to be there assuming the game had the time to be designed fully. Basically why this is being done is to fully realize the potential of the game, at least in my opinion.

*= there was talk before sunset was announced of adding the other classes slowly, but never worked out.

Functionality and space might be 60% done (though I feel that's far too optimistic), but content including instructional missions are less than 10%.

if by instructional missions you mean training missions, those are almost completely finished.

Many storyline and fluff missions are absent however and not all missions work in the complicated ways that they should.

I think if we say 10% is done, mojo will expect 90% of it to be broken, when that's really not the case.

I'd say at least 40%. There are many more missions to make, and we always have room to make our missions more creative and exciting. Hopefully implementation of new mission completions and features will help us make better missions