What causes Bad opcode????

It is now happening every time I try to log in my character. It will eventually kick me back to Megan and sometimes I can log another character in but sometimes it crashes me to desktop when I try to log in any character.

Bad OpCodes. :(

Best bet is to make sure you've done recent maintenance, then try a restart of your PC if you still can't log in.

I, too, get this error, and quit frequently. First I was running XP sp3, game installed from original CD's (yeah, still got em), patched using the web update (takes forever) and tried that. I tried uninstalling net7, reinstalling, reinstalling the game, etc, still got them. I tried packet optimaization on /off, local cert, windowed vs full screen, smaller res, higher res, etc. This happens when gating, porting, or talking with a vendor. I know it's a bad op-code because I watch the net7proxy dos box on another monitor. So then I tried re-installing my OS, upgraded to Win7, re-installed with original CDs, d/l the patch before sunset and patched that way, net7. Still have bad op-code. I even tried switching out my router, that didn't fix it. What is very odd, is this primarily happens at night. I can play fine in the morning, which I have been doing, but as it gets later in the afternoon, the problems start. Usually from ~3pm PST - Midnight pst have a lot of problems with op-codes. After midnight, the op-codes stop. Ideas?

I, too, get this error, and quit frequently. First I was running XP sp3, game installed from original CD's (yeah, still got em), patched using the web update (takes forever) and tried that. I tried uninstalling net7, reinstalling, reinstalling the game, etc, still got them. I tried packet optimaization on /off, local cert, windowed vs full screen, smaller res, higher res, etc. This happens when gating, porting, or talking with a vendor. I know it's a bad op-code because I watch the net7proxy dos box on another monitor. So then I tried re-installing my OS, upgraded to Win7, re-installed with original CDs, d/l the patch before sunset and patched that way, net7. Still have bad op-code. I even tried switching out my router, that didn't fix it. What is very odd, is this primarily happens at night. I can play fine in the morning, which I have been doing, but as it gets later in the afternoon, the problems start. Usually from ~3pm PST - Midnight pst have a lot of problems with op-codes. After midnight, the op-codes stop. Ideas?

Get some ping times from AM to PM when u are having issues. Compair them. Same w/ TRACERT's

I highly doubt this is a bandwidth issue because i play a boat load of online / LAN simulated over internet games w/ Hatter and we have no issue. But its a thought.

The hard part is we play in the same timezone and i have no issues when Hatter does. Which points to his CLIENT, but yet the above testing points to the SERVER> Hard to say at this time but any and all pointers at this time would kick arse. Thanks.

Seems alot of people are getting this.

Im also getting random "you have been disconnecte from server" on my main machine while my laptop is still running the game fine on same ip.

Some people can't even logg in surten characters at all.

A friend of mine "Listo" Can't get onto he's pw. but can logg on he's TE.

Donno what is going on.

Last 24 hours i have been experianced a MAJOR problem,,,

Login into the server and on selection of avatar the program hangs and returns to the login screen. NOT working cause the DOS script usually closes and hangs the client, starting again and again and again and the same thing happens, seems when the avatar is in station is worse. Cannot odck in stations or undock , the client hangs and take at least 6-7 times befor i can manage to log in to crash again if i attempt to dock or jump a gate.

Attempting to show the login screenshot as to the fault

http://s690.photobuc...nt=EnBfault.jpg

Guest Tottepp

Something happened during the server downage on friday. Before that I did lvl 1-45 with maybe one or two CTDs in total.

After the server outage I crash to Megan or desktop about 1 in 6 gates/docks :( Most of the times the "Bad Opcode" comes up in the dosbox, but not always.

I know "old code" can get defunct when "new code" is put in so I ain't worried or surprised, but I hope Devs can fix it soonish :)

/Tottepp

I cant see your screen shots, but is it bad opcode throu proxy server? I get these but only when I am on my laptop wireless. Specifically when I am in my family room which is furthest from my access point. The signal is usually fluctuating from good to low and I can get to character selection fine, but it hangs forever and i get the bad opcode error in net7proxy window. I can ping sites fine and appear to have a stable internet connection, but upon avatar selection it is VERY sensitive. Also have seen this error when the stepdaughter was downloading large files on her computer, hogging our bandwidth locally.

I cant see your screen shots, but is it bad opcode throu proxy server? I get these but only when I am on my laptop wireless. Specifically when I am in my family room which is furthest from my access point. The signal is usually fluctuating from good to low and I can get to character selection fine, but it hangs forever and i get the bad opcode error in net7proxy window. I can ping sites fine and appear to have a stable internet connection, but upon avatar selection it is VERY sensitive. Also have seen this error when the stepdaughter was downloading large files on her computer, hogging our bandwidth locally.

It's not a local bandwidth issue.

From what I can tell, bad opcode is actually an incorrect error message and not really indicative of the problem. It's more likely a network timeout occurred while waiting for a server response (such as opening a vendor after docking, or looking at build lists) and the thread that handles the listening wasn't coded properly and returns bad opcode. I notice my bad opcodes almost always happens when my network gets knocked out for some reason. I run wireless so someone turning on the microwave can knock me offline and lose connectivity. The Net7 proxy however has very poor connectivity detection and won't notice this for quite some time. If you happen to be pulling up a large list of something (via vendor or manu term) when the network goes, then I get a bad opcode. If I'm warping tho and lose connectivity, I get no error message at all.

There may be more than one kind of bad opcode out there, so folks probably need to list what their specific situation was when it happened.

From what I can tell, bad opcode is actually an incorrect error message and not really indicative of the problem. It's more likely a network timeout occurred while waiting for a server response (such as opening a vendor after docking, or looking at build lists) and the thread that handles the listening wasn't coded properly and returns bad opcode. I notice my bad opcodes almost always happens when my network gets knocked out for some reason. I run wireless so someone turning on the microwave can knock me offline and lose connectivity. The Net7 proxy however has very poor connectivity detection and won't notice this for quite some time. If you happen to be pulling up a large list of something (via vendor or manu term) when the network goes, then I get a bad opcode. If I'm warping tho and lose connectivity, I get no error message at all.

There may be more than one kind of bad opcode out there, so folks probably need to list what their specific situation was when it happened.

yeah NetProxy doesn't actually detect loss of connection (well not for a while anyway), it waits for out of order opcodes to arrive and that's when it requests the missing packets to be (re)sent. When I wrote it I wasn't taking into account the whacky things people do to b0rk up their internet connection.

So how do we fix this? There is a 30 second interval ping/pong that Net7Proxy uses to ensure the server is still there (and by definition the internet too), and the server has a 5 minute timeout for each client which is uses to disconnect a client if it hasn't had any ping/pongs for that time.

Vendor lists usually contain broken up packets which is where the bad opcode comes from (usually) where the first opcode has been lost and we're seeing continuation packets (I think).

My current thinking is to re-look at the connection system, and why it only affects a handful of people - it seems most people negatively affected are on poor internet or dirty wireless zones (microwave etc). I think I just need to add more error detection/recovery to the bad opcode detection system and try a little harder to compensate for these problems.

For longer term internet loss, such as your network card issues, would it be better to disconnect you or simply accept a certain amount of packet loss?

If we lose connection during vendor lists, then I'm thinking a new type of error packet could be used - to re-request the entire split packet from the beginning again - eventually we'd be able to get it through.

yeah NetProxy doesn't actually detect loss of connection (well not for a while anyway), it waits for out of order opcodes to arrive and that's when it requests the missing packets to be (re)sent. When I wrote it I wasn't taking into account the whacky things people do to b0rk up their internet connection.

So how do we fix this? There is a 30 second interval ping/pong that Net7Proxy uses to ensure the server is still there (and by definition the internet too), and the server has a 5 minute timeout for each client which is uses to disconnect a client if it hasn't had any ping/pongs for that time.

Vendor lists usually contain broken up packets which is where the bad opcode comes from (usually) where the first opcode has been lost and we're seeing continuation packets (I think).

My current thinking is to re-look at the connection system, and why it only affects a handful of people - it seems most people negatively affected are on poor internet or dirty wireless zones (microwave etc). I think I just need to add more error detection/recovery to the bad opcode detection system and try a little harder to compensate for these problems.

For longer term internet loss, such as your network card issues, would it be better to disconnect you or simply accept a certain amount of packet loss?

If we lose connection during vendor lists, then I'm thinking a new type of error packet could be used - to re-request the entire split packet from the beginning again - eventually we'd be able to get it through.

Yeah... I agree :(

LOL...

Might want to have some of these guys, that are having the problem, download and run Wireshark. They could then send you the logs. Very nice tool for identifying when and where the network issue is occurring. That could assist in how to setup the code to avoid/prevent the issue from disconnecting them.

i'm having this problem right now. When I'm unable to login I'll see the net-7 screen after it kicks me out of enb and I'm seeing the bad opcode or whatever.

just started today. ever since this morning I've been having a very hard time logging in.

Even this website and the enbdatabase site take A LONG time to get into.

No problems with any other site.

I've tried reboots of router, cable-modem and pc.

Selecting different options when logging in (multi-custom).

Have not made any changes to my internet configuration. I played all yesterday with 0 problems.

Not sure what's going on.

Hey all,

Thought I'd let you know I to am having the same problem. In the mornings the connections seems pretty stable, but as the server fills up usually 250-300 I start getting bad opcodes.

I to tried everything, reinstalled OS, EnB, Net7, reset router, tested my isp's connection, you name it. Right now its something I just live with, but once the server fills up its like every time I

try to gate, talk to a vendor, or enter/leave a station I have to quit Net7 and EnB and relog in.

Dojoven

PS: I am in a rural area and use radio transmission for my internet, but I also play Lord of the Rings Online, don't have near the connection issues.