Spicing up builds

So I have a thought, quite simple really something to spice up builds, would it be at all possible to make a certain item that is race/class restricted buildable by the restricted race/class, say maybe once a week there would be such an item and the builders have to find it, once they've found it then they can map it and be always able to build it, preferably some high end item? And it can be updated on patch day and there would be a hint in the patch notes or maybe let the n7r know about it and they could drop hints either ingame or at the news desk.

Sounds like a lot of work for a dev to invent and balance a brand new item every week. Also, if any of these items is any better than "good", you're gonna see prices go nuts on building them, cause there wont be any way for new builders to get the print.

I don't think they can make an item that's only buildable, by only a specific class, as a drop. 

In order to do this, the item in question would have to be a mission reward, and who could take the mission would have to be restricted.  I've suggested this in the past, as a way to further differentiate the Trade classes.    Some items that are print rewards that only the TT can build, some only the JT can build, and some only the PT can build.   I'd let the explorers & warriors in on it too, but the traders would go first, followed by the explorers, then the warriors. 

The problem is that it would have to be a new item, or else remove all the existing items of that type before removing the restrictions.  Otherwise, the toons that currently have the item will be able to build it, or sell/trade it to a player who could then build it.

That of course is not getting into game balance, because restrictions are usually on the items to keep the classes & races balanced.  If an item were made balanced and then restricted just for the sole reason of having a small period where the restrictions were lifted, I don't know.  That does seem like a lot of work, and more likely to be a special event thing if done rather than weekly or monthly.

• Upvote 1