So I am getting a new PC.

What I need to know is, if all of these components will work together correctly. I know how to put computers together pretty well, but with all of this new technology floating arround, I feel as though I am in the dark ages. I originally wanted a SLI machine with 8 gigs of DDR3 ram but couldn't find a board that suported DDR3 ram without having to switch to a ATI card and I know virtually nothing about crosshair. My budget is only $1.300.00 USD so this is what I was able to come up with. I allready have a 1 terabyte HD at 7200rpm with 32 meg cache and want to eventually get a raid controller and hook 4 of them up together.

The video card: getting two of these.

PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

The Motherboard:

ASUS M4N82 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI AMD Motherboard - Retail

The RAM:

My linkKingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2LLK4/8G - Retail

The Power Suply:

APEVIA ATX-AS600W-BL 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply - Retail

The Processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945WFGIBOX - Retail

If it turns out that none of these parts will work together, I guess I will have to go back to the drawing board. BUT from what I can tell they will work just fine, any comments and or suggestions would be greatlly appreciated. I know there are a lot of tech savvy indivduals out there that can help me solve my problem. See some conflicts? Point em out, have better recomendataions for parts? Tell me which ones. I will be placing the order from www.newegg.com in about 7 days.

what i dont see mentioned is the OS... you will need a 64 bit OS to use more than 3.5gb of ram

about the power supply, I am not sure if this still holds true with pcie vid cards (so maybe someone can confirm)... but I always look for the +12 line to be above 20 amps... and if you look at the specs for the vid card you selected it says 24 amps on the +12

I dont see a sound card... onboard sound is usually good... but if you have nice speakers a real sound card does make a diff

also on memory (and no one ever seems to listen to me here)... I am not sure what you use your computer for... but most people have a hard enough time using 2gb of physical ram no less 4 or 8 or 16... just something to keep in mind (I like Corsair memory as well... but that just a preference and who knows if it really makes a diff)

/edit oh... it will work together... but it may not do what you want...

what i dont see mentioned is the OS... you will need a 64 bit OS to use more than 3.5gb of ram

about the power supply, I am not sure if this still holds true with pcie vid cards (so maybe someone can confirm)... but I always look for the +12 line to be above 20 amps... and if you look at the specs for the vid card you selected it says 24 amps on the +12

I dont see a sound card... onboard sound is usually good... but if you have nice speakers a real sound card does make a diff

also on memory (and no one ever seems to listen to me here)... I am not sure what you use your computer for... but most people have a hard enough time using 2gb of physical ram no less 4 or 8 or 16... just something to keep in mind (I like Corsair memory as well... but that just a preference and who knows if it really makes a diff)

All I need to know is if these specific hardware components will work together properly.

I checked it out, everything looks like it will work together B).

Memory (minor issue):

The ddr2 800MHZ ram at 4-4-4-12 is still faster than most ddr3, so no need to worry there.

If you use 2 sticks (4G) instead of filling out all 4 banks you will have a little bit faster speeds for gaming.

I agree 100% with the last 2 posts post above me. 4gigs is more than enough and a downright waste of $100, put it into a better video card, you will be a million times happier.

even in my servers I don't really see them go above 4 gigs, though we have 16GB with 10GB of it as storage for a Database. And make sure you get a 64x system win 7 has the best memory handler of all the MS system right now.

********************************* THIS IS A HUGE ISSUES PLEASE READ **************************************

Now I really want you to rethink your Power supply, I strongly recommend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&cm_re=corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-004-_-Product

Always make sure the power supply is testing for 80+ ... this power supply that i use it in my shop, its one of the cleanest power (not much AC interference) i have seen and its at a very good price.

Thanks a lot for the information. I can always add more ram later, thanks for pointing that out. Below, you can see the changes I have made.

4 gig ram chip I have chosen:

Kingston ValueRAM

Power Supply you recomended:

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W

Video cards I plan to use SLI with.

PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB

Now I have few more questions, given that the total price for all three video cards together is $449.97, $149.99 each. AND I only have a budget of 1.3k USD, Should I instead purchase this card instead? Also, does the PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB card even support 3 way SLI?

Personally I'd go with a single card until you need more. That way you won't kick yourself quite as hard when the prices come down. From what I've been able to tell, video cards are nearly maxxed out at the moment and you're probably well above the point you'll see any difference between one and another. Better to future-proof it IMHO. It all depends on what you intend for an upgrading schedule.

Also have you considered a 965 rather than a 945? Price points aren't a lot different AFAIK and there is a newer 965 that's not quite as much a power-hog, and they're considered really good for AMD right now.

As for your power supply... if you're future-proofing it and even thinking of multiple SLIs later, you might want a beefier one, though a 550 is more than enough for a single card if you go that route.

Personally I'd go with a single card until you need more. That way you won't kick yourself quite as hard when the prices come down. From what I've been able to tell, video cards are nearly maxxed out at the moment and you're probably well above the point you'll see any difference between one and another. Better to future-proof it IMHO. It all depends on what you intend for an upgrading schedule.

Also have you considered a 965 rather than a 945? Price points aren't a lot different AFAIK and there is a newer 965 that's not quite as much a power-hog, and they're considered really good for AMD right now.

As for your power supply... if you're future-proofing it and even thinking of multiple SLIs later, you might want a beefier one, though a 550 is more than enough for a single card if you go that route.

Yeah thx, I was thinking about the future more so as its important. My current setup I have listed is pretty much dead when it comes to future upgrades. I found out that my current MB does not support 3 way SLI and neither does the video card, to get a 3 way SLI MB and video card as well as upgrade everything else to support it would put me way over my 1.3k budget. So I think I am going to stick with pretty much what I listed. BUT thx for the 965 recomendation, I added that reduced cost and is way cheaper in the power department.

SLI i way over rated!

2 video cards @ $150 + $100 extra for a sli mobo =! preformance of 1 video card at $400

And by the time you have the money you will want the new dx11 video cards so SLI your current video card will be out of the question.

This is totally up to you, i would never run SLI (again).

tough, it does looks totally sick with 2 video cards in a rig!

SLI i way over rated!

2 video cards @ $150 + $100 extra for a sli mobo =! preformance of 1 video card at $400

And by the time you have the money you will want the new dx11 video cards so SLI your current video card will be out of the question.

This is totally up to you, i would never run SLI (again).

tough, it does looks totally sick with 2 video cards in a rig!

I am also running 2x GTS 250s on that 550Watt power supply, and i am running about 480watts at full load from the wall. so thats about 380watts in the case so i still should have 170watts in the case to play with ^_^... though i don't think you should run 3 or 4way SLI on a 550 watt especially if your over clock.

1 x gts250 maxes out all my games except crysis, i can play on hihg/very high settings.

I am also running 2x GTS 250s on that 550Watt power supply, and i am running about 480watts at full load from the wall. so thats about 380watts in the case so i still should have 170watts in the case to play with ^_^... though i don't think you should run 3 or 4way SLI on a 550 watt especially if your over clock.

1 x gts250 maxes out all my games except crysis, i can play on hihg/very high settings.

Cool, I want to use crysis as a benchmark for preformance, hopefully I will be able to run it at full settings. I hear crysis is a very demanding game. Ultimately I want to be able to run SC2 and D3 at, or close to full settings. What do you guys think of using server ram, specifically this model Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ECC Registered Server Memory Model It seems as though on www.newegg.com its the only type of ram that comes in 4GB sticks.

Cool, I want to use crysis as a benchmark for preformance, hopefully I will be able to run it at full settings. I hear crysis is a very demanding game. Ultimately I want to be able to run SC2 and D3 at, or close to full settings. What do you guys think of using server ram, specifically this model Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ECC Registered Server Memory Model It seems as though on www.newegg.com its the only type of ram that comes in 4GB sticks.

You really don't need Ecc is slower than "normal ram" and i doubt you will ever see a BSOD from the kingston sticks you posted above.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/7241/

Well, I guess the only concerns I have left before I place my order are the ram and the power supply, do you think that 550w is enough? Also what do you think of this ram? G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6D-8GBMQ - Retail

Also if I decide to get a more powerfull power supply, what do you think of this one? XION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail

I really appreciate everyone's help. This computer I am going to use for atleast the next 5 years as so, its very important that I get the best bang for my buck.

I think you could get some more useful advise if you posted your current setup and also what you plan on doing (why your upgrading).

My video card died recently and I had to revert back to my older SLI setup - but since all they really apply to (for me lately) is playing E&B, they made absolutely no difference. I'm going to wait till I need to upgrade to buy newer tech.

PS - I agree on the RAM, I've yet to use all 4G of mine.

I think you could get some more useful advise if you posted your current setup and also what you plan on doing (why your upgrading).

My video card died recently and I had to revert back to my older SLI setup - but since all they really apply to (for me lately) is playing E&B, they made absolutely no difference. I'm going to wait till I need to upgrade to buy newer tech.

PS - I agree on the RAM, I've yet to use all 4G of mine.

Yeah 4GB of ram is great if you don't do much multi tasking. My current machine has 4GB DDR2 and I use that to the max. So, 8GB will be a good start in my new system eventually leading up to 16GB. I also plan to add anouther PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB so I can 3 way SLI. Previously I mentioned that the current MOBO I had listed doesn't support 3 way SLI, I was wrong. I also want to be be able to get 6 LG W2353V-PF 23 inch monitors for my new system as well, so I can run have a lot of stuff running at the same time in different windows all in view. Although this may sound a bit extreme, I have always wanted to build a super cool looking system thats cheap, and functional at the same time.

My main gaming machine currently contains:

Intel Pentium E5200 Dual-core CPU 2.50ghz x2.

ASUSTeK MOBO Model number P5KPL-CM.

4GB DDR Dual Channel RAM.

Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

I plan to use this new machine for excessive gaming and extreme multi-tasking, IE multi-boxing several different games including AION, WoW and ENB. BUT the main thing I am concerned about at this time is being able to run Starcraft II and Diablo III at FULL setttings, or close to full settings. Thats the main reason I am upgrading, the release of those games is not far away and I want to have a computer thats able to run them when they come out.

Yeah 4GB of ram is great if you don't do much multi tasking

I've run LOTRO, WoW, Photoshop, multiple Firefox windows, w/e my (multiple protocol) IM was at the time, text editors, iTunes, and Windows crap on 2 GB on my old machine. Simultaneously. Cleanly. WTF are you expecting to do? LOL

the 850W power supply and the 550Watt i showed you will be very similar in output power.

Watt is a measurement that has little or no backing behind it.

The 850 is peak power (meaning from the wall) they said peak efficiency is 75%! so your looking at about 65% (even seen 40% on some) when actually under a heavy load. 850watt x .65 = 552.5 watts, because of this video cards say on the box at lest a 700watt power supply when actually a 550watt Power supply will run just fine, as long as you know what your looking at. As i said before ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYS get 80+ crt unless you want the power supply to toast components.

Antec and Corsair always use running efficiency not peak power. the peak power on the 550watt would be...

9amps @110 = 990Watts off the wall at 80% minimum

792watts peak, so both power supplys will preform very similar but i know under a load the DC current on the Corsair is pretty damn flat, the antec's are a little wavy. the AC interference is what will cause the mobo to fail in a year or 2.

turning AC to DC isnt as easy as it sounds.

Stick with corsair or antec or something thats 80+ crt please

this same logic applys to audio I can put money on the fact my (150watt RMS x2 @ 8ohms) tube amp will leave your 1,000watt 1ohm car amp in the dust in loudness and clarity.

Sorry :( i am very picky about power supply sense thats the only thing protecting you from buying a whole new system.

MAKE SURE ITS 80+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also seen a 12volt rail put out 16volts after a year, your mobo needs to get rid of the extra voltage witch causes heat and causes it to fail. my corsair after 2 years of useage is still with in .1v on all rails! thats AMAZING sense most computer that come in from dell and HP are +/- .5v

^_^ sorry for my little rant.

-All me measurements are taken from a oscilloscope.

I've run LOTRO, WoW, Photoshop, multiple Firefox windows, w/e my (multiple protocol) IM was at the time, text editors, iTunes, and Windows crap on 2 GB on my old machine. Simultaneously. Cleanly. WTF are you expecting to do? LOL

I multi task like crazy (computer programmer and graphic designer) I think i have had the whole CS 4 suite open! and i don't think its ever cached the hard drive.

I have 4 gigs ddr2 running windows 7 64x ult

always have cute FTP, team speak, micro torrent, and about 50 chrome windows open.

Only reason i see a need for over 4GB of ram is if your planning on running VMs or have viruses

do 2x2GB and later if you need more (year or 2) get another 2x2GB and you will be set

if you really want to focus on SC2 and Diablo III you should look at ATI cards its likely they will favor them just like WOW, Warcraft 3 has in the past. I doubt you will be unhappy with anything you buy Blizzard makes amazing engines, its likely 1x GTS250 will max it out.

I need to stop posting

THX for everyones informational post, you guys have helped me pick out a awesome computer. I will post pics up when I get it home and put together.

I highly recommend you post your current build over on tomshardware and see what they also have to say. Most of them like me have made well over 100+ systems.

Good luck I look forward to seeing it!

I highly recommend you post your current build over on tomshardware and see what they also have to say. Most of them like me have made well over 100+ systems.

Good luck I look forward to seeing it!

This is what I eventually decided on:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case x1

G.SKILL 2GB DDR3 ram x2

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard x1

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor x1

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP x2

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7210.12 32meg cache x2

SeaSonic S12D 850 Silver 850W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power x1

LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail x1

Should be here in a week or so.

I was going to make a comment about SLI, but thought you had already bought it, and didn't want to look like an ass.

Great choice on the 5870, that card will destroy anything you throw at it. I've had a tri-sli board for 2 years, and it still has a lonely 8800 in it that runs everything "great" (not crysis on max, disliked crysis anyways). Big waste of money to get this tri-sli board, with the exception that it overclocks like a champ. (Q6600 running at 3.8ghz for 2 years now based on stock of 2.4ghz on air).

I would never go with a SLI/crossfire setup unless I had a 30" monitor where you legitimately need the memory for the 2560 res, or if I was gifted a second card. It fails from a future proofing standpoint as 2 years down the road, you can find a single card solution for not much more money that will perform sli'ed 2 year old cards.

We're fortnate at this point that hardware is miles ahead of software, so the need to spend 3k on a system with a 1k video card is gone.

• Upvote 1

I was going to make a comment about SLI, but thought you had already bought it, and didn't want to look like an ass.

Great choice on the 5870, that card will destroy anything you throw at it. I've had a tri-sli board for 2 years, and it still has a lonely 8800 in it that runs everything "great" (not crysis on max, disliked crysis anyways). Big waste of money to get this tri-sli board, with the exception that it overclocks like a champ. (Q6600 running at 3.8ghz for 2 years now based on stock of 2.4ghz on air).

I would never go with a SLI/crossfire setup unless I had a 30" monitor where you legitimately need the memory for the 2560 res, or if I was gifted a second card. It fails from a future proofing standpoint as 2 years down the road, you can find a single card solution for not much more money that will perform sli'ed 2 year old cards.

We're fortnate at this point that hardware is miles ahead of software, so the need to spend 3k on a system with a 1k video card is gone.

Awesome post floss, wish i said it :(

I am also glad you went with ATI! I will be sure to see you on SC2.

And floss i did SLI 2 times once with a 7800gt, and once agian with gts250. i will never do that again EVER!

- I only only have nvidia because i want physXs and i really like the 3d vision ;)