Hi, i was just wondering if any of the devs know about the server crashes and the bugs that come with it. There are a few of them and i'm sure the GM ticket center is being flooded with tickets about lost items and bugs that are affecting every player.

Tonight i've noticed that i get a lost connection to server error randomly and often. I also know of people having problems with duplicate bug again, and losing items. Also after i get lost connection to server i relog into my character and items are not seen and every item is null.

I know there is something going on and i was just wondering if us players could be told what is going on.

I will start playing again when things are running more smoothly, i'm afraid to do anything because i will probably get lost connection to server in a critical moment.

[quote name='Darkdronen' timestamp='1326863209' post='51728']
Hi, i was just wondering if any of the devs know about the server crashes and the bugs that come with it.
[/quote]it's uh um pre-alpha :P We are basically testers and of things not even published yet. Polished is probably 3-5 years away. You gunna wait that long?
Heck, some games never get rid of bugs, the devs dance around the issues and expand the game to resemble other games (like resemble the SIMS for instance *cough*) and horribly neglect things like faction wars (with once actual pvp) and hold conferences where they have round table discussions that they don't even show up for! Other games... hehe
My guess they know. I could be wrong though :)

the duped/lost items issue should be fixed now. I know it was there for about a day, and the odd one or two people lost items due to it, but yeah that was fixed yesterday. It must have been pretty difficult to lose an item to that issue though, I tried for a while to get a lost item - couldn't repro that so I just fixed the actual bug instead :) I think only a couple of people were affected, but I guess because everyone now knows someone who had it happen to them it seems worse than it is.

We have plans for switching over to a much more robust item tracking system, with which it will be pretty much impossible to lose items. This will be happening, but it can't happen until at the earliest we go to alpha, as it will require certain things to be done.

The current item handling system is very much 'my first database'. We didn't have the knowledge we have now about usage etc. What was needed at the time was an improvement over the flat file system, which the SQL system was a huge improvement. With the old flat file system we lost info all the time.

The next iteration will be a similar leap in reliability - items will be tracked as actual entities with addresses corresponding to character's hold/vault slots rather than simply recording what's in each slot and changing that.

Hey, Tienbau thank you for the informative response. This helps me understand and feel more comfortable about where this development is going. The other problem though that is pretty recent is the random lost connection to server error that sends me back to login, I login into my character and every item that i have is null. It only shows the number of the said items and no picture of it. I look at my ship and every item appears to be missing. A quick relog fixes this, but still. I'm afraid to go outside or do anything because i may get this lost connection error.