Alternative package service.

I had a thought last night, (sorry if this has been suggested before I didn't find it) to make certain things easier for those of us using not so good computers. How about an NPC standing somewhere in the lobby or lounge of stations (not even all stations, maybe one per system, or one at each race's main locations).

This NPC, when you talk to them, asks you who you want something held for. You enter the character name you have something for. Then it opens a trade window allowing you to select up to 6 items or stacks to be held for that other toon. Then when you confirm it, the items whisk away to an NPC vault tagged for that character to retrieve.

Then when the toon the items are for logs in, the NPC can message them (I would suggest the message button like the push missions) that they have items waiting for them on X station. When they get to the NPC, they can retrieve the items from the NPC.

This would help relieve the ammo pain the TS and PS feel, as the builder toon for them can mule the ammo to them without having to lag up a PC by multi-boxing. I know when I multi-box my PC all but locks up for 5 minutes, and it takes me almost an hour to mule a decent supply (30-42 stacks) of ammo to my TS. In addition this could also be a credit sink to help improve the economy of the game. Have the NPC change a fee to hold the items, and/or a few to retrieve them. Edited by Riz

6 stacks of ammo isn't going to do much for most non-ammo building chars. My PW (non-ammo building by choice) routinely burns through dozens of stacks in an hours worth of combat. My TT typically builds/xfers to him in lots of 40+.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1304370477' post='40127']
6 stacks of ammo isn't going to do much for most non-ammo building chars. My PW (non-ammo building by choice) routinely burns through dozens of stacks in an hours worth of combat. My TT typically builds/xfers to him in lots of 40+.
[/quote]

The limit of six is only so they can use the existing trade window. I suggest there would not be a limit to how many times you can have the NPC hold stuff for another toon. Since they cannot recode the client, the trade window may not be changeable, so we may have to work with what is already there.

What I mean is Toon A can go to the NPC, tell them they have stuff for Toon B, trade 6 off, then do it again, and keep repeating until they have it all sent. Then when Toon B comes in they get the message, go to the station and NPC, and get it all.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1304390559' post='40146']
OK, now you've really just described expanded vault space - with apparently no limit.
[/quote]

Not quite. I am sure some type of system could be set up so that things didn't just sit there forever. That and the way I worded it, when you go to pick up at the NPC you don't get to pick and choose what you get, you get everything they have for you, all at once. If you don't have empty cargo space for it, it would go poof.

[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1304391632' post='40147']
Not quite. I am sure some type of system could be set up so that things didn't just sit there forever. That and the way I worded it, when you go to pick up at the NPC you don't get to pick and choose what you get, you get everything they have for you, all at once. If you don't have empty cargo space for it, it would go poof.
[/quote]

I don't see what would stop one from accepting the mass xfer, saving off the items one wants, then re-engaging the NPC to re-store the remainder. Heck my PW would begin to use this as his primary ammo vault as each time I'd come back I'd be out of ammo and have lots of space to accept it.

As to things going poof - I don't have any problem with it - but given the hue and cry in another thread clamoring to have the dev's craft a way to allow players to get back items they mistakenly sold to NPC's . . . I'd think the dev's would have enough foresight to see that this just sets them up for more complaints about "I lost my stuff!".

Jarod,

You've hit upon an important point. People used a system like this in FFXI to save hundreds of items beyond their space limits to great success. Chances are there'd be guild vaults before something like this. Does everyone just simply distrust everyone else to the point that they can't transfer your items? Did I miss something about guild camaraderie in recent years?

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304466052' post='40195']
Jarod,

You've hit upon an important point. People used a system like this in FFXI to save hundreds of items beyond their space limits to great success. Chances are there'd be guild vaults before something like this. Does everyone just simply distrust everyone else to the point that they can't transfer your items? Did I miss something about guild camaraderie in recent years?
[/quote]

I don't get it either, Kyp. Most of my chars "hang out" in F7 and if somebody posts in local chat they need help with a xfer I'm usually typing "I can help" but someone else usually beats me to the punch - and that's for non-guildies. I acknowledge that with (what I believe to be) a predominantly US player base right now there may be differences during "non-prime" (for US) time periods that might make it more difficult to get help with xfers - that's the only thing I could figure might be a factor.