Mac & PC discussion

[quote name='LPCA' timestamp='1299743960' post='36144']
while at it, not sure it has been done, but please add these too:

OpenDocument formats
[list][*].odt for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_processing"]word processing[/url] (text) documents[*].ods for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreadsheet"]spreadsheets[/url][*].odp for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation"]presentations[/url][*].odb for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database"]databases[/url][*].odg for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic"]graphics[/url][*].odf for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula"]formulae[/url], mathematical equations[/list]archives
[list][*].tar[*].tar.gz / .tgz / .gz[*].tar.bz2 / .tbz / .tb2 / .bz2[*].7z[*].rpm[*].deb[*].dmg[*].msi / .mso[/list]
[/quote]

Why would anyone want/need to upload an .rpm here?

[quote name='LPCA' timestamp='1299780540' post='36183']
an RPM (red hat package), DEB (debian package), DMG (mac os package) or MSI/MSO (windows package), would be be useful the same way a EXE is - to install software of course.
[/quote]

For a Windows game?

[quote name='LPCA' timestamp='1299806614' post='36230']
dude, i don't care, linux and mac has users too.
[/quote]
Negative. They are different and therefore do not exist.

I recall reading somewhere that Windows has 99.98% of the market share. Incidentally, trusted sources tell me the USA has been voted the #1 country in the world for 542 consecutive years and the Dow Jones Industrial Avg. hit 400,000 today...

[i](Happy Thoughts)[/i]
  • Upvote 1

[/quote]

MAC users... Shouldnt that read Mac fanboi's who most the user base have no clue their OS is just a derivative of FreeBSD which in turn lies UNIX foundation (where LINUX roots stem from as well). Gah sorry just can't stand MAC. I applaud the attempts from them, creates some necessary competition sure and brings some good ideas mainly I reference the the MBA (MacBookAir)as MacBooks/MacBook Pros just bring style and old tech hardware (not latest and greatest for its premium price point they charge, to the table. Great product (hate the OS) an no I will not buy underpowered/overpriced MAC Re-Labeled hardware when can be generally obtained for a fraction of the cost with better support.

Now contradicting myself on the cost statement... Samsung Series 9 laptop dubbed the MBA Killer is due to release soon, Svelte PC just hair smaller than a MBA and way sexier lookin, plus much better hardware specs, unfortunately since its to be the first of its kind it bears the costs comparative to the original MBA (not the new iteration that has a slightly reduced price) again competition in effect here. I still will place my coin on this new Samsung as I am eagerly awaiting its release sometime this month or right at the beginning of next month. Could get the Korean version direct from Samsung right now but then the keyboard would have English and Korean on it (thats no fun) as well as the power plug differences that I would need.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1299823455' post='36246']
Negative. They are different and therefore do not exist.

I recall reading somewhere that Windows has 99.98% of the market share. Incidentally, trusted sources tell me the USA has been voted the #1 country in the world for 542 consecutive years and the Dow Jones Industrial Avg. hit 400,000 today...

[i](Happy Thoughts)[/i]
[/quote]

Windows has been very slowly losing its market share to both OSX and LINUX (mainly Ubuntu flavor) but they still hold lil more than 90% these days, I think a lot of their loss in market penetration was due to that horrible thing referred to as Windows ME err I mean Vista ya Vista the new ME, both OS's that MS wishes to push under the rug and forget about.

I use various Linux flavors in VMWare Servers for other things not related to my primary Win OS Servers/Workstations but as a hole, Windows is were its at in terms of usage base be it Personal/Business usage, and a clear indicator is the fact that most software developers who look to make money wisely code for were they will get the most penetration simple factors. Millions from MS Users or Hundreds from the combines of OSX/LINUX... Gee I wonder, again that's not to discredit either OS's offerings they all have a purpose, and I speak solely from my standpoint where MAC's get no play in my personal/workplaces. LINUX on the other hand makes for some great low resource intensive underlying easily modifiable OS to do whatever you are capable of coding to to :) And its free! But it's certainly not for the inexperienced IMO, its a Power Users OS as I say, and then OSX is for those who just need basics that work and not require any intuition into computers.

[quote name='RojoMuerte' timestamp='1299824343' post='36249']
MAC users... Shouldnt that read Mac fanboi's who most the user base have no clue their OS is just a derivative of FreeBSD which in turn lies UNIX foundation (where LINUX roots stem from as well). Gah sorry just can't stand MAC. I applaud the attempts from them, creates some necessary competition sure and brings some good ideas mainly I reference the the MBA (MacBookAir)as MacBooks/MacBook Pros just bring style and old tech hardware (not latest and greatest for its premium price point they charge, to the table. Great product (hate the OS) an no I will not buy underpowered/overpriced MAC Re-Labeled hardware when can be generally obtained for a fraction of the cost with better support.

Now contradicting myself on the cost statement... Samsung Series 9 laptop dubbed the MBA Killer is due to release soon, Svelte PC just hair smaller than a MBA and way sexier lookin, plus much better hardware specs, unfortunately since its to be the first of its kind it bears the costs comparative to the original MBA (not the new iteration that has a slightly reduced price) again competition in effect here. I still will place my coin on this new Samsung as I am eagerly awaiting its release sometime this month or right at the beginning of next month. Could get the Korean version direct from Samsung right now but then the keyboard would have English and Korean on it (thats no fun) as well as the power plug differences that I would need.
[/quote]
I have to agree. Apple annoys the blah out of me. Their hardware is so unreasonably priced in comparison to equivalent, and often much better, PCs. Furthermore, Apple is perhaps the worst perpetrator of the "we own your device and everything you do with it or attach to it" attitude in the consumer computer market. Case-in-point: literally all aspects of their mobile device development to date. Don't get me wrong - they consistently push the industry to do better with their hardware designs (they're all beautiful and sturdy) - but what merit they get for their designs, they lose and more with their over-possessive, often feature-lacking mobile firmware and media market and the exorbitant prices they like to charge for such crap as low to mid-range components like GPUs. I'm ashamed to say I have every iPhone generation that has come out so far, in addition to an iPad, which makes me look like quite the f&nb0i, but I've only done so because the rest of the market is so pathetically incompetent and completely lacking in innovation, it makes every one of Apple's products look like a material, mechanical, and technological marvel.

Wait. What's this thread about? Whoops... I have no idea how I got on that rant. Uh, neat-looking character sheet btw. :)

P.S. Linux is very good for resource-intensive purposes, but lacks in usability and support for your everyday functions.

[/quote]

Again, for THIS game? It's a Windows game. Whatever. Cdel, please add support for the ".vmarc" extension so that I can install this game on my z/VM system. The fact that, just like for OSX and Linux, there isn't any z/VM variant of this game for me to install shouldn't matter at all, right? I'm sure you have nothing better to do than respond to silly requests to do things that have no value whatsoever.

:)

yes that's true, OS X has it's roots on the BSD.
Linux and BSD history is a very long and complicated one.
there's a lot of working kernels, and some in development, mixing environments (check gentoo distro).
with Hurd kernel, if it ever gets finished, it will get more complicated.

if in desktops Windows still wins, the same does not happen in servers. it's the opposite.
there is no windows server capable of rivaling in _anything_ with a linux server, not even anymore with Directory services (Samba 4 can act as Domain Controller for ActiveDirectory - don't like AD? there's alternatives, and better IMO).
it's just the nature of the operating system and the software developed by the world community, and backed up my major corporations (IBM, Novel, Oracle/Sun, Cisco,etc), the professionals in the field, etc, and the customers get the point.

about Macs - i don't like Macs and Apple, but that's just me

in that past i've done price comparisons between a Mac rated 1800€ and a system made with parts to resemble the functionality of the Mac - the difference i found was 200€, with OS on both included (win+osx).
i'm pretty sure 1/2 or 1/4 of that difference matters for extra quality and functionality, like multi-touch screen, but it's too high, and CLOSED. you can't modify any or much of it.

since i like to assemble and customize my systems, from hardware to software, Mac isn't meant for me.

---
Adobe Photoshop Document (PSD)
Tagged Image File Format (TIFF/TIF)
Encapsulated PostScript (EPS)
Experimental Computing Facility (used by Gimp) (XCF)
---
DjVu (alternative to PDF) (DJVU/DVJ)
Adobe Portable Document (PDF)
Microsoft XML Paper Specification (XPS)
---
[code]
<attachtype>
<atype_extension>psd</atype_extension>
<atype_mimetype>unknown/unknown</atype_mimetype>
<atype_post>1</atype_post>
<atype_photo>0</atype_photo>
<atype_img></atype_img>