Temp buff timers

Strayslayer

What do the powers that be think about possibly implementing buff timers so the players can see when buffs are going to be dropped? On the same note, would it be too difficult to code in the ability to see who we have buffs on so we can make sure to rotate buffs accordingly? It would add a new possible role to heavy device users in a raid to make sure that their groups are properly buffed.

The devs will likely say all interface changes would modify the client - calling for the EA God's vengeance...

TBH it would be silly not have timers on buff durations and knowing what buffs are running on your group members. Mainly because it's a norm these days. Also a helluva lot more interface changes would be nice.

Other games like HoN even have a forum section for user submitted interface mods...why can't we?

Maybe if the devs don't want to touch modding the client, there could be an unaffiliated mod group that takes care of downloadable interface mods.

I would love to mod the client interface, but the problem is that we're literally unable to. I'd be willing to tempt the wrath of the devil, EA, but we don't have the source code that was used to create the client, which we would need in order to make any changes to the UI. We might be able to do this via a slash command, but it would be hard to make it not clunky and hard to use, as we can only output text.

Also, there might have been something to indicate the times remaining on buffs back in the day that we don't know how to use yet. I can't quite remember anymore. I know the buff icons would flash and then disappear, but I think we have that working already.

I know the buff icons would flash and then disappear, but I think we have that working already.

As far as my mind recalls this is the way it is working currently in the game. And as far as I know it's working fine for all the buffs that are set for their correct times.

they started flashing slowly

then they started flashing really fast

then they went off.

id say, put them flashing slowly when the timer reaches 80% plus equal or less than 30sec

and then flashing fast when the timer reaches 90% plus equal or less than 10sec

if ( ( timer <= timer *  '0.2' ) || ( timer <= '30' ) {
  buff_icon_slow_flash; /* slow flashing buff icons */
} else if ( timer <= timer * '0.1' || ( timer <= '10' ) {
  buff_icon_fast_flash; /* fast flashing buff icons */
} else if ( timer <= '0' ) {
  buff_icon_disable; /* disable icon & buff, covers negative values too */
} else {
  buff_icon_regular; /* regular icon behavior */
}

i don't do C/C++ atm, but the languages don't differ much. just adapt to your code & functions & variables.

both rules for each mode should include all possibilities. i remember that in live the values were these or very similar.

Edited by LPCA

I would love to mod the client interface, but the problem is that we're literally unable to. I'd be willing to tempt the wrath of the devil, EA, but we don't have the source code that was used to create the client, which we would need in order to make any changes to the UI. We might be able to do this via a slash command, but it would be hard to make it not clunky and hard to use, as we can only output text.

Also, there might have been something to indicate the times remaining on buffs back in the day that we don't know how to use yet. I can't quite remember anymore. I know the buff icons would flash and then disappear, but I think we have that working already.

If we don't have source code for it what about an add-on program? For instance EQ2 has Advanced Combat Tracker which can be configured to show buffs, timers, rotations and notify you when they're about to run out. All that would need it an output from the client to a log file and the add-on would read it as written.

If we don't have source code for it what about an add-on program? For instance EQ2 has Advanced Combat Tracker which can be configured to show buffs, timers, rotations and notify you when they're about to run out. All that would need it an output from the client to a log file and the add-on would read it as written.

That is possible, but it would be tough to implement and probably not worth it at the moment - we don't have enough man-hours to develop something like this. If enough people express interest in it though, I could possibly take it on as a side project after the semester is over at the beginning of May.

I was looking into this yesterday, if you can make an adjustment to the game so it creates a log file somewhere of damage being dealt, buff start up with duration and that kind of thing; I may be able to talk one of the guys who actually works on advanced combat tracker to create an add-on that would make it compatible with E&B. Less work for ya'lls already overloaded plates.

That would also answer Maniac's question in the next thread.

Edited by Strayslayer