Portal Discussions inc DBv2 (Merged)

Old: Out of date info

New: New info that the devs dont want to release.

Right, fast forward in time.

New interface is getting data from the live database.

Excluding a few items that the developers understandably want obscured for content reasons will the majority of items that are drop-only at least have a mob name specified in the new interface?

Excluding a few items that the developers understandably want obscured for content reasons will the majority of items that are drop-only at least have a mob name specified in the new interface?

They already do.

And as far as i know, this is how it is staying.

I see the buttons (Category, Level..) but using them doesn't do anything.

If i use IE8 everything works fine.

For example: I use Category Shields and in the last field i already see how many where found. If i use firefox i can change the category but nothing happens.

Ive been using Firefox 4.0 beta 7 and had no problems,

Ive also just installed Firefox 3.6.13 and this is working fine.

I would suggest you disable your extensions and re-enable them one by one to see which one is causing the problem.

The site uses PHP, AJAX/Javascript and SQL, no strange scripts or tracking.

Thanks

Ok found a bug with the database. Here is my example.

Type "Brimstone" in the search and it lists a bunch of Brimstone items.

Click on the "Brimstone Impact Rounds"

In the Components to Manufacture section, click on Brimstone Hades PSC-XP comp.

This opens up a new tab for that comp, click on the "Show" next to "Drops" and nothing happens.

However if you close these tabs and go back to the original search page and click on the same comp there, when you click "Show" it will open the list of the mobs that drop.

I am using IE8, haven't tested any other browsers to see if the same issue exists. Also, I noticed the drop section only lists the lvl 53 Ten-gu Slayer, however there is another mob that drops this same comp. I won't say which one if this is intended function, but it would seem to me for this to be a helpful tool, the drop section should either list all of the mobs that drop it, or maybe just some indicator that says "has been known to drop from other mobs" just so people don't think this is the only place I can get this thing.

edit: the bug happens on firefox also.

Edited by Grendwal

Couple small things that don't really affect its usage.

When you click the 'x' on one of the tabs, it removes the name from the tab, but the tab is still there.

If you have to scroll to the bottom of the tab, I would like to see the tabs themselves be frozen at the top of the page, so I don't have to scroll all the way back up to click on a different tab.

Many kudos on the new database, far above what we had before IMO.

The tab issue only seems to happen on IE8. Tried it in firefox and this issue does not happen.

Ok found a bug with the database. Here is my example.

Type "Brimstone" in the search and it lists a bunch of Brimstone items.

Click on the "Brimstone Impact Rounds"

In the Components to Manufacture section, click on Brimstone Hades PSC-XP comp.

This opens up a new tab for that comp, click on the "Show" next to "Drops" and nothing happens.

However if you close these tabs and go back to the original search page and click on the same comp there, when you click "Show" it will open the list of the mobs that drop.

I am using IE8, haven't tested any other browsers to see if the same issue exists. Also, I noticed the drop section only lists the lvl 53 Ten-gu Slayer, however there is another mob that drops this same comp. I won't say which one if this is intended function, but it would seem to me for this to be a helpful tool, the drop section should either list all of the mobs that drop it, or maybe just some indicator that says "has been known to drop from other mobs" just so people don't think this is the only place I can get this thing.

edit: the bug happens on firefox also.

Ok, i know why, just working on correecting this now

Slayer

Some of the builders are not showing for the items. Specifically looked at brimstone ballista and some of its comps. Checked a few others at random and comps in general seem to not show builders.

I'll keep poking around and see what else I can discover.

Also, those that want mob and location should realize that one of the best aspects to this game (and its economy) was for knowledge of such things to be scarce. As a byproduct of this, it makes it so much more rewarding on many levels to discover things and maximize it to your advantage. Right now, especially on the low level things, the game is mostly functional. So, why put in official listings of mobs and drop location? Isn't it a better test to make sure the game dynamics and functions are working properly? I'd say so.

Slayer

Also, those that want mob and location should realize that one of the best aspects to this game (and its economy) was for knowledge of such things to be scarce. As a byproduct of this, it makes it so much more rewarding on many levels to discover things and maximize it to your advantage. Right now, especially on the low level things, the game is mostly functional. So, why put in official listings of mobs and drop location? Isn't it a better test to make sure the game dynamics and functions are working properly? I'd say so.

I think Slayer mentioned it once before, in live, EA/Westwood didn't provide anything like this, it was all end-user created stuff. Kind of like a cheat guide, so basically I agree with what you are saying about official listings. Since this DB is directly tied to the DB in-game, I think it should go one way or the other. Either show all mobs that drop the items, or show none at all.

Database might as well say what mob drops an item.

Information can become obscured to the point that 3rd party web sites will begin to catalog all the drop information. That job is made easier using the older database as a starting point to begin a catalog. Assuming a 3rd party would catalog the information if it was obscured on the Net 7 database then the Net7 database might as well short cut the whole process and be friendly for everyone to use as a catalog instead.

Having mob drop information cataloged in the Net 7 database also nips in the bud hundreds of players inanely asking in chat channels over and over and over "where does this item drop?". Or posting asking the same thing.

It will get very old very fast.

And another thing to consider, having the mob named in the Net 7 database and using the live database it is possible to check that a mob does in fact still drop an item. There have been issues before with items getting removed by content developers either by accident or maliciously. Players would have no way to know loot tables are broken otherwise.

It would prevent players wasting time trying to obtain drops from broken loot tables.

Well,

Which mob drops the item has been removed from the Item info page... This is 100% true and acurate.

There are also other searches that can be performed on the database!

Do you know the name of the mob?

</transmission>

Well,

Which mob drops the item has been removed from the Item info page... This is 100% true and acurate.

There are also other searches that can be performed on the database!

Do you know the name of the mob?

</transmission>

I'm not sure if this is a bug, did a mob search on lvl 50 Wandering Pirate and the DB lists them as having no loot, however there are several items that this mob drops.

Interesting thing, do a search for brimstone impact ammo and there are two mobs listed in the drop section, but then do a mob search for either of those two and neither of them will show up.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, did a mob search on lvl 50 Wandering Pirate and the DB lists them as having no loot, however there are several items that this mob drops.

Interesting thing, do a search for brimstone impact ammo and there are two mobs listed in the drop section, but then do a mob search for either of those two and neither of them will show up.

Net 7 portal database still uses the old database that's a year out of date.

Wandering Pirates probably got a default loot table that won't show in the database or got a loot table added after the database became out of date. The two mobs for the Brimstone ammo aren't in game yet.

Wouldn't mind a 100% true and accurate of when the switchover to the live database will actually happen. We've all been patiently waiting while hearing it will be "the end of this month" only then it doesn't happen.

Ah, well you see, heres the thing.

Those mobs have the item in there loot table, how ever, there are no spawns for the mobs, thats why.

Ive put a fix in, so unless there is a spawn of the mob, it wont show the mob that carries it ;)

Got a bug here Slayer.

Do an item search for Hellfire Ballista and show results.

Click on the Hellfire Ballista in the results page to pull up the item info.

Got no page, but got a white bold text error in the tab area "Unknown column 'mob_base.hidden' in 'where clause'

Ah, well you see, heres the thing.

Those mobs have the item in there loot table, how ever, there are no spawns for the mobs, thats why.

Ive put a fix in, so unless there is a spawn of the mob, it wont show the mob that carries it ;)

So what about the wandering pirate showing drops no loot?

Got a bug here Slayer.

Do an item search for Hellfire Ballista and show results.

Click on the Hellfire Ballista in the results page to pull up the item info.

Got no page, but got a white bold text error in the tab area "Unknown column 'mob_base.hidden' in 'where clause'

Check that again...

I may have fixed that as i was making a change probably as you were looking

Check that again...

I may have fixed that as i was making a change probably as you were looking

Just checked it at 1134am EST and same error message. Seems to occur for items that shouldn't be in game (i.e., no mobs yet) as well as items that are in game.

I tried, Hellfire Ballista, Dung Cannon, Eye of Zethren-Ti, Devastating Gaze, Excellent ML Type A, and all got the error.

So what about the wandering pirate showing drops no loot?

This below i beleive is the answer

Wandering Pirates probably got a default loot table that won't show in the database or got a loot table added after the database became out of date. The two mobs for the Brimstone ammo aren't in game yet.

I have manually checked the LIVE database, and the old dump, and none of them contain any drops in the actual database.

Brings me to the question of the default loot tables, how and where? LOL

Just checked it at 1134am EST and same error message. Seems to occur for items that shouldn't be in game (i.e., no mobs yet) as well as items that are in game.

I tried, Hellfire Ballista, Dung Cannon, Eye of Zethren-Ti, Devastating Gaze, Excellent ML Type A, and all got the error.

I cant replicate this error, can you please close your browser and reopen, maybe clear temp internet files.

As its all Ajax and jQuery, it may still be running a cached version

I cleared my temp internet files, deleted all browsing history, cookies, cache, etc and I get the same error. Repeatable in IE8, Opera and firefox.