now I can't log in at all

For a while,my extremly laggy desktop p;roblem was fixed by downloaded the latest video and sound drivers and by shutting off firewall. however, Now I normallycan't even log in unless I keep trying several times.

I get past the authentication page and even the charcter page;however, once I see the wall paper showing all the sectors, the computer hangs and eventually logs out. For some reason, it stops sending packets. I have tried compatibility mode, to no avail.

I am using win 7, 64 bit. I have a high end Alienware graphics card, although i didn't get the killer card. I ALWAYS run as administrator.

What's even more wierd is that if I try a few times, it sometimes does connect with little issues.

Also, I have noticed a great deal of packet losses as a result of the last few days. Don't know what changes you made to the client,but it has had a really negative effect.

I had a similar problem 2 patches ago. Also Win7 64bit overpowered pc...

Here's what worked for me.

First off, I have to "reset updates" every time I launch the client. If I don't do that when I type in my UN/PW the chick starts walking off the screen and the client crashes.

I also had to download and replace my client.exe file when experiencing a similar connection issue to yours. You may want to try that. I know the file is floating around here somewhere in the downloads section. I think I found it under support actually... I'll go look for it and edit/reply here with the link.

1. Make sure Aero is turned off (that got me at one point)

2. make sure "client.exe" is running in admin/compatibility mode

3. Check out this thread https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/3092-net7-fails-to-connect/ Ipost #6, the problem itself is not the same but following those steps it helped resolve my issues. Might be useful.

I hope that is helpful.

Sometimes restarting your computer or changing the "Local IP" you use will fix this. I find that if one character gets blackholed, you may be unable to connect using the same IP until you reboot.

Thank you all for great advice;however, as the computer idiot that I am, I need further guidance

How do you turn off aero? In fact, I don't even know what aero is.

As for resetting updates, How do I do this?

To redownload the client.exe,which one should I use? The url cited here or the net 7 client or what?

Please be specific

yep I coincidentally just switched off Aero on my Vista laptop a couple of days ago and it makes a huge difference to the speed of the thing.

To save the maximum amount of memory what I did was:

open a command prompt (all programs->accessories->command prompt).

Type 'msconfig' in the prompt.

Optional but cool: Click the boot tab, click 'advanced' options, highlight the 'number of processors' box and choose the maximum value there (usually 2 if you have a dual processor), then click 'OK'. This will make your system boot a lot more quickly :) This idea courtesy of Tekzilla.

Now to disable Aero: get back into msconfig (if you used the dual processor boot you need to restart the PC), and click the 'services' tag. scroll down to find 'Themes' and uncheck the tick box. Restart and although your menu looks less pretty it goes like the clappers.

If you want to be able to switch between aero and normal without a reboot just follow the instructions on this site:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2134805_windows-vista-look-like-xp.html

If you disable the themes altogether from msconfig (the first method) you save more memory and the system has a (well maintained) XP like responsiveness to it.

you dont have to run msconfig to turn off aero

on win7 just right click on the desktop and left click onpersonalize

all available themes will show up grouped by type... the first type is aero themes... it even says aero... just select a them from a lower group...

its been awhile since I had vista... but I dont remember having to goto msconfig to turn off aero there either... so I give ehow a F-ail on that one

here is how you do it on a per game basis

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/easily-disable-vistas-aero-before-running-an-application-such-as-a-video-game/

here is the vista way to do it

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/966/vista_enable_or_disable_aero_glass_transparency_effect/

Edited by Avani

you dont have to run msconfig to turn off aero

I didn't say you did, I put the best way to do it that I discovered, which frees up the most memory and gets the system the most responsive. Using msconfig you can also get the fast boot. That isn't e-how's method, as I said in my post.

The e-how link I posted is the more conventional method, which you just use the windows menu for.

re-read my post, and you'll see that you didn't actually read it the first time. Still I guess that's par for the course on forums.

TB.

I have an I7 quad core. Thus, How many processors do I have? How do I know how many processors I have?

Also, what is the disadvantage of shutting off themes?

4 cores, using msconfig you can have your PC booting nice and fast. Bear in mind the default is to use 1 core, although I suspect there'll be diminishing returns with more than 2 cores as you'll be harddisk speed bound.

Shutting off themes just means windows doesn't look quite as pretty, and if (for whatever reason) you want to switch back to the pretty aero theme (the funky 'bubbles' and the 'glass' edges of floating windows) you'll need to go back into msconfig, find 'themes', re-enable it and re-boot the PC. But, don't forget with your nice new quad-booting PC this shouldn't take too long now ;)

Switching off themes is a purely cosmetic thing, but if you're running a quad core I doubt you'll see any difference, esp if you got a nice fast graphics card to go with that processor. It only makes a difference on the laptops as they have less memory and most are dual or single processor.

Tienbau and others, thank you for your patient, sage advice. I did as you suggested, and I may have solved my problems on my desktop. Time will tell.

Still. I don't see why my laptop works so well on En B without making any modifications, although It uses Vista.