Got lag?

Lot

After the August update rolled out lag has become quite notable.

The lag feels odd though ... everything seems fine for a few moments and then it's as though the client has a mini-seizure for a second and then it returns to normal. Warping around and every few seconds you get rubber-banding when the seizure takes over. During combat when the seizure strikes weapons stop firing and skill activations go on hold until the seizure ends.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

:)

Yes, my pw can fire 8 rounds then the clocks disapear from the weapons, returns to normal, then it starts over again. 8 rounds everytime, you could set a clock by it. Also when in warp, trails appear in front of me like I already been there before.

Same here. Seem to get a constant 1 second lag every 5 seconds or so.

If it will help here are my basic system specs:

2.6 C2Duo

4mb ram (not sure on speed but I can find out)

Win7 64bit

GeForce 260 (512mb) x2 (in SLi)

Cable internet, last time I checked it it had 8meg download and around 5meg upload

system is used for gaming, and very little internet broswing (usually gaming sites, but wife uses it for Facebook and crap sometimes). Run Avast! twice a week to keep it 100% clean, and do regular defrags and such bi-monthly.

Folks, I too have experience GREAT lag on my Alientware Wondows 7 machine and little lag on my XPS notebook I think part of the problem is win 7. Both XP machines and even Vista are better with the game. However, I was able to solve most of the problems with my Win 7 machine. Here is what I did and suggest that you do:

1. Update your video drivers to the latest beta version of the video drivers. Don't go to Windows for the Update.. Go to the video driver manufacturer. Thus, if you have an nVidia card, go to nVidia's web site and get the latest Beta version.

2. Do the same with your sound drivers.

3. Do the same with your hard disc drivers.

4. Shut off any firewall, especially with your Norton or MCacfee

5. Shut off the antivirus while you are working.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Folks, I too have experience GREAT lag on my Alientware Wondows 7 machine and little lag on my XPS notebook I think part of the problem is win 7. Both XP machines and even Vista are better with the game. However, I was able to solve most of the problems with my Win 7 machine. Here is what I did and suggest that you do:

1. Update your video drivers to the latest beta version of the video drivers. Don't go to Windows for the Update.. Go to the video driver manufacturer. Thus, if you have an nVidia card, go to nVidia's web site and get the latest Beta version.

2. Do the same with your sound drivers.

3. Do the same with your hard disc drivers.

4. Shut off any firewall, especially with your Norton or MCacfee

5. Shut off the antivirus while you are working.

Hi Morte... I know you have had huge problems that no one has been able to figure out and with the money you spent/spend on your system and internet I feel for ya...

but seriously... please anyone who reads this... DO NOT... DO NOT... turn off your firewall or antivirus... EVER... and if you need to in order to work on your pc... then disconnect from the internet first... from my personal experience (your mileage may varyâ„¢) of professionally fixing computers the number one way that people get there machine screwed up is by turning off firewalls and antivirus...

trust me... enb runs on iphone and now droid and ipad (kindle and nook coming soonâ„¢) and if the only way you can get enb to run is by turning those things off... there is like a 99.9% chance the problem is you and not the game...

i see people lose all their files on a daily basis (cuz who backs up?) due to virus, maleware, etc, etc, etc... now I know that no one ever listens to this rant of mine... so formatting your dead pc is $200 plus any charges for attempting to recover your data, plus any parts/software (I wont reinstall your hacked copy of windows), shipping and handl:)g :)

but seriously... please anyone who reads this... DO NOT... DO NOT... turn off your firewall or antivirus... EVER... and if you need to in order to work on your pc... then disconnect from the internet first... from my personal experience (your mileage may varyâ„¢) of professionally fixing computers the number one way that people get there machine screwed up is by turning off firewalls and antivirus...

/signed

Most of the repairs my company does are from Virus, Spyware, Malware, etc.

On second thought, do disable them. Job security.:)B)

• Upvote 1

Yep Avani & co are 100% correct, DO NOT switch off the firewall, actually don't ever switch it off even for testing. If you have a firewall level such as with Zone Alarm and I'm sure most others, if there is a problem caused by it, reducing the protection level temporarily to 'medium' security will usually be enough to check if it is the firewall without leaving yourself open.

I'm certain this is a problem with some code that's been changed/added, and I'm working on the problem now.

Studying the server logs, this problem appears to be 'packet drop gone wild' occurring with certain connections. If you log on when these players aren't around the server acts normally. The net7proxy RUDP overhaul ought to fix this problem and at the same time make the game somewhat more playable for people with noisy/echoey connections.

I think the correlation to the August update *could* be coincidental, as nothing significant that ought to affect the server operation (that isn't happening all the time) changed. I've analysed the routines that changed significantly between the restarts looking for things like nested loops (prime lag creating nasties) and it all seems ok.

• Upvote 1

The Proxy mods are complete and appear to be working very well with a simulated noisy link with very high drop out and re-ordering. I have noticed a recent considerable slowdown at startup which needs to be looked at. Once that's been fixed I'll restart the server and between the two hopefully there will be some improvement.

• Upvote 1

OK there is a new Net7Proxy v1.96 out now which *should* make a difference to the server lag. The handling of out-of-order packets is now vastly improved and won't be able to generate anywhere near as much lag as did previously, at the same time it minimizes packet re-send requests and can often eliminate the need for these.

It's not mandatory at the moment, but once a few other fixes have gone through, I will restart the server at the weekend and v1.96 will be mandatory as there are some client packet echo reduction systems now in place. You can see client packet echoes where people say something and it appears more than once even though they only sent the message once.

I'm back to work on the other server bugs now, missions and skills.

If you have trouble patching to the new Net7Proxy here is the direct link:

http://patch.net-7.org/Net7/Files/bin/Net7Proxy.exe