Can't get past login screen at screen res over 800x600

I have been running the game fine in 800x600 for the last 3 months, but didn't realize how to get the higher screen resolution to stick after running enbconfig until today when someone mentioned it in game.

So I tried adjusting my game resolution today.

I am using Win 7 with a i7-920 running dual ATI 4870 in crossfire X

I ran enbconig as admin. Changed the resolution to 1920x1200. Ran the test. Clicked ok.

Loaded net 7 launcher as admin and got to login screen normally and it was displaying at the high res. Logged in and as soon as I hit enter after putting in the password the game closed to the desktop. Went back and did it for all the other available resoultions with the same result. Did a search on the forums which recommended running Net 7 launcher in Win XP SP2 compatability mode. Did that as well and the game still closes.

Set the resolution back to 800x600. Game runs no problem.

Any ideas on getting it to run properly at higher resolution?

few suggestions... try turning off windows aero mode and also make sure that your windows desktop is at least as large as the screen res you want to run enb in... and instead of full screen mode... try windowed mode...

If the game runs in 800x600 without winxpsp2 compat mode... then turn that off imo and just make sure you are running as admin... which it sounds like you are

Edited by Avani

You should always have EnB in compatibility mode if you're running Vista or 7. almost unfailingly, you will get graphics problems without it.

really? I have never had enb in compat mode ever and I run graphics set to max... I dont run vista... but I do run win7 64 bit and winxp sp3... I guess I could stick a fork in my vid card and try to make some vid problems :)

Hmm. I suppose it's probably more an issue with Vista than 7. It also might have to do with the graphics drivers one uses. From my experience at least, compatibility mode can't hurt though, so that's why I suggest everyone set it on newer operating systems.

Either that or maybe most of the people who come in here just have forks in their video cards... I should add that to the FAQ:

My grafix don't werk!

This is a common problem. Remove all silverware from your PC components and try launching EnB again.

Here is my problem, I am stumped with figuring out what is wrong...

I recently installed EnB on my Alternate Desktop computer, it has a piddly Radeon x1300/x1550 video card, AMD Athlon 64bit processor 3Gigs memory. I am running it as admin and compatibilty mode for XP SP3, on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate have tried changing the resolution to several different types, windowed, not windowed but when I run the game, it gets to the login screen and I type in my password, then about 99% of the time, it CTD's. The other 1% it will actually go in and allow me to play. I have tried turning off the second monitor and still does the same thing, unplugging the second monitor, same thing. I have tested other games to ensure they run, like SC2, WoW, CounterStrike, HL2, etc. they all run fine at any resolution. Any ideas? I don't mind playing on my laptop, but would rather play on the Desktop, a bit easier...

Thanks in Advance,

MrCool

ok let me make sure I understand what you are saying... you have a stand alone pc (amd athlon 64... guessing dual core am2 slot 2,5 ghz??? with 3 gb ram and win7 64 bit ultimate as the os) and you have 2 monitors connected to it using a radeon x1300/x1550 vid card (is that 256mb ram or 512?)? On this pc on the main screen you run Starcraft2, World of Warcraft and Half Life2 at any resolution (any I assume is 1440 x 900 or better?) and standard ingame vid settings or less (obviously its not max with that card)... but when you try to login to EnB on your primary monitor it will crash 99% of the time...

is all that correct? my apologies if I misread your post...

for what its worth with the info as I presently read it... I run enb on win7 64bit and do not use any compatiblity modes and I did not even check off run as administrator... it just runs... although I have the opposite problem of you... about 1% of the time when I type my password in at the login screen it will ctd... but I have more of a gaming system as well...

just off the top of my head... and this is kinda moot if you run wow the way you say... but uncheck the compatibility mode and admin and turn off windows aero if your card can even handle that and see if you get better luck logging in... also you may want to try and match your desktop resolution to the ingame resolution you want to use...

I'd like to mention something which might shed some light on this problem:

I installed everything and launched the game -- worked okay. Logged out and set resolution up to 1920x1200; game crashes immediately after logging in.

So I uninstalled and deleted everything, and reinstalled again; this time, I set the resolution up to 1920x1200 BEFORE launching the game (in both the Net7config and the EBConfig utilities) for the first time, also set filtering to aniso; it worked just fine!

However, the next time I launched the game, it crashed on logging in... but setting compatibility to Win XP SP 3 made it work, or it appears to.

I'm running Win 7 x64 on an i7 920, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 280, Auzentech Prelude sound card.

Note I have NOT reproduced this "works on first launch" phenomenon, and I'll report if the reliability under XPSP3 compat degrades over time.

Edited by Soltis

I'm suffering from the same issues, and strangely enough if I go back and set everything back down I STILL can't get past the login screens, I've done full system restarts, driver updates, nothing.

Curse my vanity for higher resolution.

As far as my system details:

Win 7 64-bit

Radeon 4870

8 Gb ram

Wolfdale 3.66mhz CPU

Dual monitor Setup

I don't think Aero or even my Deskscapes is the issue, because it was running while on 800x600, and it's not like somehow my computer is chocking on the performance demand. I think there's something that gets irrevocably altered when you touch the config file.

Has anyone figured out a simple edit in an .ini file instead?

I'm suffering from the same issues, and strangely enough if I go back and set everything back down I STILL can't get past the login screens, I've done full system restarts, driver updates, nothing.

Curse my vanity for higher resolution.

As far as my system details:

Win 7 64-bit

Radeon 4870

8 Gb ram

Wolfdale 3.66mhz CPU

Dual monitor Setup

I don't think Aero or even my Deskscapes is the issue, because it was running while on 800x600, and it's not like somehow my computer is chocking on the performance demand. I think there's something that gets irrevocably altered when you touch the config file.

Has anyone figured out a simple edit in an .ini file instead?

No inis to edit, just registry keys. Go into the main game directory where you've installed it. Find the Enb Configuration utility and run it as admin. On a system with UAC like yours, the system is protected from registry changes by the administrator account. (Admin account receives two tokens upon session creation one being that of a "standard user" and one being "full admin" but only uses "full admin" when specifically authorized by the user. This prevents changes to registry or system files without the user knowing of the change, and thus prevents a lot of viral activity out there.)

If you run it as admin, it will be able to update these registry keys. After this boot the game up, try to log in and it shouldn't crash out after login. Usually the problem here is that the configuration tool has set a poly budget on your machine based on the original resolution. Attempting to start it at the new resolution is very likely exceeding that old poly count ceiling and I suspect resulting in a crash.