Server Rollback..?

Some guild chat along these lines came up - with the preponderance of bugs, particularly with the mobs running away out of bounds and many key mobs not spawning, are we looking at an imminent rollback to several weeks ago (last stable server environment)?

While that would fix things from a playability perspective.... it would be a lot of levels for a lot of people to go poof. :mellow:

The only way we'd rollback to anything is if your player data became corrupted and beyond repair for some reason, or a catastrophic hardware failure, and at most it would be 24 hours. The database is backed up daily, so unless people were quiet about something happening that shouldn't be, then this is the most it should ever be back on the play/stress server, PTR and Dev are a different story, we wipe and set up users on those as needed. Something like what is affecting mobs is server side code and is not causing any sort of corruption. It is simply not working as it should. Nothing to worry about.

Some guild chat along these lines came up - with the preponderance of bugs, particularly with the mobs running away out of bounds and many key mobs not spawning, are we looking at an imminent rollback to several weeks ago (last stable server environment)?

While that would fix things from a playability perspective.... it would be a lot of levels for a lot of people to go poof. :mellow:

While "reverting" the code might be an option, a "rollback" of data wouldn't occur. Thusly, if we did go back to the state of the server a few weeks ago, all your account and character data would remain intact.

I would be against a rollback, because there is a problem and we need to fix it to progress. The problem does not occur on the ptr or dev servers.

I'm currently adding a whole bunch of diagnostics to the server so we should be able to work out what the problem is very quickly once they're up and running.

Many times in the past, forward progress has been made by new things going wrong slightly, then being fixed. If we were to pull every new thing which didn't work 100% correctly we'd still be at a very early stage in development.

We should have things working better than before during the coming week. I would have had everything fixed this week but I've been 'on holiday' all week herding nieces & nephews (how actual parents who have to do this 'for ever' cope without having nervous breakdowns I do not know... I salute you!). Anyway normal services will be resumed come monday so we should have everything hunky dory ASAP.

I would be against a rollback, because there is a problem and we need to fix it to progress. The problem does not occur on the ptr or dev servers.

I'm currently adding a whole bunch of diagnostics to the server so we should be able to work out what the problem is very quickly once they're up and running.

Many times in the past, forward progress has been made by new things going wrong slightly, then being fixed. If we were to pull every new thing which didn't work 100% correctly we'd still be at a very early stage in development.

We should have things working better than before during the coming week. I would have had everything fixed this week but I've been 'on holiday' all week herding nieces & nephews (how actual parents who have to do this 'for ever' cope without having nervous breakdowns I do not know... I salute you!). Anyway normal services will be resumed come monday so we should have everything hunky dory ASAP.

BAH!!!! Just wipe the thing and lets have some real fun!