Profiler

Terrell

This device is not usable by anyone, since the class it's restricted to doesn't get L9 devices.  Perhaps this one could either have the Terran Only restriction removed, or have the Tradesman Only be changed to Explorer only (not both though).  That way either the JT or Scout could use the device instead.

ScreenShot36_zps9c78125c.jpg

The Repair equipment buff isn't of any use on this device, since only warriors can repair equipment.  Allowing the JT to use it would make it need the fewest changes, for the buffs to make sense, allowing the Scout to use it is a bit more consistent with the device being of Terran manufacture.

Back in the days of the Westwood beta all toons had L9 everything, Weapons, Reactors, Devices, etc... It wasn't until it moved to ST1-4 that limitations were created for certain classes and races in various areas. A decisions was made that the classes were too generic and didn't allow people very much variety except for the different skills exclusive to the race/class.  Many of the originally designed weapons and equipment were designed for a full range of levels, L1 to L9 for that reason, after ST and into release the items remained in game and has been the subject of many a jab at the original developers.  

It seems that for marketing reasons there was a strict rule about never remove ANY content for ANY reason.  Though in EMU I have no idea why many items are still in the system, such as L9 devices that are TT only and so on.

Even if the TT could use the L9 device, the Improved Repair equipment buff on the device is of no use, as that buff is only useful to the warrior classes.  IMO, the device is poorly designed on that front as well.  I don't necessarily think that the device should be removed as content, but simply fixed to be relevant to the game.  It's a shame to see the device go to waste, and the debuff it carries is useful as it would reduce the mobs' ability to resist skills or debuffs used against them.

I'd propose lifting either the Terran Only restriction, or changing the Tradesmen Only restriction to Explorers Only for this line of devices.  I slightly favor giving this device to the Terran Scout over the Jenquai Seeker, but giving it to the Scout requires more change to the device than giving it to the JT.   My main fear is that TTs would object to giving the device line to a different class, though I'm not sure how much TTs actually use the device. 

The Repair equipment buff is of no use to any of the support classes, the Recharge Shields is useful to the TT, PT, and JT, but not the Scout.  So it could work like this for the L9 version, if it were changed to what I think would work best.

Profiler: L9 device

Terran Only

Explorer Only

Range 3.5K

Weaken Psionic (activated)

Improved Hull Patch (equip)

Increase Mass (equip)

Reduce Signature

If the line was redone for the Scout, the HP buff would start at L5, and the Signature buff would be on the top level of the device.  If the device was to be opened up to all the traders, then the second buff would remain the same, and the 3rd buff would be JT friendly.  IMO making it Scout friendly seems to fit more, since the Scout is an explorer class, it's of Terran manufacture and the device in question is a debuffer. 

Since it's an InfinitiCorp device though, I could see them not wanting the Scout to get it, and to a lesser degree the Seeker, given GETCo's hand in both factions.

For what its worth, they're still there because we haven't had time to focus on items and also because its not a 'marketing thing' as you think but a cardinal sin in game development to have unused content. This is what you would pay a team to be producing, if you have ways to skip around most of it, that's a lost investment. See what I mean?

If you make the 9 Explorer only, then L1 to 8 should be too...

I picked the 9 because it was the easiest one to use (as it's currently unusable), but I do say this with the intent of the line moving to the Scout from the TT.  Sorry if I wasn't adequately clear.   I think this line of devices starts at L3 (so a Scout would be able to use it starting at OL20).  If mobs are able to resist debuffs, or skill use against them, this device would make mobs more likely to fail resistance checks.

Today while I was farming the Gene Hunters with my JT in Paramis I saw another device that's unusable drop.  It was a L9 device that was Jenquai Restricted & Warriors Only.  The only warrior that can use L9 devices is the Jenquai Defender.  However this device is a Sparta device so changing it to allow the JW to use it would go directly against game lore.  (Only Sparta things that Jenquai should be able to use should be MCP rewards.)  I think the device was a Sting Novem, but I also noticed the Laser Scope Novem, in the database has the same problem.

There are a number of similar anomalous devices such as these.. Most are leftovers from pre-release from Westwood.  It would only make sense that they be changed, revised or removed (there is nothing wrong with a line of devices ending at L8... L9 is usually a new build so the L9 only serves as vendor fodder or to be ripped for comps, which is a waste of space.  Although at this juncture I am not sure how easy it would be to remove an item from the system...

But any that can be tweaked to allow them some use would be better than having these loose ends laying around, just seems sloppy to me.

For what its worth, they're still there because we haven't had time to focus on items and also because its not a 'marketing thing' as you think but a cardinal sin in game development to have unused content. This is what you would pay a team to be producing, if you have ways to skip around most of it, that's a lost investment. See what I mean?

I'm certain it isn't the fault of the EMU devs, this stuff was around long before.  Now it is just a remnant that seems odd and confusing.  But throwing ideas of how they could be tweaked to be useful is not a bad thing, I hope.  With some luck and effort these items can be tweaked to find a useful place or removed somehow so they don't just take up space in recipe lists and cargo holds. If a device/item can't be used why even have it around?