How did you aquire your nickname?

Mine, not as valiant as Amethyst's, was created for first person shooters; Quake 2 and 3.

My enemies were determined to shoot me in the back. They'd miss, revealing their location.

I'd turn and GET the threat OFF ME.   :cluebat:    Many thought I was hacking.

Getoffme has been my game name ever since.

Edited by GetOffMe

lol at GetOffMe   :lol:

I used to race my 2000 Mitsu Eclipse (ricer).  I like sliding around turns.  That got me in and out of a few hairy spots, but I digress.  There were a few particular slides I thought were “tight”.  I changed the spelling to match how it sounds and viola, Tiet_Drifter.  I had that name for quite a few years. I've since calmed down the racing but I still like sliding my newly acquired land yacht around back roads late at night.   

:w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

The origin of my characters' names (and the online handles they originate from) is a fairly long and convoluted story. Fortunately, I plan to give the abbreviated version here.

I'm a D&D player from way back, (around 1980) and my main character was a fighter named Brandon Dragoncove. I came up with a backstory for his family name with something about a city being besieged from the sea, and a dragon rose out of the water and wrecked the ships, but it was really just that I like dragons. When I created my main for E&B I thought about him as a descendent of the original Brandon, and like his ancestor he was a bit of a rogue and a con artist. Something like Cyrano Jones or Harry Mudd, but with a conscience. I felt he fit the concept of the trader perfectly. It wasn't a question that he would be my main, because I'd been using the name "Dragoncove" online for years.

My second main was based on a spaceship that I created for a game I wrote for the Commodore 64, at around the same time. This ship just happened to have a swept back wing style similar to the later Jenquai Defender, and a cloaking device that made it invisible to sensors. I had named the ship Midnight (after its jet black color) and since it was pretty much my ship come to life I had to create it in game. I had also been using the name "Alan Midnight" as a programmer, Alan is my middle name and Midnight from being up until 12 am writing programs. :) So the pilot of the ship "Midnight" became "A'llyn".

That left two more characters I wanted to create, a Terran Enforcer, and Jenquai Explorer. Back in my D&D days I had created a female character I named Sandra, and I like wolves, so the two got strung together to form "Sandrawolfe". Finally, I felt that the Explorer's ship, with its solar panel "blades" looked kind of like a knife or sword, and so I came up with the name "Blayyde", using a Y and doubling the letters as with "A'llyn". The ship I named "Silverstrike", both for its color, as I wanted it to be bright and shiny, unlike the stealthy Midnight, and for mining.

Interestingly, the name "Blayyde" has stuck, and I use it all the time in MMOs now, even in preference to "Dragoncove". And yes, I am a character hound. ("Altitis", you may have heard it called, but I was afflicted even back when I played D&D) In City of Heroes, I had over 50 characters, although I regularly played only about 20-30 of them.

"Klyde" was born simply while setting up a character in beta 5 (prior to launch of orginal live) the grandkids were over and watching some cartoon on TV, one of the toons was named Klyde something. The rest is history.

I just took my name from personal experience as there was more than a few times where I was facing dark or "bleak" circumstances and somehow made it through with room to spare whether it was a court date, money owed, in the hospital etc etc. Hence the name, i was facing a "bleak end" and subsequently escaped it relatively unscathed.  As for speenal, I took that as a play on the title to the movie "This is Spinal Tap", and just took spinal from the title and added two e's.