A simple suggestion

Stoop

What if it were possible to "spend" faction points in order to map opposing faction related items (ie: a JS wants to map a Progen reactor he'd have to lose a certain amount of faction from all three Progen classes). We have ways to gain faction through space suits, gene-maps, and whatever, but what good does having +9999 faction do really? We'd still be unable to access starter areas (for a reason) and once you're "green" with another faction you're pretty much safe from ever being shot at by them unless you go on a murderous rampage. I'm sure someone has thought of something similar to this before, but I haven't been able to find it on the forums

I don't think we should allow Jenquai or Progen to analyze, equip, build or dismantle the other race's equipment. At least not until the races figure out that they must work together to fight the V'rix. Then Progen & Jenquai may start to slowly lift Jenquai/Progen restricted from new items.

Instead I think faction should affect what I mention below. (I think it will for at least some of these)

When you're on a station faction with the Starbase's owners should affect:
[list=1]
[*]How much the vendors give you for things you sell.
[*]How much it costs to buy from said vendor.
[*]Analyze chance, Dismantle chance, Build Quality.
[*]Price for using terminals. (Analyze, Build, Refine)
[*]How NPCs talk to you if they don't simply refuse to talk to you.
[*]Whether or not you can get missions you'd otherwise qualify for with a given NPC
[/list]

The price adjustments apply to all classes, but those with Negotiate get these adjustments in addition to bonuses given by the Negotiate skill.

Jenya Erelius, for example; should politely refuse to talk to you if your Sabine is lower than +2000. She should say something along the lines of "I'm not allowed to talk to anyone who works against the Sabine" In live she politely declined conversation with anyone whose Sabine faction was below +2000.

When you're in space, factioned NPCs should be affected as follows:
[list=1]
[*]Whether or not factioned NPCs will attack you
[*]Whether or not you can go through certain gates (so far only applies to BBW & Paramis)
[*]How space NPCs, with dialogue, treat you and whether or not they'll give you missions.
[*]Whether or not you can land on or register with particular starbases.
[/list]

Instead I'd rather see some good items, whose recipes only come from doing particular class specific missions. This would apply to all classes, but Traders would see the most, followed by Explorers, then Warriors. Faction requirements for at least some of those missions should apply.

pah! why on earth (or by Jove) would any self respecting Jenquai even want to map Progen equipment? It's all noisy, overrated, clunky & unsubtle junk!

;)

but seriously, yes faction should have more influence beyond just the usual attack-or-not stuff it's relegated to at the moment.

I like the idea of your faction influencing all those things in those lists. Maybe we should have a few faction restricted shortcut gates, even sectors too.

I've always enjoyed the idea of making travel selectively dangerous in-game. Like, say you need to move some "goods"; maybe those "goods" are "frowned upon" in "certain communities", but you may have to cut through their territory to get your trade route done quickest. What would be even better would be a system whereby the faster you get to your destination, the more profit/XP you make. That would really make smuggling fun. Of course, if you get caught they'll throw you in the brig, take your cargo, and some kind of fine. Really, I'd just like to be Han Solo and/or a Red Dragon.

This could be applied to factions. For instance, the Jenquai may dislike you moving genetic material for Progen cloning projects around their space, and the Progen may hassle you if you're hauling Jenquai pilgrims or some such nonsense. Of course, all three races are bound to act a fool if you're transporting some kind of illicit cargo, like hot TV sets, or "spice".

On NPC interactions, there needs to be an exception for when the station ownership's faction differs from the NPC's faction. In such a case, faction with the NPC's affiliation, should take precedence over the affiliation of the station's owners. So if you have a RD NPC on a InfinitiCorp base, RD faction would dictate how that NPC behaves towards you rather than IC faction, while IC faction would still decide the other things mentioned earlier.

Edit: that sounds pretty cool CDel. Perhaps there could also be some smuggling missions that work along those lines. There were "illegal" trade goods in Live, can't remember what would happen if you got caught with them, but there were RD NPCs that had items (trade goods) to be delivered to particular locations. One of them was in Chernevog Station. Using Smuggler's run was the most efficent way to do so, and said NPC would not show his wares to anyone with RD below +2000.

Tradesmen, Scouts, and Explorers all make good smugglers, all 3 are very fast, and the JE can also warp while cloaked. Those would be good things for those classes, and if JT could cloak while warping she'd be good at it too, just noticably slower.

Also another possiblity when caught smuggling, if you're caught by the Progen you end up in Detention Center Onorom after the encounter, if you're caught by the Jenquai, it's Androzari Reflection Center in Menorb (when that sector re-opens). Not sure where we should send people caught by Terrans.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1324666878' post='50208']Not sure where we should send people caught by Terrans.
[/quote]

Make em restart on the desolate surface of Earth, LOL.