Obituaries

Its been a hell of a week in losing people who were instrumental in the tech sector. Steve Job's being the first I heard about this week, next was these fellas:

Dennis Ritchie - Was the inventor of the C programming language.

[url]http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=dennis-ritchie&pid=154063273[/url]

Robert Galvin - Motorola's CEO since 1959. He pioneered many gadgets that we take for granted today, including the cell phone. I saw him in a newer "Modern Marvels" episode and had the pleasure of meeting him in person. he was a cool old guy who loved going to work everyday. He spent a great deal of time working directly with designers and engineers on every product. He knew them inside and out, and loved working in the trenches with the people who helped make Motorola successful, and he did it as a working member of the team. More companies need CEO's like this guy.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=robert-galvin&pid=154050933

Thanks for reading...

-Overt.

Ritchie was at least as influential on modern computing as Steve Jobs.

The C programming language is used or has influenced the code used in almost every computing device that we use today from computers to mobile phones. I started my career working on C and Unix back in the distant past and owe a great deal to Ritchie and his colleagues for the simple genius of both these works.

RIP Dennis Ritchie.