Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the AsiaPac area affected by this. Looks horrific. Hope everyone here with family/friends/acquaintances over there is able to make contact and that they are safe and sound. Our office over there is OK and all of our people are, too, but clearly not everyone was so fortunate.
  • Upvote 2

Indeed, our thoughts are with those in the affected areas. The pictures I've seen of the devastation in Japan are shocking, but, and I can only speak from what I've seen through the news media, I am impressed at the preparedness and coping ability of Japanese infrastructure. An earthquake of this magnitude is no trifle, especially having been paired with the resultant tsunami; I find it difficult to imagine how any nation could avoid falling absolutely to shambles in such a crisis. I hope for a quick recovery, the rescue of those yet trapped in collapsed or damaged structures, and that the aid the international community has en route helps to alleviate the suffering of those caught in this tragedy.

I am amazed there is no looting or crimes going on . (at least none been reported)
There culture is based on values that I wish we had here in the US.

You all know if LA was hit like Japan was there will be folk's looting and killing pep's around them to get food and water.

Still I pray for them.

[quote name='Maniac' timestamp='1300071907' post='36499']
From what I heard one of the nuclear reactors blew up from overheating because of the tsunami.
[/quote]

NO! Please don't spread FUD like this over such a serious situation, some people might believe you and become overly alarmed.

There's a a BIG difference between vented hydrogen getting access to oxygen and blowing the roof/walls off a building and actually having a reactor (the vessel in that building) blowing up. As of the latest reports all of the reactor vessels are still intact.

The situation remains quite grim and they are a long way from being out of the woods but at this time their biggest issue remains reliable power to pump the water. All of the reactors have reportedly been stopped (control rods fully inserted to damp the reaction) but the decay of the fuel rods is still generating tremendous heat. Until this is under control the threat of some type of melt-down remains.

Very, very sad for everyone affected by this. Any incident where one of the logistics issues is running out of body bags is just horrific.

Jarod I meant [u]no disrespect[/u] or anything I was just stating what I had heard.

I am with you in thinking this is one of worst disasters in modern history, and I do respect how tragic it it is to everyone around the world.

My prayers and thoughts go out to all the families affected in this disaster and pray that this situation does not get any worse than it already is.