Repurpose a chat channel or two for LFG and Help

Just thought it would be nice to have a dedicated LFG channel and a Help channel. Many players turn off New Player, many don't watch or use the dedicated race/class channels (I rarely ever see anything that's not on Market, New Players or General myself), so you see LFG and help requests spammed across the common channels often enough to notice.

It would probably help GMs to have the Help channel so they can specifically watch it, come to think of it. I know we have a ticket system, but you still see those requests across different channels.

See:

I believe we could repurpore channels, and we could use slash commands for such specific purposes. We do this now for staff (e.g. the "/be <message>" command allows us to talk on the Beta channel). We could easily add something like "/help Help me GMs!!!1" or "/lfg Help me uber playerz!!!1". If there's enough interest expressed in such things, it would be fairly quick to wire that up.

I'd be for the HELP channel, think the LFGs could stay in General but if need for a channel is there I suppose. As it stands now I have to monitor 3 channels mainly to catch peoples cry for help on Market, New Player and General. Sometimes if a lot of chatter is going on related to those channels, the requests for help scroll past to fast/chat window fills up. Hence why I depend on ticket system usage over chat due to the amount of requests received and chatting inbetween lately I dont want anyone to feel left out of support due to a missed chat/tell.

Again though the player base would need to be aware, of said channel and its specific use, as I would probably stop monitoring the other 3 as much perhaps still be in General and New Players but the need to watch Market should definitely decline.

Anyhow just my 2cents.

I'd be for the HELP channel, think the LFGs could stay in General but if need for a channel is there I suppose. As it stands now I have to monitor 3 channels mainly to catch peoples cry for help on Market, New Player and General. Sometimes if a lot of chatter is going on related to those channels, the requests for help scroll past to fast/chat window fills up. Hence why I depend on ticket system usage over chat due to the amount of requests received and chatting inbetween lately I dont want anyone to feel left out of support due to a missed chat/tell.

Again though the player base would need to be aware, of said channel and its specific use, as I would probably stop monitoring the other 3 as much perhaps still be in General and New Players but the need to watch Market should definitely decline.

Anyhow just my 2cents.

Good points - the Help channel would definitely be the most beneficial. I'll start coding it up in case we decide to go for it. (Should be fairly simple)

Edit: Surprisingly simple. Coded and ready to go.

Edited by C Del

nice work :)

suggestion, try adding some descriptions to the channels to notify users (upon login or join) what each channel is for.

That's a good idea. We actually already have one for New Players, but no one sees it because it gets sent to the system side of the chat box. I'n working on a little system to make channel descriptions easy to put in now. They'll print to the chat part of the window in the color of the channel when you join the channel or log in. I'm only going to put a description on New Players and maybe Market for now - I don't want people being inundated with annoying messages on log in.

See:

I believe we could repurpore channels, and we could use slash commands for such specific purposes. We do this now for staff (e.g. the "/be <message>" command allows us to talk on the Beta channel). We could easily add something like "/help Help me GMs!!!1" or "/lfg Help me uber playerz!!!1". If there's enough interest expressed in such things, it would be fairly quick to wire that up.

I saw that initially but didn't want to hijack the thread, since it dealt with a different chat channel suggestion.

Anyhow just my 2cents.

Hmm, I didn't know that LFG goes in General, and I'll bet a lot of other players don't either, given how many LFGs I see in New Players and Market. I'm aware of the group matching system (incredible for its time - kudos Westwood!) but I don't know of very many people actually using it. Perhaps a sticky post or something spreading the word about how to do LFG would help? I'd prefer something that shows in-client tho :\

Edit: just saw CDel's post about adding text descriptions to channels. That'd work.