Account and character improvements

hey, i'm back ;)

here's some suggestions:

• #1: allow renaming characters through the net-7.org site account manager. makes people happy because:
  • --- they can pick new names whenever they want
  • --- they don't need to annoy GMs with character renaming
  • #2: associate accounts with each others, as long as the forum username is the same. this could allow 2 things
  • --- moving characters betweens accounts with no intervention from GMs
  • --- having the same password for all accounts
  • #3: allow login to multiple characters at once from the same account (but obviously don't allow login to same character). this could be controlled server-side, probably without modifications on the client. after all, it's the server that has the rules. benefits:
  • --- you don't need an account per character, if you intend to login to more than 1 character at a given time (example, you might have 4 characters, 2 terran, 2 progen, split into 2 accounts. one day you need to login both terrans, but they are on the same account, so you can't login both).
  • --- moving characters from point above would help organize accounts, if needed
  • --- less annoyances for GMs when needing to change characters

since we don't have account and/or guild vault (not character vault), higher limit of characters per account or item transfer methods between accounts without other players coded in the game, and likely that won't be possible either, the suggestions above might overcome some of these issues.

great work guys :D

There are quite a few problems with your ideas, some have been addressed before.

#1: Allow renaming characters through the net-7.org site account manager.

This one can be easily abused.

Example:

Someone is given an item to "upgrade".

He/she takes the item and logs.

He/she renames his/her character.

No one is the wiser, item stolen.

#2: Associate accounts with each others, as long as the forum username is the same. this could allow 2 things

# --- moving characters between accounts with no intervention from GMs

# --- having the same password for all accounts

Not a bad idea but moving characters between accounts all the time could cause degradation in the character data, As for the same password for all accounts you already can do that, I do.

#3: allow login to multiple characters at once from the same account

This one i read about the other day, someone suggested it and a Dev told him/her that it was not possible due to possible server side data corruption. Said something about it could cause file structure damage to the database and character data.

didn't understood #1.

if the item ugprades maps to player name, make it map to a player ID.

the ini files already reference to player IDs.

#2:

assuming the data is moved correctly, why would it degrade?

is it stored in binary? that sucks.

about passwords, i meant automatic syncronization between accounts. 1 password for all tied to the forum username.

#3:

binary data again?

how about storing the game data in a SQL server?

MySQL/MariaDB with InnoDB/XtraDB or PostgreSQL is the right way to go.

they support atomic transactions and the tables don't get locked. and are free. there's plenty of people who knows about it, it's not a dead end with few resources and few experts who charge too much.

you can't do the same with flat files, binary files or other simpler storage methods. SQLite is insufficient as well for a big deployment as this is.

Edited by LPCA

#1-No MMO has ever allowed a player to change his/her name, causes too many problems.

-If your not happy with your name ask a GM, is not that hard and they are always willing to help.

#2 & #3- I would assume that since a Dev has said it could cause data degradation to run more than one character on one account im sure he/she knows what they are talking about. I would also assume that since it can cause this degradation by running 2 characters on same account that it would also be possible that degradation could happen if you transferred a character from one account to another more than once.

You also have to put into consideration that this is not a full game as of yet, we are still only in the stress test phase.

I believe that what the Dev was refering to when they said it was not possible to run more than one character on the same account was that it causes data conflicts between the character on that account.

It is possible also that the Dev was referring to instability with the server side data.

Also You yourself can change your passwords to how you see fit now. Dont see why the Devs would spend time on this when they have more things to worry about right now.

This is Just my Opinion on this subject, and only constructive criticism.

#1-No MMO has ever allowed a player to change his/her name, causes too many problems.

-If your not happy with your name ask a GM, is not that hard and they are always willing to help.

#2 & #3- I would assume that since a Dev has said it could cause data degradation to run more than one character on one account im sure he/she knows what they are talking about. I would also assume that since it can cause this degradation by running 2 characters on same account that it would also be possible that degradation could happen if you transferred a character from one account to another more than once.

You also have to put into consideration that this is not a full game as of yet, we are still only in the stress test phase.

I believe that what the Dev was refering to when they said it was not possible to run more than one character on the same account was that it causes data conflicts between the character on that account.

It is possible also that the Dev was referring to instability with the server side data.

Also You yourself can change your passwords to how you see fit now. Dont see why the Devs would spend time on this when they have more things to worry about right now.

This is Just my Opinion on this subject, and only constructive criticism.

well, i haven't looked at the code and i hardly know how it works, and what methods are used, how many servers, etc.

i do know that anything can be improved. limits can be overcome. things can be more or less changed. and my suggestions aim for that.

it would likely help if the emu was open source - but i'm not getting into that in this topic.

well, i haven't looked at the code and i hardly know how it works, and what methods are used, how many servers, etc.

i do know that anything can be improved. limits can be overcome. things can be more or less changed. and my suggestions aim for that.

it would likely help if the emu was open source - but i'm not getting into that in this topic.

From what Im told it is Open Source, at least the Net7 part of it. I have not looked myself but from what im told the server files and such are available to anyone that wants it. Easiest way I can think of to find em is to make a thread asking for them.

From what Im told it is Open Source, at least the Net7 part of it. I have not looked myself but from what im told the server files and such are available to anyone that wants it. Easiest way I can think of to find em is to make a thread asking for them.

well the SourceForge project is dead and has no published files.

a search for enb emu CVS, returns the other emu project, not this one.

a search in the forum, gives me the SVN thread:

https://forum.enb-emu...3698#entry33698

but the SVN viewer isn't working for net-7.

the code isn't shared.

the database is, but only the older versions

but moving on, the point is not that, but rather, the suggestions above.

since no other expert can look at the code and provide input, only the developers in the project can give answers.

Edited by LPCA

Sigh,

You dont seem to get my point.....

Ask for it.

Dont keep complaining over and over about it, ask one of the Devs for the code if you think you can contribute to the project.

You got to understand not all the links work correctly still due to the forum crash a couple of weeks ago, and yes they keep the current database secret for a reason.

If you want to get on the project, you know how to read and adjust code to fix bugs, and they feel they need help on the project then by all means just ask them.

Make a new thread asking how you can obtain it.

Sigh,

You dont seem to get my point.....

Ask for it.

Dont keep complaining over and over about it, ask one of the Devs for the code if you think you can contribute to the project.

You got to understand not all the links work correctly still due to the forum crash a couple of weeks ago, and yes they keep the current database secret for a reason.

If you want to get on the project, you know how to read and adjust code to fix bugs, and they feel they need help on the project then by all means just ask them.

Make a new thread asking how you can obtain it.

i'm not complaining about anything. and i didn't say i would contribute by developing...

i came here to make suggestions, hoping to hear from devs what is possible and what isn't.

instead i just hear you complaining about my suggestions.

i'm not commenting further until the topic gets constructive ideas.

Wow, so this thread is moving quickly.

1: We're not going to allow renaming of characters. Unfortunately, as Maniac mentioned, it's just too full a can of worms to open.

2: I would certainly like to have all the accounts linked together. Eventually, I'd like to see the forum and Net-7 accounts linked very closely together so you can manage everything all at once. As for transferring characters between accounts - maybe, but not quite yet. This requires a bit of an overhaul to how we handle the associations between characters and accounts.

3: This is rather unlikely to happen for a few technical reasons. Players used to be able to do this, but it caused problems with data being corrupted/overwritten. Because we allow players to have 3 accounts per forum account, and I can't imagine you'd need more than 15 characters or 3 online at one time, it doesn't seem like a huge problem. Also, it is useful for us to only allow one simultaneously logged-in character per account for security and stability, and account and/or guild-wide vaults have been discussed and are not out of the question.

Lastly, don't worry, we don't store our data in flat files - we use MySQL, our only limitation is the limited amount of development time we have; we only have one active server developer at the moment, and despite his extreme persistence, he can only work so fast.

I regret I can't give you the answers you wanted, but I hope I was at least able to fully respond to your suggestions in a way that helps. Don't hesitate to ask more questions - we're always willing to listen to players' suggestions.

Wow. :blink:

I said about the same thing as C Del and you hash me about it.

Common I was only trying to offer constructive criticism and help.

But thank you C Del ya put it all in more of a clear format than I was able to. :huh:

Edited by Maniac

This is the worst place to fact distort that.

Mainly becayse ENB had name change for cash. It was even the reason the official ENB forums were closed forever. Since name changing is only for scammers their anonymity was not safeguarded when the forums obviously obvious showed their new name.