Beam damage vs distance

When i joined the pre-live beta, one of the first things i noticed was beams doing 50% more damage to targets at less than half the max range. Since playing the emulator and not seeing it in effect, i've been trying to remember some point at which they removed it in live, but i can't seem to find any in my mind.

I would like to see some kind of distance damage modifier again for beam weapons, maybe something like splitting the range in 3 and doing 50% more on the closest and doing less than normal on the furthest.

When i joined the pre-live beta, one of the first things i noticed was beams doing 50% more damage to targets at less than half the max range. Since playing the emulator and not seeing it in effect, i've been trying to remember some point at which they removed it in live, but i can't seem to find any in my mind.

I would like to see some kind of distance damage modifier again for beam weapons, maybe something like splitting the range in 3 and doing 50% more on the closest and doing less than normal on the furthest.

That is not implemented yet. So enjoy the 7.74km+ beam range @ max damage while you can... :D

(dg+vindis beam focus+lvl9 prototypes)

:)

Cia

That is not implemented yet. So enjoy the 7.74km+ beam range @ max damage while you can... :D

(dg+vindis beam focus+lvl9 prototypes)

:)

Cia

Shhhhh.... my JE and JT would thank you to not draw too much attention to this. The range actually makes them useful in a group with Terrans/Progens. :)

Edited by Fuulish

Personally, it never made much sense to me that beams had range based dmg modifiers. They're lasers (the energy ones anyways)! Light in a vacuum does not suffer any appreciable diffusion over a 5km distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Yuri, but we (original beta testers) argued at length many times with Westwood devs about physics and damage types. They never listened. We are stuck with what we have, for the 3 weapon types and their ranges. The reason is just pure gameplay style and balance, and isn't based in reality. :/

Small correction to OP, if I remember right, beams did 50% at their max range. Less than that, was full damage as listed in their info. Maybe that's what he meant to say, but it wasn't reading right to me %)