Looking for help with initial install.

It has been a good 9-10 years since I have had the pleasure of playing Earth and Beyond. The craving for nostalgia hit hard, so I am in the process of installing. However, I have come across an issue that I am having difficulties with.

Following the step by step instructions provided, I am at 

"10. Next, navigate to your 'Start' menu and locate the Earth and Beyond shortcut Folder.
11. Once there, run the 'Earth & Beyond Configuration' shortcut, and select your desired settings. Make sure you run as 'Administrator' (Rightclick the shortcut and select 'Run as Admin') and also hit the 'Performance Test'."

There are no files called "Earth & Beyond Configuration", or any abbreviations of it. The only thing close I can find is "EBCONFIG" which is a folder with images and other assets in it. Cannot follow the directions in that locations.

I am also having an issue with the "LaunchNet7". Since the previous step had no solutions I could find, I made an attempt to move further on. That lead me to another issue. Upon the launch of it (in and out of admin) I receive a pop up notifying me 

"An app on your PC needs the following Windows Feature:

.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)"

Prompting me to Download said feature, or skip. I've tried both. The download leads to a never ending load bar "searching" for said files, while the Skip option just closes down the application. I even used the "Tell me more about this feature" option, and went into my control panel to manually "check" the .Net option. Which once again lead to a never ending bar searching for files.

I am at a loss on the next step. Any information would be welcomed. 

I am running Win11 if that is of importance. 

ENBConfig is the EnB configuration program

the .NET framework  if you do the windows update that dropped today April 9 2024  there was an update to the .NET framework,  you may need to run update on your computer before you install the EnB game then the Net-7 Launcher Client,

i have installed the game on both win 10 and win 11 and have cone through installs with out any issues.  

the install instructions here in the forums are very accurate and work as advertised.

Posted (edited)

I am not questioning the accuracy of the instructions presented, merely seeking help for a issue I am encountering.

I will install the updates mentioned for windows in hopes it solves my .NET framework issue. The odds of there being an update on this the day I attempt to play is.. I should play the lotto today or something.

That said, I am still at a loss of the ENBConfig you mention and that on the instructions.

I looked at the Download page once more, to ensure I didn't miss anything obvious that says "ENBConfig". Which, I don't believe I did. I see Client, Notifier, and Client Patch.

If that is referring to the file I mentioned, as I said. It is a Folder with assets in it. It doesn't launch any program or anything I can interact with. I went through each file available from the Demo download. Used the Search feature with the exact spelling and different abbreviation, as well as sorting by Type and looking at all Applications. I cannot locate it.

As it stands, I am still at a loss and all I would like to do is play a nostalgic game.

After the Windows update goes through, if I still have issues I will report back. Hopefully that config isn't needed or it gets resolved somehow as I do not know what to do in the meantime.

Edit:

Windows Update is stuck on the .NET framework "patch". It has been "Installing - 0%" for about 25 minutes now. Is this in any way tied to the EnB or Net7 installs? I don't think so, however on can never know. 

Edited by Killerjd

Posted (edited)

I am at a complete loss as what to do.

I have tried to install, uninstall, and reinstall both the EnB Demo and Net7 Launcher multiple times.

Aside from the ENBConfig program, which I still cannot find. That is secondary to the fact that I cannot "Launch" Net7. 

I repeatedly get hit with the error mentioning 

"An app on your PC needs the following Windows Feature:

.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)"

I allow the Net7 launcher to "search and install", which leads to a never ending load bar that requires Task Manager to shut down. If I shut off my PC while it is running, it does a "Windows Update" indefinitely. Requiring me to hard shut down. Both after hours of letting it "search".

I've manually used the "Windows Features" program to turn it on, which once again leads to a never ending search/load.

I've done everything I can think of, and nothing is working. I am unsure if it is a Windows issue, if there is some complication from the two programs I downloaded, or user error. Whatever the case, I do not know of a next step to take aside from returning to these forums and asking for help. If no one is able, capable, or willing. I will have to try again in a few weeks, or years, to immerse myself in nostalgia. It is quite frustrating. I believe I followed all instructions properly. Ask any question you think is needed if you can help. I will do my best to answer as clearly as possible. I do hope it is just a user error issue.

Edited by Killerjd

Definitely sounds like a Windows issue to me, I wouldn't mess with EnB anymore until you sort out what's going on with Windows Update and the .NET Framework; obviously neither of those have anything to do with EnB and it's simply a prerequisite for EnB to work.

FWIW the E&B Config program mentioned in the instructions should be located at something roughly like:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe"

There is also a newer fan-made tool bundled with the Net-7 install which is a bit nicer and endeavors to do the same things:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\net7config.exe"

(sometimes when one of these doesn't work for someone the other does)

HOWEVER, I can't emphasize enough that these applications (which are mostly for setting up your video settings) aren't relevant at all and indeed might not even be getting installed yet if you aren't getting past the .NET Framework install.

I'm a Linux guy so I can't really help you with Win11 Windows Updates (but Windows Update is a healthy part of why I'm a Linux guy, lol!)

I would google things about trying to reset or cleanup Windows Updates... I'm guessing you've got some bad staged files that need to be cleaned up to let the updates continue and succeed. You might also try reverting to a recent system restore point if you have one that won't result in losing other changes you made since.

Ultimately though I can about guarantee your issue has nothing to do with EnB and this forum is going to be of limited help in sorting out your issue beyond whatever general Windows troubleshooting expertise others can provide.

Edited by Codemonkeyx

Sounds to me that you are missing the older libraries.

You can download and run the setup for the .Net Framework 3.5 from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

When you have .Net 3.5 installed, rerun the setup of EnB + Net-7.

After that, run EnBConfig.exe as administrator at the path CodeMonkey's post above.

Hope this helps. :)

An update.

After 3+ days of trouble shooting. Scouring the internet (googling lawl) of solutions, and people with similar issues.

Soft reformatting. Debugging. Installing 3rd party programs. Safe mode. You name it, I did it. Having NOTHING work. No sign of the issue as no error codes popped up.

I gave up. I checked it one last time and it was still offline. Defeated, I restarted my PC and went about to look for other games to play.

Shutting off the PC last night, I felt like checking one more time "Just incase'. No downloads happened, no installations. Nothing changed since last I looked.

To my surprise. It was installed and turned on.

How?

I have ZERO idea. None what so ever.

Everything I did had zero immediate effect. Codes for Cmd prompt. Installations. Resets. Reformats. Everything had no success. 

Yet, here we are.

I guess.. when you give up. Things fix it self.

That is the moral of the story I am going with.

On 4/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, Killerjd said:

An update.

After 3+ days of trouble shooting. Scouring the internet (googling lawl) of solutions, and people with similar issues.

Soft reformatting. Debugging. Installing 3rd party programs. Safe mode. You name it, I did it. Having NOTHING work. No sign of the issue as no error codes popped up.

I gave up. I checked it one last time and it was still offline. Defeated, I restarted my PC and went about to look for other games to play.

Shutting off the PC last night, I felt like checking one more time "Just incase'. No downloads happened, no installations. Nothing changed since last I looked.

To my surprise. It was installed and turned on.

How?

I have ZERO idea. None what so ever.

Everything I did had zero immediate effect. Codes for Cmd prompt. Installations. Resets. Reformats. Everything had no success. 

Yet, here we are.

I guess.. when you give up. Things fix it self.

That is the moral of the story I am going with.

Enabling a feature as .NET is generally set up now typically requires a restart to reload the library. So if you followed something that had you enable the .NET 3.5 so it would work, then later restarted, that would have probably be your culprit.