Completely new to this :)

Hey, well first I'd like to say thanks a lot for making the enb emulator and giving us a chance to play this game.

There are a few things I don't understand though so I thought i'd ask here. First of all, I don't think I went through a tutorial when I created my avatar. I'm not sure if this feature is implemented or not but is there any way to activate the tutorial? Or maybe some guide to help a noob out?

Also, when I start the net 7 client there are plenty of options I can check. Which ones should I check? I checked packet opt. but I don't know what the others do. And in the server list I am given 2 servers - multiplayer and multiplayer custom. I heard somewhere that the mp component of the game is not quite finished yet, but the single player is. If so, I'd rather play in singleplayer mode. How would you activate singleplayer mode?

just check packet optimization and thats it... and yeah... we are a little short on tutorials atm... just go in New Player chat and start asking questions... all the sarcasm in that channel aside... usually a lot of people will helpu

You want multiplayer, not single; I have multiplayer (custom), packet optimization on. Leave all the stuff in Misc unchecked *except* maybe Local Cert if you get INV-300 errors. What OS are you running on? Runs great on XP, if you are on Win7 usually best to run in XP mode.

As Avani noted the Tutorial that was available when game was Live isn't here, though I believe one is close to being available. I'd guess that the majority of the players are former EnB'rs from when the game was Live so most of us only needed a refresher - but obviously for players new to the game a Primer would be helpful. So - use the New Player chat channel for those questions as well as checking the chat channels appropriate to your race/class (I'm a TT so Terran and Trader, for example). The best part of the EnB game experience was always the community and it's a really good one in this Emulator - so ask for help and you will usually receive it.

You want multiplayer, not single;

k, so what if I >do< want Single Player like what used to be available, and simply want to poke around and quietly enjoy some enbemulatorness? I too no longer see a Single Player option, and in fact the Net7 folder looks a tad light from what it used to.

I was hoping after all this time there was some Epic package of server+content to play with on my own, single-player isolation galaxy. ;)

Are you saying the only way to experience EnB Emulator now is on the public test server?

To play EnB by yourself, you'd now have to set up a complete multiplayer server on your computer. It's quite complicated and probably not worth it. I had a guide to doing it, but since the web server died a few months ago I haven't gotten it back up.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. mMorpg

You're missing the point, smart guy. I don't like that the only possible way to experience ENBEmu is to be on this project's test server. Forcing me to mMorpg is not something I am interested in.

I've been asking for over two years if it's possible to setup my own server, and I get completely ignored by devs and admins alike. Finally thought I'd ask the community and, well, there ya go. Precisely why I won't waste my time on your test server with a bunch of bratty kids.

C Del, I do remember a guide long ago, but alas, I cannot find that or any hint of how to setup a PRIVATE multi-player/single-player server. Maybe if I am lucky or donate enough money, a dev will feel I am worthy of a simple answer.

Not asking anyone to set my shit up for me, just asking if it's possible so I can determine if it's worth my time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In a nutshell, all public documentation regarding how to setup a private server disappeared a while ago. I believe it was when the forums site blew up and had to be rebuilt. Also at that time, the code base for private was for an empty universe with no code to spawn mobs or anything like that.

Now... If you want to basically bring up your own Emu-verse of current stuff, you'd need to actually get a copy of all the code (including the database info). As far as I know, the WebSVN doesn't currently have all the code base in it, so you'll need to obtain the rest of the stuff from someone intimate with the inner workings.

Having said that, it's quite an undertaking to bring up a live private server, and there's already a splinter group doing that. If you truly desire to bring up your, you may want to try and ask around and see if the splinter group is willing to help you out.

P.S. Personal opinion here, I don't care for the further fracturing of the community base that would result from having private server. But I won't give you the run around either, so good luck with your endeavors.

To be honest, I don't want to encourage the use of a private server largely because of what Fuulish mentioned. I'm worried that my efforts to aid community members may aid the small group attempting to set up a secondary public server, which I fear will be harmful to the project at large. Please give me a few days to mull it over and talk with other staff members, as I'm overloaded with schoolwork presently. That said, it is definitely possible to set up a private server and to have it populated with mobs, et cetera, provided you have one of the database files, which are publicly available from certain dates.

C Del and Fuulish, thank you for the adult responses to my question. I can appreciate the need to drive 100% of the interested player base to a single server for testing purposes. Rest assured, it is not my intention to advertise or promote an alternative option. I just want to run an EnB Emulator after being a part of the original team that got it going in the first place :) I've waited years. And while I do comprehend the reasoning it seems a little childish to go to that extent to prevent "the enemy" from gaining a foothold. If their efforts are so popular that you have something to worry about, maybe enb-emulator.com should take a look into why?

The efforts here both in code and content have been an enormous undertaking, and I applaud that. But taking that code, data, and docs, and "hiding" them from everyone because someone else might put up a server is just ridiculous. And controlling where I am allowed to experience this Open Source project is definitely whittling away at the great respect I have for these efforts.

Probably doesn't mean anything to anyone... but those are my thoughts on it.

• Upvote 1

You don't even have a clue on what boxes to tick on the first page you encounter ?

Based on your question it's safe to assume you will never be able to create your own private server. :)

Edit : Not being bratty as you claimed the other answers, but just being realistic. There is a small difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I appreciate anyone and everyone's input on the project, and it does concern me when anyone has criticisms, because, while some do like to just cause fuss, most simply want the community to be the best that it can, and we would be remiss not to consider their thoughts. However, I must insist that we are not "hiding" information. I am withholdng a complete guide and assistance regarding the installation of a private server, which I was because I simply cannot allow myself to aid and contribute to the efforts of those who would like to draw people away from the project, and I add that I am doing so only temporarily. I'd also like to add that I am not simply looking out for Net7, I just believe firmly that splitting the community up would slow progress and hold us back from building up a larger playerbase, hurting the effort to resurrect the game I love.

Also, as a side note, I apologize if this seems rude, however, to say that we are an open-source project is not to say that we must, are obligated to, or should be expected to provide support for private installation; I have only done so personally in the past because I like to help.

Lastly, please refrain from hostility in this thread.

Is it true that the SVN is no longer complete? (not counting the DB of course) If that's the case that seems like a change in the way the project is now being managed. I was wondering if that's the case when (and who made) that decision was made.

I hope that's really not the case and seems really strange as there was a recent anouncement that the schemas have been updated and released.

Now totally confused about the intent of this project,

Spacegrrrl

No, the SVN is complete an contains all necessary code to create a current, fully functional installation of the server. in the name of transparency, I will say that there is a private SVN, but only two tools, designed for GMs, are kept there. These tools are kept privately because their code could, and inevitably would, be used against the emulator were it released.

I wanted to clarify my previous statement about "not all the code is in the WebSVN" so as to remove any negative connotation that I may have inadvertantly conveyed. From the SVN, I don't currently see such things as Unix style start/stop scripts, database load scripts and things of this nature. Anyone not fully versed with starting a server process would need to build these themselves or ask for them in order to run their own private server. This is not the sort of thing one would expect to exist in an SVN, so I apologize if I accidentally made it sound like something was hidden on purpose. That was not my intent.

• Upvote 1

C Del, thanks for the clarification - I was not referring to you, or anyone else here, purposefully hiding documentation on how I can steal all your customers :P (not at all my intent, but it appears you will not believe me) I was talking about Fuulish's comment about WebSVN and the code needed to enable a private multi-player server. Fuulish has clarified his statement as well, so I apologize and retract any inference that enb-emulator project might be hindering our abilities.

No one is getting hostile. Not sure where that comes from.

I would love to understand why Numiah2 seems to think I do not know how to use the launcher? Single-Player is gone, as is stated very clearly in this thread, by Jarod and others. I am not "missing" anything. Sure, I can point my launcher to some local FQDN/IP, but what's the point of trying that if my compile of enb-emulator does not allow it?

Look, I am not asking for instructions. I asked, originally, if it's even possible. Contrary to Numiah2's assumptions of me being an idiot, if it's possible, I will be able to figure it out. I just didn't want to waste my time if it was not possible.

C Del, you can consider my line of questioning closed :(