Weapons slot devices and XL Ammo

DSMK2

First, weapons slot devices, powerful buff devices that appear on your ship. Essentially they're weapons that don't fire, only provide buffs and or activated skills to your ship. Example would be a spinning radar disk that significantly increases scan range, thus turning your ship into a scout. Or even a cloaking field generator, gives the player access to a low level cloak skill. My personal favorite idea would be a sort of weapons overloader, increases firing rate by some large amount, but makes weapons much more prone to breaking. Aside from the buff trade-offs, the cost will be a weapons slot.

Now, I want XL Ammo stacks, sell em at a company outlet store or something. Non-manufacturable, extra large stack ammo that's only sold there. I've also always wondered why weapons and equipment made by reputed companies aren't sold in shops, experimental weapons I can understand. So yea, would be nice to have an actual company station that sells most of it's products.

screw XL... I want XXXXL ammo stacks... I dont care if they only come in limited colors because of size... STO ftw on ammo... unlimited photon torpedos and mines... sry but it needs to be said... ammo is not a balance factor imo its just a nuisance and weapon builders... well Ill speak for myself and a few people I know... hate to make it anyway...

First, weapons slot devices, powerful buff devices that appear on your ship. Essentially they're weapons that don't fire, only provide buffs and or activated skills to your ship. Example would be a spinning radar disk that significantly increases scan range, thus turning your ship into a scout. Or even a cloaking field generator, gives the player access to a low level cloak skill. My personal favorite idea would be a sort of weapons overloader, increases firing rate by some large amount, but makes weapons much more prone to breaking. Aside from the buff trade-offs, the cost will be a weapons slot.

So basically you want to turn the combat classes into JE's? Lots of devices and few weapons. :(

So basically you want to turn the combat classes into JE's? Lots of devices and few weapons. :(

Pretty much, though its gonna be a device spam for JE's. I'm thinking of this as a way for a role reversal, or a role strengthening, or a completely new sub-role. Sticking on a weapons overcharger can turn a JE into a viable combat ship, twin hyper repeating lasers? A external shield amplifier that increases the max shields to a extent... Or a radar system that turns a ship into a sniper class... Someones gonna exaggerate this.

Though with the powerful buffs, there should be a debuff. And fairly long install times, so switching them out on the fly is a no go.

You're asking for a "WIN BUTTON" for JE's.

Heh heh, I don't know, I play a PW myself. I really just want to present an idea the devs can use rather than I want specifically this or that!

[EDIT:]

To be more clear, I'm asking for external ship subsystems, like Homeworld.

you need to have your sarcasm detector checked... I am serious... screw ammo... just make it unlimited... :)

my .02

How about an external ammo tug that get pulled along behind you - adds mass and slows down warp/thrust speed by 50%. Comes with free support that constantly keeps it full (unlimited ammo), but if you get blown up it also takes out anyone else within 5K of your ship.

You're asking for a "WIN BUTTON" for JE's.

More like an button for PWs and TEs, if we talking about adding cloak and scan range.

Just roll a JD and be done with it, if you want decent scan, cloak, and missile kiting (however limited by cargo hold size).

And get some lowbie TT/JT/PPs to schlep ammo from one of your fabrication mules :)

How about an external ammo tug that get pulled along behind you - adds mass and slows down warp/thrust speed by 50%. Comes with free support that constantly keeps it full (unlimited ammo), but if you get blown up it also takes out anyone else within 5K of your ship.

I would go for that at maybe 25%... 50% is too slow... keep in mind misslers are designed (imo others may disagree) to kite... although it does present problems if you raid a lot when ur sure to die a few times...

Why a tug? I'm more towards having a ammo bin, like in Armored Core 3, attached to my ship.

Sounds cool. I do not think though that this is possible with the current client. She can be a real bugger sometimes.

- Marco

Sounds cool. I do not think though that this is possible with the current client. She can be a real bugger sometimes.

- Marco

How far can this idea go? Er actually, to be more specific, new models, sounds, textures can be added no problem?

How far can this idea go? Er actually, to be more specific, new models, sounds, textures can be added no problem?

More or less it has to do with the network side. I'm no expert, but I learned from the Reactor Optimization skill that nothing new can be added that requires Client -> Server -> Client interaction. Things can be "reused" in a sense, but adding in new packet data is impossible, mainly due to the lack of the client source code. So we can code it, but the client will be like "WTF?" when you tried to add it onto your ship and use it.

- Marco