Question about server/client hanging while gating...

The devs made a change where they use the server to send a magic packet to keep the terminals alive by sending the packet to get the client to respond...

Could this sort of strategy be applied again to prevent the game from hanging during a loading screen?

Thanks,

-Overt.

First of, I am not a dev (sounds like a refrain!   :-)

The problem is that with UDP, there is always a risk where a packet/request from the client was not received by the server.  In this case, the server was not aware that the client was waiting for a response.

I believe the same gotcha applies to terminal hangs too.  Sometimes the /unstuck command would work, but sometimes not.  In addition, when the client is stuck in the galactic map, there is no way a user can issue some sort of an /unstuck command.  Only a well designed client/server protocol/handshake can solve the problem, which is exactly what the new client proxy will provide, I was led to believe.

I hope that the new client proxy - curently in the work - can address this problem altogether.  All we need is for Tienbau to find some free time, according to Zackman!

@Overt:

That would be too easy :P

No, the real problem is the client simply losing the connection (UDP port change) on gating.

But there is a proxy update in the pipeline (although i say that since 2 month..lol) - unfortunatly TB is really RL busy, so we have to wait till he is pushing the change.

There is a major change in the gating mechanism which will hopefully resolve the problem (which btw affects 95+% multiboxers only).

Edit:

Overlapped with VincentTH's posting.