Terran Scouts New Skill Suggestion

Greetings all my name is Sarkan EnB fan from first luanch played on the Orion server.First wanna say Thank You for breathing life back into the greatest game ever..Now down to buisness,I myself have choosen a TS as my main, love the race, LOVE the TS look.I do feel the skills are lacking mainly in the combat perspective.Now the JE's have cloak and recieve bonuses on damage thru that and the PS's have Critical Targeting leaveing the TS's kinda limp in the matter.My idea came to me from reading numerous post about TS's speed and its true they are super fast the Skill Rapid Fire will consist of the TS converting its warp core power to its weapon fire reducing its cooldown time increasing its rate of fire and at higher levels it will benifit all party members within range.I beleave this skill will make the TS i highly suaght after ally in any raid in turn making it a more played class this skill should replace Hacking as Hacking is kinda lame even at the TS highest lvl6.....Hacking should stay souly with the TEs

I do think that Hacking is useless on a Scout should be replaced with something else. I don't think that a skill that is essentially Turbo Weapons is apropriate to an explorer with trader racial traits. I do think that they should have items with Turbo MLs that they can use, and perhaps something comparable to their own version of the Cyberadrenaline Rush as a loot only device. (Cyber rush is JE only device that gives an activated Turbo Weapons buff.)

One thing that the Scout is lacking at this time, is significant class specific items. The JT and PT have the same problem as EA didn't implement them, and didn't design any equipment for them. In another thread about the Scout, Kyp mentioned that there is equipment under development for the Scout (Kenu mentioned the same for the JT.). It's only a matter of time before we start to see equipment for the new classes, and that will further define their roles in a group situation, as well as their ablities as solo toons.

OK...after reading Sark's post and checking the character planner carefully, I understand where he is coming from. The jenpies (beam users) all share the combat cloak aspect which indeed aids them in combat. The progies (projectile users) all share the critical targeting aspect, which once again aids them in combat. Now the Terrans however, only share the aspect of using missiles. There is no other trait that all three share in regard to combat unlike the other two races. That is of course if navigate is suppose to fulfill this function even though I can't see how this helps in regard to combat.

Maybe there could be some type of change in this regard. Nothing over-powered...just something to bring the terrans more in line with the other two races. Other than that, I am inclined to agree that the TS could use some lovin' in terms of items and equipment.

Navigate is a combat skill if you consider that fact that terrans are supposed to be the fastest ships in game and their usual combat tactic is to kite.

That being said I made the suggestion a while back to disable the extra classes until the rest of the game is working as it should be. The extra classes weren't in the game back when it was live and trying to force open a role for them is pointless if it means killing the original classes jobs.
IMO it would be better to disable the extra ones for now and work on getting the normal classes and the rest of the game working properly for release. After that then start looking at what the extra classes are supposed to be doing in the game if anything.
  • Upvote 2

+1 Paul. Totally agree with this assessment. The original classes aren't anywhere near like they were in live. All the devs time and resources seem to be going into trying to develop extra classes while the original classes have been getting piecemeal fixes. Cloak is still a huge issue that hasnt been addressed properly. Group cloak/CC in group is still not functioning, if a JE pulls out of cloak it wipes out all jenquai cloaks. It shouldnt be a fact that creating the new classes means nerfing the original classes. Navigate in Grav Well for one, as it's useless on the JE who used to be able to zip thru grav wells in live no problem. Now its a futile exercise.
I feel you will lose more of your player base messing with the original classes, than not providing a new class. If I was a player from Live coming back to this EMU, I would create a toon I played in Live first. If that toon isn't working and 15 patches later, it's still not working correctly, what expectations would I have that any of the suggestions put forth from the community will be looked at. Edited by Algaron

[i]To me I like the new classes especially the PP, now progens have a reactor builder. As for the new classes not being in live that was EA's decision to be jackholes not putting them in, and thats because they had no intention of continuing the game.[/i]
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Rossdie' timestamp='1335783456' post='57199']
[i]To me I like the new classes especially the PP, now progens have a reactor builder. As for the new classes not being in live that was EA's decision to be jackholes not putting them in, and thats because they had no intention of continuing the game.[/i]
[/quote]

Agreed, not to mention there are players who wanted to play the Scout or Seeker. Just because getting them online and up to speed is difficult, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The devs are bringing back a game that EA killed, why not make the game a little better than the original? They're going to have to balance the classes anyway, and it's makes more sense to balance the Progen Trader, Jenquai Trader, and Terran Explorer along with the original 6 classes. I think it can be done without taking away from the original 6 classes, by implementing new things not seen before for the 3 new classes. The mobs, particularily those intended to be tackled by a group, may need to be a bit tougher, and require those new abilities to fight them effectively.

EA also had working classes for those who wanted to play Original classes. We don't have that yet. They don't have time to fix my favourite class now - why should I be happy if you like your Privateer.Give me a break. If I had a working JD I could care less if they had 21 classes. The game isnt even close to being better than the original. Unless of course if you are progen. Start with a baseline of 6 completely working original classes. Then you have all the time and resources to decide (yes still deciding on how to make these 3 classes) on how to use the limited resources available. As it is now - lets steal this skillset from the JE and give it to this TS. Community input be damned.

Just sayin..

I think that currently the JE is actually a better support toon than the Scout, though there are things that are still broken with the Jenquai. Cloak bugs would not be limited to the JW but would also affect the JE and JT. Getting rid of the JT woudn't fix such issues and is unlikely to speed up fixing them. I have a JW, and I think it's pretty capable, Torrence is L146 (C46, E50, T50) and I don't have problems soloing things over CL50 with him using tactics. My main JE and JT are both L150 and I find them both effective in combat though tactics are necessary as they're not designed for tanking. My mule JE is my only Jenquai toon that hasn't received his final hull upgrade.

There is something missing from live, with respect to gravity wells. L8+ engines would warp through some gravity wells, even if you didn't have Navigate 7. I had an SS7 on my JE in live before the SS8 came out, and even with Navigate 7 sometimes it failed in gravity wells. Right now failure does seem to happen more often than 1 in 2 and maybe that will be addressed in Alpha. I got a L8 SS when I noticed a PE friend with one warping through the gravity well in Sirius, on the way to the place where derfressers spawn, to get one of the ingredients for a mission. Also there was a small Gravity well around DCO, that you could beat with a L5 engine.

Now if you are talking about Null factor 5 giving immunity to gravity wells, I actually agree with you there, in that a L5 skill, which can be maxed in 20 fewer ELs and 11 fewer skill points should not be better against gravity wells than a L7 skill that's designed for travel. I also think that environment shield should work against gravity shear, like it did in Live. (There was shear in BBW but it took shields instead of hull). I do think that if we want to differientate E-shield from Null Factor, there should probably be some new environmental effects that weren't around in live. Most of the new effects should be blockable by both, but there should be some where you need to have a JE and others where you need to have a Scout.

I would not have a problem with gravity well immunity being granted to the Scout by a L7 skill when said skill is maxed.

Also in Live there was an environmental effect near the star in Glory's Orbit that hasn't been implemented yet. I think it sapped shields, but it was a magnetic effect. JE's e-shield protected you from it. In VT the effect of Aragoth Major were shields only around Aragoth Station, and the first few navs or so down the Path of Fire or towards Remote Minefield, but after a certain distance down those paths, the energy would penetrate your reactor and drain it as well without protection.

Since we're still pre-alpha, the game is still a work in progress. It's also a volunteer project, the devs work on the game in their spare time, so it will take some time before the game is fully ready. I think when it's finally ready for full release (emulator live if you want to call it that), it will be better than what EA released.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Terrel bro ive noticed on other post that have to do about any Jenquai class your gungho at the ideas but when it comes to a different race you lock the breaks up....i know your old school and your opinion is highly valued to some but you need to more open minded ....you suggestions was for devices ok but even still the Progen and Jenquai have the devices and the skills ..dont a race short because you fav one more then the other : P

[quote name='Discovery' timestamp='1336633349' post='57610']
Terrell bro ive noticed on other post that have to do about any Jenquai class your gungho at the ideas but when it comes to a different race you lock the breaks up....i know your old school and your opinion is highly valued to some but you need to more open minded ....you suggestions was for devices ok but even still the Progen and Jenquai have the devices and the skills ..dont a race short because you fav one more then the other : P
[/quote]

That depends on what you ask for on the Scout. If you are asking for the Scout to be able to keep up with the PE in combat I'd disagree, as the PE is the fighting explorer, and should be the best explorer at combat. The Scout is the trading explorer (Negotiate 5, no racial restrictions on building, & bigger cargo hold) and the JE is the pure explorer. I'd also oppose giving the Scout, or any Terran, Build Reactors (racial weakness). If the Scout, or any other Terran, could build reactors, the PT and JT become obsolete as builders, as they have no builds that cannot be done better by a Terran.

I do think that the Scout needs improvement, but how said improvement affects the other classes has to be taken into account (learned this arguing for new JT abilities). I think the way to go is with new device effects, a really good L135 skill that helps in support (but doesn't increase firepower), and changing Hacking for a new skill. (the nature of the replacement skill determines whether or not I support it)