Error: Another Skill Is Active

I believe in Live, using a skill would override some skills while other skills could be used concurrently. Take Cloak for example. Back in the day, a JD could be cloaked and the be able to use Summon (breaking the cloak) or Fold Space or cast PSI Shield, without having to first go through the process of first having to cancel the skill, then activating another skill. Each active skill could be cast regardless of whether or not another skill was already in place. It was also easy enough to cancel the activation of one skill, say summoning by simply applying another skill like Fold Space in its place.

This also avoided accidently double tapping a skill and cancelling it prematurely. Many times because of a crappy keyboard or faulty mouse I have double tapped Cloak only to find out I am not really cloaking but am still nekked, because I inadvertently hit the skill twice. Hitting Cloak for example once twice or thrice didn't matter at all as the skill would complete the cycle based on the first activation of the skill. Once fully activated, hitting cloak again would deactivate or using another skill like Fold Space would deactivate Cloak and start the FS cycle.

Fold Space, Summon, Render Energy could be cancelled by hitting the skill again or starting the cycle of another skill. Cloak, PSI and Repair were the exception as it had to complete the cycle before being able to use another skill or cloak again to deactivate. Repair could be used while cloaked as well. I would suggest that any skill that requires a minimum cycle time like cloak or PSI should only be cancelled by using another skill. Device activation should be independant of activation skills as it is now.

It would be real awesome if we could get rid of "Another skill is active" thing. It really takes away from the enjoyability of the class I find, and isnt that the reason we all play this game? To have fun? Edited by Algaron

Yeah, the only exception to that for a JE was Compulsory Contemplation, but that skill wasn't all that and trying to run that and cloak at the same time would kill your reactor.

Yes I have found that while flying thru space all cloaked up on my JE, I will see an ore field which I wish to mine. So i pull up to a roid and start to mine when wouldn't you know - I get a message saying "Cannot mine while hidden". :huh: Wouldn't it be great if I could just start mining and my ship would uncloak all by itself and actually start mining without the error message? Not really sure what the purpose of the not allowing the ship to uncloak automatically? Is it just down to the fact it's unfinished code and this was the easiest way to handle it?

[quote name='Algaron' timestamp='1334936173' post='56942']
Yes I have found that while flying thru space all cloaked up on my JE, I will see an ore field which I wish to mine. So i pull up to a roid and start to mine when wouldn't you know - I get a message saying "Cannot mine while hidden". :huh: Wouldn't it be great if I could just start mining and my ship would uncloak all by itself and actually start mining without the error message? Not really sure what the purpose of the not allowing the ship to uncloak automatically? Is it just down to the fact it's unfinished code and this was the easiest way to handle it?
[/quote]
sort of, there was a point as they added skills to classes (like JS and TS) and fixed some skills that were broke, that they opened skills so they could be serial enacted, some skilsl were never meant to be active at the same time and it was considered game breaking (PP shield inversion and shield recharge being usable at same time was one of these examples, or TT hullpatch and shield recharge etc.) to have it so, so they withdrew the ability to do so with that " another skill active can't do what you want" message added while they sort out and tweek what skills are usable in series, at same time or exclusively.

So yes it was the easiest way to handle it, they are still sorting things out and will I'm quite confident, eventually take that prompt away for the JE and make it not key message and let you mine out of cloak etc.

BTW I loved that PP ability to invert and charge at same time while it lasted :), was real great tool farm the glenn chavez for faction without wasting ammo. Edited by Mattsacre