Kudos!

My sincerest thank yous to everyone involved for resurrecting my most favorite game. Since sunset I've been floundering trying to find a suitable substitute. I've tried a host of games since then but none have come close to filling the void.

Thank you devs: I've played for a couple of days now and I'm just blown away! I've been a software engineer for more than 30 years now so I can truly appreciate what you have accomplished.

Thank you community: Thank you for your good memories about how things worked in live and taking the time and effort to provide it. Thank you for your financial donations. Above of all thank you for continuing to be the kindest, most helpful community I've ever had the pleasure of.

If there's anything I can do for you or the game please don't hesitate to ask.

Ginra, JD
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1315158068' post='45669']
What are your specialties in software? :)
[/quote]
Architect, implement and debug C/C++, database (MS SQL/MySql), PHP and some Javascript. Also run a couple of websites using IPS software.

I don't suppose you know any C# do you? or want to learn it? There's a project we got for a tool that will revolutionize the game mission system ... If you know C++ then learning C# will probably be a breeze, if you're starting a tool from scratch (well you can cut&paste all the GUI and database interface stuff we already have) it's pretty easy.

I'm interested.

I haven't created a C# app but I've debugged a few at work. I've been wanting to learn more but I generally learn best by writing something interesting and so far I haven't needed anything.

A few questions:
[list=1]
[*]why C#?
[*]is there a design document for this tool?
[*]is this tool replacing an existing tool or tools or manual procedure?
[*]what IDE should be used (e.g. VS 2010)?
[*]anything else I should know?
[*]anything else you want to know about me?
[/list]

[quote name='Chuckf' timestamp='1315223368' post='45713']
I'm interested.

I haven't created a C# app but I've debugged a few at work. I've been wanting to learn more but I generally learn best by writing something interesting and so far I haven't needed anything.

A few questions:
[list=1][*]why C#?[*]is there a design document for this tool?[*]is this tool replacing an existing tool or tools or manual procedure?[*]what IDE should be used (e.g. VS 2010)?[*]anything else I should know?[*]anything else you want to know about me?[/list]
[/quote]

1) C# is our standard, most of our tools are WinForms made via this w/ .NET (There's a couple in old source from other languages but for the main part they are orphaned & unused)

2) More like "some design cliffnotes and an existing tool"
3) existing tool.
4) VS2010 is what we prefer.
5) Nothing I could think of right off, if you're interested we can probably arrange to show you what the current one does.
6) If you're willing to do the work involved in making things and want to help that's generally good enough for us.

Yeah, done some projects in c# and its mainly reading the docs to see what the flavour of the language is (like map vs digest or something like that). It usually takes like a week to get up to a decent coding speed and like a month to know all ins and outs. Done some c++ to but thats a long long time ago (some video and 3d integration type of thing.

Most time isusually spend in learning the architectual concepts of the excisting software anyway eg usage of object relational mappings, aspects and transaction concurrency. The language its made in doesnt matter that much any more, the oo one's are basicly the same.