Single Player

First thing i'd like to say is Thank You to everyone involved in in getting this game up and running! Awesome Job! I was just wondering if theres a way to play EnB on my laptop in a "single player" mode? I travel alot for work and cant always get online , so being able to play it offline would be awesome . If this can be done , could someone post how to do it ? and what i need to do it ?

Thank everyone

The only way to do this would be to set up the multiplayer server on your local laptop.

Not something for the feint hearted..

I dont think the instruxcions have been reposted, and the current public release of the database is not compatible with the latest SVN release of the server.

I hope this makes sense...

lol i figured out how to make server run but not get my client to connect to it took about 3 hrs since I have no college edu and no experience with mysql just takes some patience and research.For some reason everyone assumes when they make readme's you allready know this this or this so it takes 15 webpages a headache and a pint of 151 later to figure it out =)

dragorrin

I would like to do the same!

I love this game, but I am not really the best grouper - I try to do a bit of work at the same time as playing (got to do something on the long Warp!). The only thing I would really miss is chatting to others, but the ability to play whenever I want would be good.

While it would suck too much development time to concurrently work on single and mutiplayer issues, it would be cool to have an old client & single-player server available so that E&B can be shown *WHEREVER*! Want to interest a co-worker or underling in E&B but you don't have internet access at work? Bring this! An old client (with compatable character generator) & single-player server would be really cool tools to actually SHOW someone what it looks like... and let them know that the project is ongoing & improving!

Having an archive section in the download area would rock. This way we could play E&B while the servers are down [or a character rollback is in progress] or whatever! :D

Is there any guides on how to build this?... or just get me moving along the right path?

I downloaded via SVN and found my old copy of Visual Studio 6 - I installed and tried to build a project file I found but just came up with errors.

... I can write code myself, save and re open projects, but I have NEVER had luck working from other peoples projects, I just don't know what to do, what to set etc... drives me mad!

Not blaming the devs or anything - I know it is only a stress test and not final (I am guessing that characters will be wiped before final ), but I lost about 20 levels with the rollback and exploring every object in a number of systems - Basically, I love this game and played non stop! I really do not want to do that again if I can help it and would love to just play locally, whenever I want.

As I previously said, I don't group the only thing I will be missing will be the chat (which I do like) however, I can always use the forum!

The server should compile pretty straightforward under Visual Studio 2008 (free Express Edition works too).

Just open Net7\net7.vcproj

I don't think compatibility with VC6 is still there, so the net7.dsw is old junk no one removed from svn :( unless you want to make it compile on VC6 again, hehe...

But even then you cannot use it unless a dev posts an updated mysql database build script. The currently available database dumps are missing fields and don't work with SVN or most of the tools. You can however check out an old server build and the old sql dump might work. Unless older SVN entries were lost in the recent server crash.

Cheers,

Joe

The server should compile pretty straightforward under Visual Studio 2008 (free Express Edition works too).

Just open Net7\net7.vcproj

I don't think compatibility with VC6 is still there, so the net7.dsw is old junk no one removed from svn :mellow: unless you want to make it compile on VC6 again, hehe...

But even then you cannot use it unless a dev posts an updated mysql database build script. The currently available database dumps are missing fields and don't work with SVN or most of the tools. You can however check out an old server build and the old sql dump might work. Unless older SVN entries were lost in the recent server crash.

Cheers,

Joe

I see all the .cs files however, I have no idea how I got it into my head, but I just really assumed that this was a Visual Studio 6 project - I will install and try to build now!

Thanks

Right - it was in one of the readme files about Visual Studio 6 which is why I thought it needed it (Thought I was going mad...).

Anyway, I tried opening and building it with VS6, and it just failed with random errors - as I said, I have never been able to get other peoples projects working! No idea what I do wrong.... I built it with Visual Studio 2008 and it built straight away.

However, I just had no idea what to do after that!

I ran the exe file that was generated (and tried the one that was already there in the bin directory of SVN) but the client failed to connect and I read a error in the server saying "Someone is trying to login using version 0.0 of sockettest" or similar.

Oh well B) I guess no single player for a while!... Unless someone knows how to fix this?

As I tried to tell you: The server won't do anything without the proper MySQL database (which we don't have at the moment). So basically you're stuck now :)

I understand that - I just saw on another thread somewhere, someone saying about building single player and coming up against MYSql errors / tables not found etc. I guessed from that and you that I would not be able to play... but I wanted to at least get as far as the error or try to understand the whole emulator/process a bit more... Looks like I failed at both!

Actually you succeeded pretty far. Just don't use the .exe from SVN it's WAY old and won't work anyway.

The server you built should run as soon as you import the database (net7) and the user database (net7-user) (here: http://net-7.org/database/ ) and you get the latest db-scheme fixes from a DEV... So you're almost there :)

Then you only need to put your settings into Net7Config.cfg like that:

internal_ip=<server-ip>
domain=local.net-7.org
mysql_user=<username>
mysql_pass=<pass>
mysql_host=localhost:3306
mysql_db=net7
galaxy_name=private_sunrise_whatever

Sorry, can't help you with the DB fixes, I don't have a current version myself.