.NET Framework 2.0 SP1?

Ok, first I wanna say how glad I am to have found this site last night. EnB was my first MMO and I played it nearly a year before it's shutdown. Took me this long to hear about you guys. Unfortunately, my luck and all, there are problems. EnB installs fine, patches fine, Net7 installs fine, but won't run. At first it was giving me an error message which I currently cannot recall the exact words of, and cannot replicate because I am getting a different error. It went something along the lines of unable to initialize properly or something was misconfigured and suggested a new install of Net7 would fix the problem. Needless to say it was the first thing I did, but 2 fresh installs later and the same problem.

I did look through the forums here and not wanting to come forward with a problem only to essentially get told rtfm, I figured what the problem sounded like was a .NET Framework upgrade was needed. Unfortunately, I'm running XP SP 1. The reason I'm not higher is whenever I try to install SP2 or SP3(which I tried last night at the suggestion of a very helpful individual on IRC who's name I forget) it all installs correctly, restarts, and after the stage where you see the Windows XP logo with the progress bar at the bottom it flashes briefly to a blue screen with some text on it then immediately restarts before I can read any of it. Restarting with last known configurations doesn't solve the problem, and startup under Safe Mode does show the SP did install, or least it's claiming to have installed correctly. Not everything is kosher though because .NET Framework won't install correctly even with the upgraded Service Pack in Safe Mode, albeit it gives me a different error message then before. (Disregard that last sentence if .NET Framework cannot be installed in Safe Mode. That might be the problem there, I don't know enough to tell the difference.)

So I looked for SP1 installs of .NET Framework, at the very least 2.0 because that same helpful person in the IRC said if he remembered right that I only needed up to 2.0. I figure that's a good goal to go after, the less of an installation jump the better. Less shock to my poor crummy computer. Unfortunately despite seeing ".NET Framework 2.0 SP1" on Microsoft's site for downloads, those programs say I need SP2 to install when I'm actually in the installation process. I assume it means the actual installation program was made that way for Microsoft to try to get everyone off of SP1.

As I said before I'm getting a new install error (This is after I made a clean install of SP1, then a clean install of SP3, then an uninstall of SP3 back to SP1 due to startup crashes) which reads "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application." So before you say it, yes, I already know that .NET Framework is the problem here. But I can't really see a way to fix it.

My appologies for the wall of text. But does anyone know of a way to truly, truly upgrade to .NET Framework 2.0 without SP2+? Or maybe they might be familier with what exactly is causing the crashes on startup when I upgrade to SP2 or SP3. I do not have the Install/Boot CD for XP by the way. I am attempting to get it from a friend. If the absolute worst case scenario shows it's head, I will probably do a total wipe followed by a fresh install of the OS. I'm not sure what else to do. But in my opinion if the end goal is EnB, it's worth it.

Edit:I think the person who helped me the previous night was Slayerman. If so, Kudos to him. And a preemptive thank you to whoever responds to this post. I can't help but worry I've overlooked something dreadfully easy and am wasting people's time with this tech support problem.

Edited by Eviticus

Just wild-azz guessing here but it's possible there's a driver currently installed on your system that you need that isn't being found in the SP2 install - or, that a driver IN the SP2 install isn't compatible with your hardware.

I would suggest, to get the cleanest possible install, to hook up with that friend that can get you the XP disc AND also download nLite. Go through your system and identify all of the hardware bits you have that typically might have vendor-supplied drivers (vidcard, at least) and download the latest drivers for *that* hardware. Then follow the directions to use nLite to build yourself a slipstreamed XP install disc that will now be complete with SP3 AND all of your drivers (and, optionally, input all of your info in advance to avoid all that prompting).

Even without all the vendor-specific drivers integrated there's a good chance of success just by slipstreaming XP + SP3 as (I'm guessing your install is old) most drivers you need *should* be packaged into SP3 (maybe not the bestest/latest but probably good enough).

Again, just guessing out loud here in case it helps. Really, though, anytime somebody is going to re-install Windows it really pays to slipstream the latest fixpack into your install - much better than having to do all those subsequent re-installs after the fact.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you using? I'm wondering because it doesn't bode well that you can't successfully update your OS to SP2/SP3. Technically, you can play without the .NET Framework, but you can't update, which will make it difficult since you'll need an updated copy whenever something gets changed.

nLite says on their site "It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run...". Does that mean now, or later when I'm re-installing everything? Because if it needs it now I'm not so sure that's going to work. =/

Oh, wow, I'm sorry - I've been using it for so long I just took it for granted and didn't look to see that one of the pre-req's would be the very item you are having troubles with. There's still the standard MS slipstream process which isn't nearly as easy as nLite - and I don't know if MS's requires .Net or not.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you using? I'm wondering because it doesn't bode well that you can't successfully update your OS to SP2/SP3. Technically, you can play without the .NET Framework, but you can't update, which will make it difficult since you'll need an updated copy whenever something gets changed.

In short I am an idiot. I'm frankensteining two computers together. I wanted to swap out one part of a computer into another, but was unable to reach the screws to get it out. So I have two towers next to eachother open on the sides with the open sides facing eachother. I did my best to get the correct drivers for the new things I was using, but I don't know if I did that correctly.

However, to answer your question, I'm not 100% positive. I could give you some of the information, but I don't want to leave out something important. Do you want me to post the full DxDiag.txt file of it all?

Wow, there's something I've never seen, lol. Sure, go ahead and post the DxDiag results. Do you know if you have any really old hardware that you'd think might cause problems with newer software?

Wow, there's something I've never seen, lol. Sure, go ahead and post the DxDiag results. Do you know if you have any really old hardware that you'd think might cause problems with newer software?

No clue. And the merging of the Two Towers was done because I needed the hard drive from one and the video card of the other. Couldn't get either out due to ridiculous construction of the tower's frames. Not sure in total what I'm using from which. But it does function! :)

DxDiag in attached file.

DxDiag.txt

DxDiag.txt

Ok, I'm no computer expert, but that configuration is a mess. 4 hard drives with 2 different file systems , Ouch !

Also your usb drivers are way out of date , not to mention the modem is most likely hogging memory along with IRQ space. Just my 2 cents , I'm sure there are many others that can come up with a solution to your problem

Ok, I'm no computer expert, but that configuration is a mess. 4 hard drives with 2 different file systems , Ouch !

Also your usb drivers are way out of date , not to mention the modem is most likely hogging memory along with IRQ space. Just my 2 cents , I'm sure there are many others that can come up with a solution to your problem

C and E are storage drives and what I actually run the monstrosity off of. D and F are recovery backup somethings. >.> Never really touched them.

Just do it like this:

Get a copy from your installed XP. Copy all from XP CD to HD and install SP2, or better SP3, into that copy on HD.

After that you burn the new XP back on CD.

Then you can install a fresh XP(or install over the previous one) with SP2 or SP3 already included.

How you do that exactly to install SP2(3) to HD you can look for example ->HERE<-

Easy and work better than separately installs.

greets

Hexergirl