game hangs when talking to npc's

so i can log in just fine as a PP (or tt, havent tried other characters), but as soon as i try to talk to an npc or chat, the game just hangs there as if there was a big lag spike. the net7 dos window doesn't show anything suspicious.

same problem with or without packet optimization, client detours. currently using win xp in vmware.

help would be much appreciated

no ideas? this sucks :P

Sorry, never run it in VM Ware, could be anything really. It suggests that communication is failing between your client and the server. Nothing much more I could draw on it than that without error messages.

Sorry, never run it in VM Ware, could be anything really. It suggests that communication is failing between your client and the server. Nothing much more I could draw on it than that without error messages.

thanks for replying :P

yeah there is no error message which is strange, so i've been looking into network problems. weird it all works fine until i actually start playing the game :) is there a debugging/logging tool i can enable?

thanks for replying :P

yeah there is no error message which is strange, so i've been looking into network problems. weird it all works fine until i actually start playing the game :) is there a debugging/logging tool i can enable?

What is your VM guest's network setting? NAT or bridged connection? Also what is the host's network connection? Wireless or wired and how many different networks do you have on that machine?

so i can log in just fine as a PP (or tt, havent tried other characters), but as soon as i try to talk to an npc or chat, the game just hangs there as if there was a big lag spike. the net7 dos window doesn't show anything suspicious.

same problem with or without packet optimization, client detours. currently using win xp in vmware.

help would be much appreciated

Q1) How long do you wait before you give up? I used to have this experience and *thought* it was hanging, but it was just slow to respond (*very* long time to respond).

Q2) Do you have the "packetopt" option enabled? Once this became available and I enabled it my problem with this went away.

Not running VM, just plain old Win XP Pro SP3 native on two different machines.

You can use /endtalk if it sticks. I don't use vmware and I have this problem very frequently (I'd say 75% of the time). It hangs anywhere from 15-60 seconds unless I /endtalk. If I do use the /endtalk command it will chat almost instantly the next time though. I use the default options on normal net7 Multi-player. I have no idea what the packet optimization is for, so I haven't been using it.

If you have this problem, you should try enabling or disabling packet optimization. The hang is the result of the large amount of data that needs to be tranferred to the client, though this effect should only be significant when you are loading the merchandise data when trading with a vendor. Packet opt changes the maximum size of each packet sent, which normally will speed up the process, though it may end up having negative effects if your ISP uses a low MTU, which is the maximum size each packet it allowed to have as it travels over your internet connection.

What is your VM guest's network setting? NAT or bridged connection? Also what is the host's network connection? Wireless or wired and how many different networks do you have on that machine?

I am using a NAT connection on the vm guest and the host has a wired connection. the wired connection is to my apartment complex's network (i believe) before being routed through the isp.

like i said in the topic post, i've tried both packet optimization on and off with no effect. =(

The problem seems to occur when a larger data block is being requested. I would start by the process of elimination. Do you have another laptop/pc ect you cant try to run on the same data connection? Get VM out of the picture. Just a thought.