Opinions are like...

I saw this on another forum and I thought it might be interesting to share here...

Yeah, yeah, everyone wants the *RIGHT* to their opinion, but few want to take the responsibility to form their opinions rationally/responsibly.

Thoughts? :)

Not a bad quote, it is pretty accurate I think. MMOs, and anything online in general, suffer from the "cool kids" problem. Someone makes a witty comment (WoW sux! Tebow sux! etc) and people think its cool and follow suit wanting to fit in. I've never understood that mentality and probably never will, when it comes to opinions there is no right or wrong. I'm the same way in the real world that I am in any game I play. If I feel the need I will speak my mind and be blunt about it, sugar coating is for cookies. If someone asks what *I* think, I will tell them what I think and not what I believe they want to hear. It doesn't sit well with a lot of people, I tend to piss people off a lot both in game and in real life. But people also know if they want the truth they can ask me and get it.

So again I have to agree that quote is spot on. You could even go one step further and add in if your opinion isn't the same as mine you suck, are dumb, lick windows and such. Since the two comments are usually in the same threads heh.

• Upvote 1

Actually I think this part....

"So again I have to agree that quote is spot on. You could even go one step further and add in if your opinion isn't the same as mine you suck, are dumb, lick windows and such. Since the two comments are usually in the same threads heh."

that you posted is what no one ever wants to admit to but always thinks... Maybe online they are more likely to say it but elsewhere people don't say it but think it and act accordingly.

I will admit I have my opinions and act according to those... but then one of my opinions is that everyone has a right to have their own opinion and make their own choices. I think we lose a lot as a group of people and as individuals when we do not appreciate the variety of choices and paths in life. If we take the time to get to know someone that has taken a different path then we can appreciate more in life because we appreciate their viewpoint. I may never agree with a particular viewpoint/opinion/life choice and may never choose it for myself, but I can appreciate and perhaps gain a bit of understanding from someone who has.

When we start only accepting those who have the same opinions as we do, then we have narrowed life down from the grand wonderous thing it can be to a very narrow and slippery path. Problem is we never admit what we are doing and by the time it becomes obvious we have blinders on that prevent us from seeing anything else but that narrow slippery path we are about to slide down.

Rasorow

• Upvote 2

I will admit I have my opinions and act according to those... but then one of my opinions is that everyone has a right to have their own opinion and make their own choices. I think we lose a lot as a group of people and as individuals when we do not appreciate the variety of choices and paths in life. If we take the time to get to know someone that has taken a different path then we can appreciate more in life because we appreciate their viewpoint. I may never agree with a particular viewpoint/opinion/life choice and may never choose it for myself, but I can appreciate and perhaps gain a bit of understanding from someone who has.

When we start only accepting those who have the same opinions as we do, then we have narrowed life down from the grand wonderous thing it can be to a very narrow and slippery path. Problem is we never admit what we are doing and by the time it becomes obvious we have blinders on that prevent us from seeing anything else but that narrow slippery path we are about to slide down.

Rasorow

/signed imho :)

So you're saying that there's no such thing as a wrong opinion?

Most people claim that their opinions are based on facts. If their facts are demonstrably wrong, are their opinions still valid?

well imo I believe that more facts are based on opinion (eg politics), than opinions based on facts... however in the end you can believe what you want, so long as I dont have to believe it too...

So you're saying that there's no such thing as a wrong opinion?

Most people claim that their opinions are based on facts. If their facts are demonstrably wrong, are their opinions still valid?

I've noticed most people base the facts on their opinion. They will have an opinion on some topic, and use parts of that topic to support their opinion. Its very common, and easily done, to find an article on the web related to your opinion and quote parts of it to make your arugments.

Typically opinions are based on one's personal view of right and wrong. Right and wrong is a matter of how you view things.

In order for a statement to be a fact, it must be based upon some kind of objective, observable evidence or other data:

"Grass is green".

"The sun is between 92 and 94 million miles from the earth".

"Aerobic organisms require oxygen to survive".

These are facts.

Opinions on the other hand, are subjective, and are a person's interpretations and judgments concerning those facts. These judgments (opinions) are often coloured by that person's perceptions and experience.

"Mowing the lawn sucks".

"It's too hot out".

"Politicians should not be allotted too much oxygen".

hmm.. It seems to me that the problem is that most of our facts are assumptions - after all, grass is not green per-sé. I say it's a fact that grass is brown.

And even then, that's a conclusion derived from my own perception. A colourblind person may not see it as either. Who's to say he's right, I'm right, or you are right?

Grass (specifically a number of types of grass) is(are) only green as viewed by regular human eyes, in the daylight of our (yellow) sun.

So, I'd reason that a lot of 'facts' are only assumptions, based on the way we perceive our surroundings. We cannot normally see UV light, but we've tested that falcons can - those kind of limits to our perception indicate that you can never really prove anything, and I tehrefor claim that the term 'fact' is in most cases used inaccurately to describe an assumption.

Carry on..:lol:)

after all, grass is not green per-sé. I say it's a fact that grass is brown.

Off-topic but this reminds me of a joke:

A Teacher was trying to teach her young students the meaning of the word DEFINATELY. After giving some examples she asked the class to give her examples in return to make sure they understood the word.

Little Susie stood up and said, "the grass is definately green". Her teacher commented that when grass has died it turns brown, but she sees the point Susie was making.

Little Amber stood up and said, "the sky is definately blue". Her teacher commented that the sky can be cloudly and appears grey then, but she sees the point Amber was making.

Little Johnny stood up and said, "teacher, do farts have lumps in them?". The teacher replied "Johnny that is very inappropiate for you to ask in class, but to answer your question no farts do not have lumps in them". Johnny said "Then teacher, I DEFINATELY shit myself!"

Off-topic but this reminds me of a joke:

A Teacher was trying to teach her young students the meaning of the word DEFINATELY. After giving some examples she asked the class to give her examples in return to make sure they understood the word.

Little Susie stood up and said, "the grass is definately green". Her teacher commented that when grass has died it turns brown, but she sees the point Susie was making.

Little Amber stood up and said, "the sky is definately blue". Her teacher commented that the sky can be cloudly and appears grey then, but she sees the point Amber was making.

Little Johnny stood up and said, "teacher, do farts have lumps in them?". The teacher replied "Johnny that is very inappropiate for you to ask in class, but to answer your question no farts do not have lumps in them". Johnny said "Then teacher, I DEFINATELY shit myself!"

And then Little Jarod stood up and said "Teacher, you definitely don't know how to spell!". :lol:

j/k