[off topic] Gfx card recommendation

We seriously need an off topic section.

Anyway, question for anyone who's up-to-date on recent and semi-dated computer hardware.

I just fried an integrated graphics card on one of my rigs today, and wondering what will give me the best bang for under 50 bucks.

currently looking at this:

8600gts

so if someone has a better option for me or thinks this is good, would appreciate the comments.

~Irrelevant

Haven't ran the 8600 series myself, but I used to run 8800gts 320 (x2 in SLi) and ran everything up to (and including) Aion without any problems. So a single 8600gts should handle EnB without any problem. If you plan to play newer games, I'd advise going a little higher if you can though.

I used to run that card... only complaint i had was after awhile the fan got real noisey... but ran good... and if your on a budget what more can u ask for... if your main game is enb, then hell... the vid card on the iphone 3g is all you really need B)

I can certainly understand being on a budget, especially when you NEED something in an emergency situation such as yours so I won't say "spend more to get the latest and greatest."

I just did a search at newegg.com and there are many options for you under $50 up to a 9500 or an x4650 with up to 1gb ram, they won't hold up to the newest games at high settings but they are up to the challenge for the average users.

The Zotac and Sparkle brands have good reviews and in the past I have read good professional reviews of them but I have mostly used Powercolor, they have excellent customer support, I sent in a 4870 that a fried by leaving the skylight open and it rained onto my PC, they sent me back a 4890 no questions asked.

Last comment is that I agree we need an off topic section, almost made that suggestion last night lol.

good luck mate.

I always ran 2 x 8800 GTX's in SLI. They were the bomb.

However one died on me.

I recently bought one cheaper 9800 GTX and she handles pretty much every game I throw at her at max settings on her own.

Mass effect 2, Bioshock 2, Oblivion you name it, all look extremely good. (all in 1920 * 1200)

For just 135 bucks it's pretty cheap bang for the buck B)

The Zotac and Sparkle brands have good reviews and in the past I have read good professional reviews of them but I have mostly used Powercolor, they have excellent customer support, I sent in a 4870 that a fried by leaving the skylight open and it rained onto my PC, they sent me back a 4890 no questions asked.

I had a sparkle 9500? I am gonna say... wait brb... ahh ok got it... I was using it to keep my door open... it's a little smudged off from rubbing against the floor but I think it says 9400gt... jk ;) but seriously... I do own a sparkle B) I read the sparkle reviews and when I was in a pinch to get a quick card grabbed it... it suxed to all hell... although it did run the hell outta MS Word...

Thanks for all the input. The key for me is that I want spend at most 50-55 USD on this. I was just simply going to get a replacement integrated card, but I realized that much better could be had by spending $20 extra, so why not. But that will be my limit for now. Will definitely check out the 9500 and x4650

Edit:

Ok, here's where I need the help. It seems like the 9500 and x4650 are essentially non-gaming cards, but more memory and more recent tech.. but the 8600 gts is a dated mid-level gaming card.

SO can anyone say one way or another whats a better buy over all for someone who'd like to play titles a few years dated (don't need to play crysis or bioshock, but should be decent HL2EP2 & portal, or FEAR, or Tiberium wars, SoaSE (EnB playability is a non-issue, LOL) ) and be decent with multimedia as-well.

Edited by irrelevant

Thanks for all the input. The key for me is that I want spend at most 50-55 USD on this. I was just simply going to get a replacement integrated card, but I realized that much better could be had by spending $20 extra, so why not. But that will be my limit for now. Will definitely check out the 9500 and x4650

Edit:

Ok, here's where I need the help. It seems like the 9500 and x4650 are essentially non-gaming cards, but more memory and more recent tech.. but the 8600 gts is a dated mid-level gaming card.

SO can anyone say one way or another whats a better buy over all for someone who'd like to play titles a few years dated (don't need to play crysis or bioshock, but should be decent HL2EP2 & portal, or FEAR, or Tiberium wars, SoaSE (EnB playability is a non-issue, LOL) ) and be decent with multimedia as-well.

Actually, the 8600GTS will probably serve you well, if a bit hot. I ran one thru SWG, LOTRO beta, TR (hey, we warned them), and a few others. SOme of them will even overclock decently if you can get enough cool air into the case. It isn't near the top of the heap or the bottom of the barrel. Will slow framerate a tad with high graphic environments, but is overkill for ENB. Good luck with your selections... and you might like to check Newegg if you don't shop there already.