Question about advertising

I was thinking about posting some information about the emulator (once I got their permission) on a community forum/site that I belong to, but I think I recall someone saying maybe we shouldn't do that sort of thing. It would really just be a forum post, and I'm just a regular member.

I'd like to know the official emulator team's response to this sort of thing. I know this is sort of a gray area due to the legality of the project. If you think this would be, or could be a negative thing, I wouldn't do it. The site/forum in question would be www.guru3d.com , in their games forum. Other than that, it's a great, international community of PC hardware and gaming connoisseurs, and I know there'd at least be a few people that would love to know of such a project.

Also, I'm sure other people would like to know the official response for spreading the word (if there hasn't been a response yet).

Personally E&A is a major company, they'd be dumb not to see this Emu. I'm pretty sure they don't really care. I mean if I was in a company that made plenty of money and looking towards future of graphics + gameplay. Why would I look at a small community of a canceled game that my company doesn't earn money off of?

Answer: I believe in the CoC is you ask Net-7 Employee for permission. I'll edit in a sec if I can find the rule.

Edit: No rule against it. If you want to play safe, ask a Dev/GM etc.

Actually, I'm surprised EA hasn't said anything, if they know about it. They strike me as being pretty petty... really just the feeling I get.

Either they're gathering some crazy cease and desist evidence to blitzkrieg us out of existence, or they've weighed the positives against the negatives and just decided to let it slide. We're a pretty vocal minority and they neither gain nor lose money by letting what is all but abandonware continue to be enjoyed by those that were happy to pay for it when they offered it to them.

As they've said, so long as we don't flaunt it or aim to profit from their intellectual property they might just aim to look the other way.

It doesn’t really fall under the category of abandon-ware, at least not legally as they still fully own the rights to it and haven’t released the license for anyone to do with as they wish. The only real problem is the client and art assets, but without EA running a server to connect to, this becomes no more than a mod endeavor just like with any game.

If this were a project that was cutting into EA subscription profits, well then there could be a problem and with the FBI involved (as has happened before). But in this case, I really don’t see any gray area as long as no one gets into direct subscription billing by which EA could possibly pursue. That excluding donations or maybe even ad banners etc. (indirect)

They won’t ever say it’s ok, and I highly doubt they will give anyone grief for running a server. As far as posting links in other forums, I think it depends on those forums and if they allow links to EMU’s, even though this is a special case in comparison to the ones that draw profits form live server subscriptions. Another online game went through this before, where the company decided to shut down their subscription servers, but the community decided to make an EMU which is for Continuum. They have come a long way from the original, there is nothing left of the original game now. Fun game if you are not anti-pvp heh