Problem with net7 launcher

I am about to give up i keep getting this error Following errors occured while checking for updates:

Error while checking updates for net7 Details: unable to connect to the remote server
and the same error for the client and noidea how to take a screen shot

[quote name='falcon74' timestamp='1304675289' post='40285']
I am about to give up i keep getting this error Following errors occured while checking for updates:

Error while checking updates for net7 Details: unable to connect to the remote server
and the same error for the client and noidea how to take a screen shot
[/quote]

Usually indicates a program you're using is not allowing communications to our patch server address (patch.net-7.org). I would try deactivating all but essential Microsoft services on Windows and try again to see if you still get the same message.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304679742' post='40289']
Usually indicates a program you're using is not allowing communications to our patch server address (patch.net-7.org). I would try deactivating all but essential Microsoft services on Windows and try again to see if you still get the same message.
[/quote]

i get the same message

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304710806' post='40303']
Can you put up a screenshot of what you get when you send a ping request to patch.net-7.org?
[/quote]

i have no idea how to take a screen shot other wise i would put up a screen shot

The Mystic Art of Screenshots, revealed:[url="http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows"]http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows[/url]

;)

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304711214' post='40306']
The Mystic Art of Screenshots, revealed:[url="http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows"]http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows[/url]

;)
[/quote]
this is the screenshot when i ping patch.net7.org

i also included a screen shot of the start error of net 7 launcher Edited by falcon74

Archaic Launcher, I'd bet that's the issue.

[attachment=908:LaunchNet7.zip]

Unzip this and install the .exe by copying over the identically named .exe in our folder where the launcher shortcut points to.
Generally [b]C:\Program Files\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe[/b] but it depends on how you installed everything.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304727429' post='40318']
Archaic Launcher, I'd bet that's the issue.

[attachment=908:LaunchNet7.zip]

Unzip this and install the .exe by copying over the identically named .exe in our folder where the launcher shortcut points to.
Generally [b]C:\Program Files\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe[/b] but it depends on how you installed everything.
[/quote]

i will try it if it don't work i wonder if it could be my router causing the problem

[quote name='falcon74' timestamp='1304729177' post='40321']
i will try it if it don't work i wonder if it could be my router causing the problem
[/quote]

did not work i get the same thing

Open the black box back up, type:

netstat -ao

This will run a list of all outbound connections on your PC (don't have the launcher running at the time)

Look for one in the "Foreign Address" column that ends with

:443

Longshot but the port could be bound up and in use.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304731325' post='40325']
Open the black box back up, type:

netstat -ao

This will run a list of all outbound connections on your PC (don't have the launcher running at the time)

Look for one in the "Foreign Address" column that ends with

:443

Longshot but the port could be bound up and in use.
[/quote]

i don't see anything that ends with 443

here is 2 sceen shots of what is says Edited by falcon74

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304733738' post='40329']
Huh, let me mull this one over a bit, maybe I'll have an idea soon. ;)
[/quote]

i think it has something to do with my pc i changed pc's and i got the net 7 launcher to update and run

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304734389' post='40332']
Win7 or Vista by chance? (You have to run as admin on either of them, explicitly, even if your account is the computer admin.)
[/quote]

win7 and i was running as admin i think i just need to restore it and have a fresh windows on it and it should be good to go

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304734389' post='40332']
Win7 or Vista by chance? (You have to run as admin on either of them, explicitly, even if your account is the computer admin.)
[/quote]
do you know why or just echoing what someone in the internet told you ?

--

falcon74: see if deleting LaunchNet7.exe.config file helps.

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1304741021' post='40335']

--

falcon74: see if deleting LaunchNet7.exe.config file helps.
[/quote]

i'm just going to reload windows and start with a fresh copy and then go from their maybe their is something wrong in windows

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1304741021' post='40335']
[/quote]
---

Echoing from my experiences creating a new installer for this game which hasn't been released yet, because UAC (if enabled) prevents changes made programmatically to the registry, to the Program Files directories, and the Windows directory to resist malicious attack, or at least I'd assume that's the reason, but that wasn't clarified in black and white with the MS documentation nor anywhere else that I can find. Does that help? I rarely echo things from the internet unless I have personal experience, the internet is an inexact thing.

*edit1*

Looks like someone wrote a wikipedia article on it since I wrote this but just to share:
[quote name='Wikipedia User Account Control']
[font="sans-serif"][size="2"]
[b]Tasks that trigger a UAC prompt[/b]
Tasks that require administrator privileges will trigger a UAC prompt (if UAC is enabled); they are typically marked by a security shield icon with the 4 colors of the Windows logo (in Vista and Windows Server 2008) or with two panels yellow and two blue (Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2). In the case of executable files, the icon will have a security shield overlay. Ed Bott's [i]Windows Vista Inside Out[/i] lists the following tasks which require administrator privileges:[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control#cite_note-5"][6][/url][/sup]

[list][*]Running an Application as an Administrator[*]Changes to system-wide settings or to files in %SystemRoot% or %ProgramFiles%[*]Installing and uninstalling applications[*]Installing device drivers[*]Installing ActiveX controls[*]Changing settings for Windows Firewall[*]Changing UAC settings[*]Configuring Windows Update[*]Adding or removing user accounts[*]Changing a user’s account type[*]Configuring Parental Controls[*]Running Task Scheduler[*]Restoring backed-up system files[*]Viewing or changing another user’s folders and files[*]Running Disk Defragmenter
[/quote][/list]
and definitely simplified for NSIS since I wrote it (took a bunch of code then):
[url="http://nsis.sourceforge.net/UAC_plug-in"]NSIS - Plug in for UAC[/url]
[/size][/font]
In theory though this is what is contained by that config file:

[code]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<configSections>
<sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
<section name="LaunchNet7.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
</sectionGroup>
</configSections>
<system.net>
<defaultProxy enabled="false">
<proxy/>
<bypasslist/>
<module/>
</defaultProxy>
</system.net>
</configuration>
[/code]

Without it, the Launcher should crash on startup saying something along the lines of Configuration failed to initialize. Its a necessary file (or should be, unless someone has recently changed the launcher)

Kyp Edited by Kyp

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1304776249' post='40348']Echoing from my experiences creating a new ..[/quote]yes, but EnB or proxy or launcher* only need admin mode because EnB installs itself to under "Program Files". trick is to install outside "Program Files" directory. like C:\Apps .

*only needs 'run as admin' to install certificate, but thats done only once.

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1304804741' post='40361']
yes, but EnB or proxy or launcher* only need admin mode because EnB installs itself to under "Program Files". trick is to install outside "Program Files" directory. like C:\Apps .

*only needs 'run as admin' to install certificate, but thats done only once.
[/quote]

Meh, I don't support non-standard installation practices ;)