computer reboots in fb

good morning

this may be completely out there, but is it possible for enb to cause my computer to reboot?

i have experenced a recurring issue in the fish bowl.

this has happened in glen while fighting the chevaz spawn for faction.

it seems to happen when there are alot of mobs on the screen at once.

it may be something on my end but my comp works all day without a glitch.

i know it sounds crazy but is it possible?

I suspect it's due to the graphics card overheating.

I've noticed E&B causes my PC to start heating up - the graphics card fan really revs up while the client is running.

1. Open up your box and clean all the dust off the heatsinks in there. In most cases this will fix all your probs. Could be that a wire has come lose or a wire is catching on a fan. Also check out all the vents on the case and make sure none are blocked by dust/cockroaches etc.

2. If you've got a graphics card with just a heatsink, no fan ... go & buy a small computer fan, fix it above your graphics card somehow (duct tape? Just be careful not to tape over any of the motherboard!).

3. If you're running software that controls the fan speeds, drop the temps and/or increase the fan speeds.

It's possible that E&B could be indirectly causing the reboots due to the CPU shutting down to try to stop overheating damage.

hope this may help,

TB

If i may make a suggestion, duct tape tends to slide when it gets too warm and the inside of a computer is definitely warm enough to make this happen.

Most 80-90mm fans have screw holes in the corners that will allow you to run small zip-ties through and anchor it to either the heatsink or chassis.

I have done this a few times on machines that don't have an actual mounting point for a fan and it works great.

Cheers,

biggrin.gif

thank you for the relpys :huh:

i have an nvidia geforce 5500 128 meg agp card which has a fan over the heatsink. when the copmuter is on, i can see it spinning.i guess the fan may be fadeing or spinning too slow. i did clean the dust,cockroaches and rust out of the case(found an old vw beetle in the mess :P )

i also have another card i can try if this returns after cleaning.

i think i can test this in glen as it happened there as well.

again thank you TB and Rypp :angry:

Might look into downloading EVGA Precision too. I believe it works for any Nvidia card and allows you to overclock its GPU and/or memory and even set a personal-constant fan setting (anything from 1% to 100% fan speed).

Another thing, it may not be a problem on your end. I get some funny stuff happening in the FB as well. No shutdowns but lag and graphic glitches. Just a thought to consider...

Another thing, it may not be a problem on your end. I get some funny stuff happening in the FB as well. No shutdowns but lag and graphic glitches. Just a thought to consider...

The worst that should happen if it's a problem on the server end is a CTD.

If you install the app as suggested, see if it has a temperature monitor - you'll be able to see if the temp gets dangerously high if it does, so you'll know one way or the other.