Connecting to EMU behind VPN?

Hi all,

I'm back from an extended break and was trying to connect to the server the other day! I am getting the server is offline and believe that it is a VPN related issue.

I have read the FAQ and suggests that net7proxy has some trouble getting around VPN's. I am behind a university VPN and was wondering if there's any way to configure the proxy to direct traffic through the VPN address?

Any ideas?

-tea

I've played through my university's (Penn State's) VPN before, so my hunch is that the VPN itself is not the problem. I believe it may have to do with your university blocking outbound connections on certain ports, or over UDP, which our connection system uses. In this case, there isn't much that can be done, but I'll try anyway.

First thing to try: In LaunchNet7, there is a "Local IP" drop-down box. Does it have more than one IP address in it? If so, try connecting once with each IP selected.

Thanks CDel for at least having a stab at it.

I've tried what you said (only one local IP is shown) and get the following error:

What boxes should be ticked? (i.e. Packet optimization, prototype reader, local cert, client detours?)

The ptr server shows "ONLINE-2" as its status..

-tea

Thanks CDel for at least having a stab at it.

I've tried what you said (only one local IP is shown) and get the following error:

What boxes should be ticked? (i.e. Packet optimization, prototype reader, local cert, client detours?)

The ptr server shows "ONLINE-2" as its status..

-tea

I'm getting closer. I've made it to Megan but when I enter in user/pass I'm getting the dreaded INV-301 (seems like a rather old one).

By the way - it would appear that my issues stopping me from getting farther previously were related to using an old version of LaunchNet7. I deleted the N7 folder and re-installed and it updated all the way to 1.9.9.10.

What does the INV-301 error say? It's been so long since we had a problem with that, I think I've only seen it a couple times.

Just gonna try and replicate the error now..

EDIT:

EA.COM is temporarily unavailable. This may be due to routine server maintenance or other network issues. Please try again later. (INV-301)

Edited by Icedtea

Just gonna try and replicate the error now..

EDIT:

EA.COM is temporarily unavailable. This may be due to routine server maintenance or other network issues. Please try again later. (INV-301)

It's really much the same as the 300. When you updated everything, did you run the launcher as an administrator? (assuming you're on vista or 7) aside from that, you can manually install the client certs from C:\Net7\bin\, all *.cer files, then try to launch again. (let them install automatically to the location, unless you're very careful with your cert store and know how all that works)

It's really much the same as the 300. When you updated everything, did you run the launcher as an administrator? (assuming you're on vista or 7) aside from that, you can manually install the client certs from C:\Net7\bin\, all *.cer files, then try to launch again. (let them install automatically to the location, unless you're very careful with your cert store and know how all that works)

Kyp,

I always run launcher as admin and had already thought of manually installing the certs (as i remember that being a fix many moons ago).. Any other words of wisdom or should I keep trying to play with it?

Thanks,

-tea

EDIT:

Not sure what it is I'm doing that keeps changing the errors, but now I'm getting:

Sorry, login doesn't appear to be valid, try again using default launcher.

Edited by Icedtea

Kyp,

I always run launcher as admin and had already thought of manually installing the certs (as i remember that being a fix many moons ago).. Any other words of wisdom or should I keep trying to play with it?

Thanks,

-tea

EDIT:

Not sure what it is I'm doing that keeps changing the errors, but now I'm getting:

Sorry, login doesn't appear to be valid, try again using default launcher.

Try again using default launcher huh? That's a new one on me, you are using the LaunchNet7 stuff linked above or linked from our FAQ at www.net-7.org, right?

Can you give me a screenshot of everything on the launcher before clicking play? That might be a good starting point.

Hi Ice,

I frequently get the INV-301 error because I also work from behind a VPN from time to time.

The reason this happens for me is because of the proxy server setting in Internet explorer. If you can access IE, click on the 'Tools' option, then 'Internet Options' at the bottom of the context dialogue that pops up, then click 'LAN settings'. Check to see if you have 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' checked. If you do, uncheck this setting while you log in. Once you have gotten past Megan, you can check it back again, and carry on playing, or remember to check it when you're finished.

It's to do with the authentication system. We haven't worked out a workaround, although I'm sure one exists.

Hope this may help.