Crashing in Vista

Ok, so after a couple days of fiddling with the NET7 launcher, I was finally able to get the launcher pointed in the right direction. I was very thrilled at the prospect of playing the game. After making it through the character creation screen, the game wound up crashing when I selected my character and hit the "Next" button. After a day or so of trying various fixes (I managed to get all the .exes and .bat files to have their "Run as Administrator" buttons checked, and they are all running in XP SP2 compatibility), I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it to a different directory (thinking that it originally being in the "Program Files" directory might have been messing with it.) Only now, the game crashes after the EA logo video. It doesn't even load the login screen.

The only clue I have is the "_expect.txt" file mentions this:

Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Access address:00000000 was read from.

Exception occurred at 00780005

It was giving me this before, when it would crash after character select, but now I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong, nor do I know how to fix it.

Any advice?

That sounds like a compatibility problem. Make sure you still have "Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe" set to run as administrator and to compatibility mode for WinXP SP2 or SP3, since you mentioned re-installing. Also, try running the E&BConfig tool in the "Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG" folder (probably need to run it with those same settings). When you run the config tool, change your resolution to something standard like 1024 x 768, run the Performance Test, and click OK. If that doesn't work, trying going back into the config tool and setting EnB to run in windowed mode.

No dice. I checked (and verified with the registry) that both "E&BConfig.exe" and "NET7Config.exe" are both running in XP SP2 compatibility and running as an admin. Crashed with the resolution set to 800x600 and 1024x768, windowed and full screen.

By the way, I want to point out that the configuration tool (more specifically, the performance test, runs 100% without a hitch.)

Edited by JaydeWizard

Hmm. Can you see what net7proxy is saying while this happens? Does it report errors or does it just say something like "Client has terminated. Sending termination signal."?

It says:

Net7Proxy version 1.90

Using IP: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)

30/06/10 17:42:41 Attempting to connect to IP adress: 87.106.15.67

30/06/10 17:42:41 Sending Login.

30/06/10 16:42:42 login OK

---During this time, the intro Video runs, then game crashes---

30/06/10 17:43:30 MVAS thread running

---Net7Proxy closes

Well, I am happy to report that the game is now up and running. I completely uninstalled everything, deleted all references to it in the registry, ran a memory check, defragged the hard drive, installed everything to completely new directories, and everything seems to be running just fine now.

Huzzah!

Indeed. What's interesting is that I'm running Vista, and it's working WITHOUT any of the .exe or .bat files being listed as running under WINXP compatibility, nor is the "Run as Administrator" box checked...

Odd.